Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,761  
Chicago Electric Genrator powering a Chainsaw - YouTube

This guy shows how he was able to get the 800 watt HF generator to run his electric chainsaw. His approach makes sense and I want to try it with our pole saw for the back four since I do not have a back 40. :laughing:

Chicago Electric 800 Watt 2 Stroke Generator Frequency and Voltage Testing - YouTube

I reposted this link from above because it is sure to appeal to the geeks because he does a stress test using VOM and frequency meter. I just used a Kill-A-Watt which I think is a must if one owns ANY generator. He tested up to 1100 watt load.

Not sure why but the manual calls for a 25 hour break-in peroid before pulling 800 watt load. The manual stated it can be used for up to 30 minutes at 900 watts which is good for chainsaw use I would think.

Yesterday I got 10 hours @ 500 watts load and now am on the third tank going for 15 hours total run time. 5.5 hours @ 400 watt load run time in the manual seems to be correct.

Since the happy reviews that have 300-400 hours of run time on their 800 watt HF generators seem to have done the 25 hours break-in time up front I am doing the same. I still have to pick up another spark plug but it started OK this morning after 10 hours on the OEM plug.

Since I mix my 2 cycle fuel at 40:1 and now use Stihl HP Ultra synthetic that is what I am using for the generator. Some other reviewers use the same ratio but the labeled 50:1 ratio on the genset seems to work well per the reviews.

I used my 900W on a 1000W toaster oven for at least an hour with no problems at all..

Harbor Freight 900W generator - YouTube

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,763  
is that the HF hand pump? How do you like it?
Yes. It works great.

The store had two pumps that look identical. The one I got is reversible. (push or suck). That feature is handy for removing a little fuel if I overfill the tank. The other pump they sell is one-way only. it delivers twice as much fuel per crank revolution.

This reversible one moves fuel fast enough to fill the 5.8 and 3.8 gallon fuel tanks on my Yanmars but you might prefer the higher-volume pump for a tractor over 30 hp with its larger fuel tank.

They work OK until the hose comes loose and leaks all over...
:confused: ?? But that's not a limitation of the HF product. Its output is 3/4" female pipe thread.

I put a M/M Pipe thread / garden thread adapter in the pump outlet, then crimped a garden hose coupler onto this clear plastic tubing to make the delivery hose. It doesn't dribble and I don't see any reason it might.

If you mean the tip of the hose might leap out of the tractor's filler - I slipped that brass fitting on the hose near the end to ballast it so it won't jump around while cranking fuel. No problem so far.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,764  
HI Guys,

Got a new toy today- http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_6682.jpg {image on the right below}

My friend has one and loves it- he also welds full time and beats it up...

Retail 99.99, on sale for 89.99, 20% off coupon, 50$ b-day gift card, and 20$ off for a {non-function-impairing} broken auxiliary handle - in my pocket for just $1.65 over the gift card's total.

Coupon here:
Digital Savings

But I also just remembered a real lifesaver that my wife got me in about 2002, which has saved my back countless times: my pickup truck crane: {image on the left below}

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_18656.jpg

It is priceless in use, and we have {as I usually do} overloaded it numerous times, but it continues to work. HF has been great in supporting it- I ended up getting a new hydraulic jack this year, because over our freakish winter the relief port froze up permanently, and also had to get a new hand winch for it, 'cause the pawl on the old one bent when I tried to lift about 15' of a a 24" diameter locust trunk with it.

Here is the site:

Pickup Truck Crane W/ Cable Winch

As usual the sale and coupon combination brought it well below that retail, and it's already a bunch less than Northern Tool's almost identical product:
Northern Industrial Pickup Truck Crane 1000-Lb. Capacity | Hoists, Lifts + Cranes | Northern Tool + Equipment

As always- YMMV

T

Attachments

• image_18656.jpg.jpeg
    image_18656.jpg.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 616
  • image_6682.jpg.jpeg
    image_6682.jpg.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 442
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,765  
I can vouch for the metal cutting circular saw. It cuts unbelievably. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,766  
I looked for the metal cutting circular saw last time I was in HF, and I couldn't find it.

I've been looking at one of cranes for a while now. I have a canopy on my truck, so I couldn't really use it there, but on the 16' flatbed trailer, it would be great for loading / unloading when I didn't have the tractor available.

-Steve

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,767  
Yes. It works great.

The store had two pumps that look identical. The one I got is reversible. (push or suck). That feature is handy for removing a little fuel if I overfill the tank. The other pump they sell is one-way only. it delivers twice as much fuel per crank revolution.

This reversible one moves fuel fast enough to fill the 5.8 and 3.8 gallon fuel tanks on my Yanmars but you might prefer the higher-volume pump for a tractor over 30 hp with its larger fuel tank.

:confused: ?? But that's not a limitation of the HF product. Its output is 3/4" female pipe thread.

I put a M/M Pipe thread / garden thread adapter in the pump outlet, then crimped a garden hose coupler onto this clear plastic tubing to make the delivery hose. It doesn't dribble and I don't see any reason it might.

If you mean the tip of the hose might leap out of the tractor's filler - I slipped that brass fitting on the hose near the end to ballast it so it won't jump around while cranking fuel. No problem so far.

I must have linked to the wrong post. I'm talking about this pump:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,768  
Wife decided that she'd like to use our leftover pallet of bricks to do the "hot wall" of the kitchen at the new house in brick veneer. Since the 10" HF tile saw has gotten some positive comments, I decided why not?

I was surprised to find that the one I took home is SUBSTANTIALLY different from the display model. I don't know which SKU I actually got, but apparently NOT the 95385. The display model had two small copper tubes, one on each side of the blade, that I assumed would resolve the issues reported earlier with one-sided water flow. Mine has a plastic channel apparatus. It DOES wet both sides of the blade well. The saw works terriffic if the 10 or so bricks we have cut so far are any indication. The miter gauge needs to be forcefully clamped down or it will vibrate loose.

While shopping for blades for it at Home Depot I noticed that their over $700 10" tile saw is suspiciously similar!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,769  
...While shopping for blades for it at Home Depot I noticed that their over $700 10" tile saw is suspiciously similar!

I think you'll find that a lot with HF tools. They may be cheap chinese crap that wont hold up, but so is everything else in the hobbyist/homeowner market. The difference is HF is priced like cheap chinese crap, but other stores still think they can convince you that "you get what you pay for."

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,770  
I looked for the metal cutting circular saw last time I was in HF, and I couldn't find it.

I've been looking at one of cranes for a while now. I have a canopy on my truck, so I couldn't really use it there, but on the 16' flatbed trailer, it would be great for loading / unloading when I didn't have the tractor available.

-Steve
I think it can be had online HF METAL CUTTING CIRCULAR SAW WITH BLADE