Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #21  
As usual people pick what they want on these tests. They latch onto what ever stat from the table they can and say that makes their truck the best. The truth is that the unbiased authors picked the Ford in the 3/4 ton gas, and Chevy won the rest.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #22  
Even though GM "won" the competition in this article, it has little bearing on how sales will be. After getting burned on stocks by Government Motors, I wouldn't consider one. As many know, GM is soon coming out with a new IPO for their stock, hoping to raise 12 to 16 billion. If they don't, they admit that they could be in trouble again. Read the "Risks and Challenges" in this article that came out yesterday http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100818/OEM/100819878/1018

With so many "what if's", no way I'm up for losing with that company again. Not just on stocks, but with a possibility of parts problems and, honestly, them being broken up and sold off in pieces.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #23  
Even though GM "won" the competition in this article, it has little bearing on how sales will be. After getting burned on stocks by Government Motors, I wouldn't consider one. As many know, GM is soon coming out with a new IPO for their stock, hoping to raise 12 to 16 billion. If they don't, they admit that they could be in trouble again. Read the "Risks and Challenges" in this article that came out yesterday http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100818/OEM/100819878/1018

With so many "what if's", no way I'm up for losing with that company again. Not just on stocks, but with a possibility of parts problems and, honestly, them being broken up and sold off in pieces.
Yep. Until GM is out from under the Gov't imposed union ownership and Gov't stock ownership, many won't buy even if the GMs are better.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #24  
I really like these comparisons but the proof is in longevity to me. Let's check back in ten years or so and see which truck is still hauling the loads. Now that's impressive to me.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #25  
. If you really want a truck to tow/haul more then get a class 5, 6, or 7 truck.

The problem is that even in the Dodge 5500 the GCWR is 26k. What good does it do to have a truck with a 19k GVW if you can only add another 6k in trailer weight? It seems to me that any 550/5500 should have at least a 30-33k GCWR, just to use the capacity of the truck, otherwise why buy any thing bigger than a 1 ton?

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #26  
The problem is that even in the Dodge 5500 the GCWR is 26k. What good does it do to have a truck with a 19k GVW if you can only add another 6k in trailer weight? It seems to me that any 550/5500 should have at least a 30-33k GCWR, just to use the capacity of the truck, otherwise why buy any thing bigger than a 1 ton?
The point of the 4500/5500 series trucks is the much higher payload. Typical 1-ton GVWR is around 13k lbs vs 19.5k lbs on the RAM 5500/F-550. (Payload=GVWR-Curb Weight). The 1-ton trucks are limited to around 6,500lbs payload vs. over 11,000lbs for the RAM 5500/F-550.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #27  
The point of the 4500/5500 series trucks is the much higher payload. Typical 1-ton GVWR is around 13k lbs vs 19.5k lbs on the RAM 5500/F-550. (Payload=GVWR-Curb Weight). The 1-ton trucks are limited to around 6,500lbs payload vs. over 11,000lbs for the RAM 5500/F-550.

Same with GMC--the 1-ton Sierras are pickups designed for towing not toting. The 4500 series is a rebadged Isuzu NPR most often seen in box truck configurations (furniture delivery trucks, etc), not trailer towing.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #28  
I really like these comparisons but the proof is in longevity to me. Let's check back in ten years or so and see which truck is still hauling the loads. Now that's impressive to me.

Yup. My old '96 Dodge sure passed that test with the only real issues being the transmission (after power increase to make the truck haul like I wanted) and for some reason these trucks are known for eating front "track bars". The track bar seemed to need to be replaced about every year and a half and both independent and dealer techs told me that such was "normal". It was annoying and cost me about $200 each time.

Otherwise, you couldn't bump the key fast enough for it to not start and it never needed engine work. After 10 years and a couple hundred thousand miles, I just decide it's time to move to a newer truck. My older Chevy with the 6.5 diesel actually ran well (contrary to what most people say about them), but kept having injection pump issues that made it unreliable. I'm a little over 2 years into my '06 F350 with the 6.0 PSD and I really love this truck. It had an initial oil leak (covered under warranty) when I first bought it, but has been flawless since even with a considerable boost in power when needed/desired.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #29  

The implication here is that you either haul or tow, not both. Not always the case.
As an example, when I was a kid I worked for a fencing contractor. We had a new '79 F-350 with a 12 ft bed. We hauled a unit of posts (approx 144), 2 tons of con mix, 10-12 bags of portland cement, all of our tools, and a mixer mounted on the back of the truck. Then we hooked up the 18' Zeiman equipment trailer with a Bobcat and a couple of attachments. Were we overloaded? You bet, just the truck was probably 2-3k over GVW then add the trailer and Bobcat and we were probably over the GCWR by a few thousand.
The point is very few of the people that buy the 450/550 class of truck are going to just tow or haul with it. Most contractors are going to run the truck at or near gross and pull a trailer with a Bobcat or tractor, so only having 6-7k of actual towing capacity is a waste on a truck of the size.
Personally,I think that if you are going to claim your truck has a 17-22k towing capacity, it should be over and above the GVW of the truck.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #30  
Personally,I think that if you are going to claim your truck has a 17-22k towing capacity, it should be over and above the GVW of the truck.
Again, it all comes down to CDL requirements.
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration said:
Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Commercial Driver's License Program (CDL/CDLIS) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
ANY vehicle that has a GCWR of over 26,000lbs cannot tow a trailer over 10,000lbs without a CDL-A license. So if you want to obey the law then that Ford with a GCWR of 29k,30k, or 33k lbs can only tow 10,000lbs UNLESS YOU HAVE A CDL-A LICENSE.
That Dodge RAM with a 26,000lb GCWR can tow it's full capacity of 17k lbs WITHOUT A CDL. Ford Super Duty's only have a max tow capacity of 15.7k lbs when under 26,000lbs GCWR. Their GCWR goes from 23,400 to 29,000 with nothing in between.
Like I've said a million times, it a numbers game that Ford likes to play and unless you have a CDL or don't want to obey the law then you can not haul as much as they make you think you can. Of course if you do get that CDL license then the higher GCWR comes in handy.