Grey/White smoke from oil fill tube

/ Grey/White smoke from oil fill tube
Dusting meaning dirt that gets past the air filter. My intake was caked with dust/oil. It was worse on the rear just because the intake entered there.

I read your thread about your tractor. very informative.

Have you ever heard of oilburners.net?

Don't know what kind of truck you have but if you have a ford IDI you will find a ton of knowledgeable people and information there.:thumbsup:

Have not worked on the engine at all this summer due to lack of a job.

If the rear cylinder does need to be re-bored, could i have the cylinders bored out and then sleeves put in. that way when this happens again, hopefully a good number of years from now, i would only have to get new sleeves, rings, etc.?

The engine is not sleeved from the factory. just an idea we had.

/ Grey/White smoke from oil fill tube #46  
Check the cylinders for taper and out of round...Some engines can be sleeved, check at NAPA....You can even bore one cylinder if necessary.. Stop the dirt from entering the intake side.

so i might be able to bore out the problem cylinder and then put a sleeve in it so that i maches the other two?

Update:

today we go to start it to take the loader off and we cycle the plugs twice and it fires right off. it smoked black/grey smoke and very little white. we did what we had to do and we thought for kicks we would do a comp test again with the engine warm. all 3 cyl were 400 psi. speck is 425+-50psi iirc. tommorow we will check the comp again with the engine cold.

i used a steathescope (stick of wood) to listen to the valve train and it was noisy. i then listened to the injectors. the two front ones were about the same sound. the back one though was noticably louder and more "pingy". i also listened to the block and that was quiet. it seems that our noise is coming from the valve train and/or injectors. i also listened to the injectors that send fuel out of the IP and all three of them sounded differnet and none of them sounder exactly healthy. especially cyl#3 again.

When we tore the engine down last winter the back cyl, #3, was in tough shape as far as carbon build up. the top of the piston was black with carbon and the sides of the piston were all black. the rings had to be dug out of the piston they were so bad. the other two pistons were clean.

we had the injectors pop tested at the new holland dealer and they said that they popped off fine.

The thing we don't understand is how the comp seems to have "fixed" itself.
when we first started it today it had a little to much blow by out the oil fill neck on the valve cover. as it warmed up the blowby went away and is now completely gone. what could cause this?
the two front injector lines were cool. the back injector line was a little warm.

/ Grey/White smoke from oil fill tube #49  
I just read your thread. I did something similar project. If you got good compression and did a cylinder leak down test and it passes, I wouldn't be too concerned about the inside in the engine. You got the valves set propper? Next item ont the list would be the fuel pump and injectors. Have the fuel pump timed right to the engine? By any chance you don't have engine oil growing problem? If it smells like diesel and is thin, well fuel is leaking down the inector drive shaft. Did you get your fuel pump rebuilt? Do a pressure test on each line. If that doesn't do it gotta be in the injectors. To rule out NH didn't tell you crap, you can switch injector #3 with #1 and see if the noise went to a different cylinder. This doesn't take long, easy to do and quickly rules out a problem.

the injectors and IP is original with ~1960 hours on them. timing on the IP has not been checked nor adjusted. does that have to be taken to the dealer for that? Can the pop pressure on hte injectors be good but the injector still be bad? we called the dealer and thye want $135 for a new injector. is there any other sources for injectors?

the oil level is not growing. oil smells fine.