HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out...

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #21  
Most of my vehicles have DTR lights and an auto sensor that turns on all lights at dark. These are two seperate sensors. DTR like mine only turn on the front lights and not the rear tail lights. For those with DTR, start your vehicle during the day and check to see if your tail lights are on as well. During daytime conditions such as driving into a whiteout people should manually turn on their headlight switch so they have rear lighting.

Agreed, and who was the absolute moron that decided that If DRL's were a great idea, and they are, why in holy heck should we not turn on the tail lights too!.. Someone actually decided not to turn on the taillights. Why I will never know.

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #22  
The people who don't use lights also forgot where the turn signal lever is. Used to bug me but now see signals on with no intent of turning just as often as not used so you can't trust em either way.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #23  
I think they made turn signals illegalin Illinois .

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #24  
Just run withe the hazards on all the time... covers lane changes, problems and indecision.

Sent from my brain using TractorByNet

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #25  
Just run withe the hazards on all the time... covers lane changes, problems and indecision.

Sent from my brain using TractorByNet

:laughing: I like that.

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #26  
Most drivers in this area turn on their headlights in rain, fog, etc., but there's always a few who don't. As far as I know, all the motorcycles don't even have a headlight switch; can't turn them off anymore, and it would be OK with me if cars were the same way.

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #27  
In Missouri all motorcycles must have the headlight on at all times when driving. I assume it is for safety and to help other drivers see you.

If it works for motorcycles I imagine it can work for all vehicles.

MoKelly

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #28  
I drive with my headlights on all the time. Not because I need them to see, but because I desperately want the other folks to see me.

Standard operating procedure when I was in Transportation with the Air Force.

Clean the snow and ice off the top of the vehicle, all of it: hood, top, trunk, lights on all sides. Use the long handled broom on the top of the trucks and buses. After cleaning off the vehicle, check the fluid levels and general condition (no leaks, parts missing or about to fall off, lights all working, brakes work, etc.) Only after the check did you actually drive it some where.

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #29  
In Missouri all motorcycles must have the headlight on at all times when driving. I assume it is for safety and to help other drivers see you.

If it works for motorcycles I imagine it can work for all vehicles.

MoKelly

Same for MC in Ontario. I go one better on my MC, and usually run High beam during the day.

I've read where Grayhound started instructing their drivers to use headlights during the day, back in the 1930s. By then, there was already enough data available on the crash reduction benefit.

With no annual inspections here, we also have plenty of problems at the other end of the vehicle. On the long commute I used to do, it was typical to see many vehicles (some not that old) with most Brake lights burned out. I always watched for that - it is one thing I think about, when reminding myself about following distance.

Burned out brake lights are worth a ticket here, but apparently that isn't effective as a deterent.

Rgds, D.

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #30  
I disagree, hazard lights are brake lights blinking rythimically until the guy actually does decide to stop and then the poor sucker behind has lost two or three seconds of his reaction time realising that the blinking has stopped and his safe distance is becoming nonexistant in a hurry. I know whose fault a rear end collision is but you all will disagree.