Has anyone built a sprayer for dispensing chemicals 30-40ft into trees?

/ Has anyone built a sprayer for dispensing chemicals 30-40ft into trees? #1  

tstex

Gold Member
Tractor
1997 Kubota M5400S
Hello to all.

Have a lot of oak trees w bald moss, Spanish moss & other unwanted epiphytes. I would like dispense Kocide 101 or similar about 30-40 ft up into canopy of trees? I have a 60 PTO tractor.

Has anyone built a sprayer that is either PTO driven or separate engine that can spray in a steady stream that high into trees? If so, can you share your design & parts list? It would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance,
tstex

/ Has anyone built a sprayer for dispensing chemicals 30-40ft into trees? #2  
Prob would be best to rent a man-lift

/ Has anyone built a sprayer for dispensing chemicals 30-40ft into trees? #3  
Northern tools has a selection of sprayer/tank combinations that are all 12v. They rate them in horizontal and vertical reach.
I'm also the type to put something together myself if I can, this is one of those things that I can see spending more time and money on different components trying to get it right.
I have not ordered one yet because when I get to the shipping costs it changes my mind. (value wise)

/ Has anyone built a sprayer for dispensing chemicals 30-40ft into trees? #4  
I've sprayed many trees with this setup. Large tank with an attachment for garden hose in the back of the truck. 12v pump running to my pressure washer. Have someone drive slowly by the trees as I spray while standing in the bed. Fast, easy, and cheap(assuming you already have a pressure washer). Wear a respirator, proper clothes, and rubber boots.

/ Has anyone built a sprayer for dispensing chemicals 30-40ft into trees? #5  
Clothes you can toss.

/ Has anyone built a sprayer for dispensing chemicals 30-40ft into trees? #6  
Apparently Spanish Moss is native to the southern USA. Are you sure it is a problem?

I used to dislike mistletoe until I realized it was native to our local oaks, and really doesn't seem to cause substantial harm.

Anyway, you might also inquire whether a crop duster could do the spraying for you.

/ Has anyone built a sprayer for dispensing chemicals 30-40ft into trees? #7  
Google Jacto AJ 401 cannon sprayer....

/ Has anyone built a sprayer for dispensing chemicals 30-40ft into trees? #8  
A few years ago I was researching a project to get water 100+ feet in the air. I ultimately haven't finished it. But, here is a link for a high pressure high volume pump head.

They aren't particularly cheap. However, follow some of the related product links for similar pumps.

I believe the Meyer's pump is a liquid pump. However, if you had a large air tank that was partly filled with air, and partly filled with water, then you would be able to use a high volume air pump to expel the water in the tank. But, the water/liquid only pump can generate very high pressures.

/ Has anyone built a sprayer for dispensing chemicals 30-40ft into trees? #9  
I have a DEMCO lawn and garden sprayer. 25 gallon tank - PTO driven. With the tractor at 520 PTO rpm - using the high pressure wand - it will shoot 65 to 85 feet.

You going to manually spray your trees. I would consider some type of Haz-Mat suit to wear.

I bought it 36 years ago. Still used to spray the weed along the driveway.

/ Has anyone built a sprayer for dispensing chemicals 30-40ft into trees?
Thank you very much guys, appreciate the feedback !!

Yes, I will have all the necessary PPE and dispense on a windless or near windless morning, w wind to the back and spraying forward. I know no matter what, I am going to get blowback. Have a cover [w breather holes] for the tractor too

After I have had time to review, will post back. thanks again