half ton chevy tow 9200lbs?

/ half ton chevy tow 9200lbs? #81  
this thread is kind of a dead horse, but i just got around to reading through it. a lot of people here live and breathe by the posted specifications and never let any common sense into the equation. i've never once looked to see the exact towing capacity of any of my vehicles - until now. there was a link in one of the early posts that had towing data for vehicles back to the early 90's and i looked up a couple of my previous vehicles:

1993 gm 1500 regular cab shortbed, 5.7 auto, 3.73 gears - 8500lb towing capacity

2000 gm 2500 crew cab shortbed, 5.7 auto, 4.10 gears - 8300lb towing capacity

i'm sure that site may not be exact, but it's probably not off by much. i'd like the real world common sense answer as to why that half ton is a better tow vehicle. answers that pertain to: "it's against the law" or: "your insurance will deny a claim" or anything similar need not be posted, because they aren't common sense. they're fine print exclusions. i've owned them, and i'd take the 2500 every day of the week, and twice on sunday. the axles are at least twice the mass, the brakes are pretty well double in size, the transmission is better geared toward loads (4l60 vs 4l80), the frame is heavier and deeper in section. there's nothing about the 2500 that is inferior when compared to the 1500.

if there is any reason that i can guess at it would be that the same engine in the heavier truck would be struggling at highway speeds. i can't see where this is anything of a safety issue, but more of an inconvenience issue. you can go find an old medium duty truck that is still road legal that was capable of towing much heavier loads half a century ago that ran on an inline 6 with barely over 200cid. there's no way that can maintain speed loaded either, but people here wouldn't throw a hissy fit if you loaded that up like the half ton in question. i wonder if the manufacturer capacities are to lessen warranty issues on overstressed engines and not safety?

/ half ton chevy tow 9200lbs? #82  
I have a 2010 Ford F150 and a 22 ft PJ trailer rated for 14000 lbs, trailer is brand new, good working brakes. I haul my Kioti DK50SE with loader and Woods backhoe with this setup easily, I am very close to the posted gcvw with the load, I am actually over the limit if one goes by the rating of the truck/trailer combined, which is what the law goes by, however my actual load doesn't exceed. My next truck will be a 3/4 ton simply because I don't like to put that much strain on the half ton truck, I don't have much faith in half ton automatic truck trannys holding up when pulling a load, even if I don't do it often or for a long trip.

/ half ton chevy tow 9200lbs? #83  
1993 gm 1500 regular cab shortbed, 5.7 auto, 3.73 gears - 8500lb towing capacity

2000 gm 2500 crew cab shortbed, 5.7 auto, 4.10 gears - 8300lb towing capacity

i'm sure that site may not be exact, but it's probably not off by much. i'd like the real world common sense answer as to why that half ton is a better tow vehicle.

I can't give you a common sense answer why the 1500 is better. I can give you a possible answer for why it was rated higher.

Was the 1500 a better equipped or more highly optioned truck than the 2500?

I wonder if the 1500 was well equipped, so GM blessed it with a high (but still safe) tow rating. If the 2500 was a base model, it may have been deliberately underrated so GM can extract more $ from those who need the official blessing of a higher tow rating.

just a guess...

/ half ton chevy tow 9200lbs? #84  
It towed it no problem because there's NO way that excavator weighed 8000lbs! It's more like a 3600lb machine. Check out the NH web site for a new equivalent: NEW HOLLAND CONSTRUCTION | BUILT AROUND YOU The OP should have turned that hitch the other way so it made a 2in drop. Doing so will make the truck and trailer sit more level and tow better.

Last edited:
   / half ton chevy tow 9200lbs? #85  
The only funny thing about this story is that the excavator really only weights 3400 lbs. MAX. Just lookup the weights of all models of that machine and it's lighter than most CUTS. I did and this is the highest number.

I also find it funny that so many posters will comment on a situation where the 'facts' don't add up.
Now about this bridge I have for sale in NY ...

Guess you looked in the wrong place. The operating weight is over 8,200lbs.

New Holland*E35SR*Mini Excavator

That's a Richie Bros. web site. New Holland lists the weight at ~3600lbs. Check it out here: NEW HOLLAND CONSTRUCTION | BUILT AROUND YOU

/ half ton chevy tow 9200lbs? #86  
I can't give you a common sense answer why the 1500 is better. I can give you a possible answer for why it was rated higher.

Was the 1500 a better equipped or more highly optioned truck than the 2500?

I wonder if the 1500 was well equipped, so GM blessed it with a high (but still safe) tow rating. If the 2500 was a base model, it may have been deliberately underrated so GM can extract more $ from those who need the official blessing of a higher tow rating.

just a guess...

the 2000 truck was still the "classic" style that was kept in the 2500 & 3500 series through the 2000 model year until they came out with the "hd" line. 1993 & 2000 classic being the same sheet metal style. that truck was also as heavily equipped as it would come - plow prep, bilstein shocks, etc. the 1500 series would be your average run of the mill half ton. i can only assume those numbers are bogus on that site, but to be honest, i don't think the manufacturer differentiates capacities between options other than engine, transmission, and axle ratio.

/ half ton chevy tow 9200lbs? #87  
It towed it no problem because there's NO way that excavator weighed 8000lbs! It's more like a 3600lb machine. It's ~3.5 ton machine. Check out the NH web site for a new equivalent: NEW HOLLAND CONSTRUCTION | BUILT AROUND YOU The OP should have turned that hitch the other way so it made a 2in drop. Doing so will make the truck and trailer sit more level and tow better.

3.5 ton is 7700 lbs.

/ half ton chevy tow 9200lbs? #89  
Did you even read the New Holland Specs? Didn't think so.

Dude. From the link YOU posted. That particular machine weighs 3.5t OR 7700 lbs....

Nice edit, btw.