Help me decide on F 350 please!!!

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #11  
The 05 and later 6.0's were top notch along with the tranny. The 03's and early 04's were the ones with issues but in reality they should all be solved at this time through the warranty program.

Chris

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!!
The 05 and later 6.0's were top notch along with the tranny. The 03's and early 04's were the ones with issues but in reality they should all be solved at this time through the warranty program.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. Would you be comfortable buying an '06 350 Lariat Crew Cab with 174,000? This truck really looks brand new, not even a door ding. The bed liner ( assuming its original ) has not been cut out for the B & W hitch, so I doubt it's ever pulled a gooseneck. I feel the $18,000 price is a pretty good deal. I will probably only drive it 5,000 miles a year, mainly locally. But for those who say a diesel needs to be driven, I will drive it several times a week. My '96 is beginning to show it's age, and I really don't want to put much more money into it. Plus I think this SRW 350 should handle my trailer better than my F 250.

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #13  
Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. Would you be comfortable buying an '06 350 Lariat Crew Cab with 174,000? This truck really looks brand new, not even a door ding. The bed liner ( assuming its original ) has not been cut out for the B & W hitch, so I doubt it's ever pulled a gooseneck. I feel the $18,000 price is a pretty good deal. I will probably only drive it 5,000 miles a year, mainly locally. But for those who say a diesel needs to be driven, I will drive it several times a week. My '96 is beginning to show it's age, and I really don't want to put much more money into it. Plus I think this SRW 350 should handle my trailer better than my F 250.

Watch some of these videos, they are very informative..... YouTube - 6.0 vs 7.3 POWERSTROKE FORD DIESEL 1 OF 6

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #14  

The 6.0 is a good engine but can get expensive like others have mentioned. In all honesty I would keep looking. I have never owned a vehicle with over 125,000 miles so I can not say. The 7.3 would be much cheaper to maintain or even a late model 5.9 Cummins. The only problem I see with the late model Cummins is the package its wrapped in. I guess its all what your market and gut tells you

Chris

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #15  
Man, that's a tough call. I typically shop for good used vehicles 1-3 years old with low mileage. That's how I ended up with my 06 F-350 dually PS CC KR.
I bought the truck with around 3000 miles, and just turned 45K. I've pulled some seriously heavy loads, and it has a trailer behind it more often than not. I also carry an 11.5' Lance camper on occasion. No problems to date, it's been a fantastic truck. I actually re-covered 2 lariat center seats to replace the KR center consoles so I can carry 6 passengers, it came out very nice.
On your possible purchase, I guess the mileage would scare me away....but that's me. Do you have access to service records to see scheduled maintenance particularly oil changes? Running synthetics? More stuff to consider... Good luck!

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #16  
I think its a good upgrade but still alot of money. I just helped a friend that totaled his truck look for a newer truck and anything under $15K was rough for the money. He ended up with same year dodge '06 & spent alot more than what your looking to spend. I also helped sell a pair of 01 F350's that had really low miles around 50K but if they would have had an hr meter it would have been 10,000+hrs as they sat in constrution zones all day running stobe lights 10hrs a day 6days a week for 8 yrs. At least you know this one didn't sit or idle much. I wouldn't be scared of it. You will realy like it once you get in and pull something with. Most of my purchases are newer high mileage 100K+ but I have been known to buy a new one, I have always been happy with the used one because they usually didn't have payment.

Good luck shopping

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #17  
HCJ;
If your usage is so limited..... why would you want a diesel in the first place ? Your going to invest alot of money in that oil pit in the near future. The worst thing you can do is let them sit for extended periods of time.
Call an out of town Ford dealer and tell them you have this truck and want to sell it to them. This will give you an idea of its true value. Several local dealers wouldn't take a Ford V-10 in trade. I believe Ford quit building them also.
Diesels are not cheap to maintain. A lower mileage gas version would suit your needs much better................ but its your money, and image !

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #18  
HCJ;
If your usage is so limited..... why would you want a diesel in the first place ?

I agree, there is no need for a diesel for towing 13k lbs 3 or 4 times a year. Any newer gas 3/4-ton truck will do that easily, cost less to purchase, cost less to maintain and unless your towing hundreds of miles at a time, won't cost much more in fuel. Diesel in this area is more then premium fuel right now.

Here's one: Cars for Sale: 2006 Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab XLT in MC CORMICK , SC 29835: Truck Details - 270112018 - AutoTrader.com

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #19  
I agree, there is no need for a diesel for towing 13k lbs 3 or 4 times a year. Any newer gas 3/4-ton truck will do that easily, cost less to purchase, cost less to maintain and unless your towing hundreds of miles at a time, won't cost much more in fuel. Diesel in this area is more then premium fuel right now.

Here's one: Cars for Sale: 2006 Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab XLT in MC CORMICK , SC 29835: Truck Details - 270112018 - AutoTrader.com

I really like Fords but that truck wouldn't pull its own weight you won't find anyone that thinks the 5.4 is a good motor pulling anything more than a small boat or atv. I understand the OP wanting a good truck that will safely handle large loads when needed. I would say a v10 would work but if I would take an old smoker anyday over a new gaser.

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!!
The seller let me keep this truck for two days and have my mechanic check it out and allowed me to drive it a while. My mechanic spent several hour going over it. He is advising (since no records are available) changing all fluids and filters of course, and I would do this anyway just to start a program. He says it needs rear brakes. Again, no big deal. One front wheel bearing is suspect, and he plans to check it out further. Maybe needs a front hub assembly. Replace the serpentine belt, as it looks aged. The power steering feels really stiff, and he says to see if the fluid change helps and if not, maybe the pump is weak, but he needs to figure that out, but he sees nothing wrong with the front end. The tires are about 1/2 service. The rear pinion seal needs replaced. And the emergency brake sticks and needs repair. Of course, all of these things add up, but none are really anything serious, just expected maintenance issues.

I realize I could have a catastrophic failure of some major engine or transmission component anytime, but as far as he can tell, he sees no evidence of major issues brewing. And as I mentioned earlier, my older F 250 could break down anytime also.

I see this as an opportunity to get into a 10 year newer truck, with many more features and increased towing capacity, and 20,000 fewer miles than the one I have. I would certainly consider a V-10 but I have never seen one around here, as F-350 SRW seem to be pretty rare.

By the way, the engine shows 4000 hours of use. If you do the math, that is an average speed of over 43 MPH. I guess that shows a predominant use of highway miles, for what's that is worth. And the Carfax shows no reported incidents, and two owners. It was first titled in Charlotte, N.C. as a corporate vehicle and sold at 114,000, and the second owner was an individual in Charleston, S.C. It was used a little over 4 years, with an average use of about 43,000 per year.

Maybe I don't need a F 350, but my gooseneck 20 x 5 is heavy, and my Kubota M 6800 with a FEL and wheel weights and loaded tires, along with a heavy duty rotary cutter, and disc all adds up. I have never weighed it but it seemed all that my old F 250 could handle. I tend to want the best in any tool, that's just my nature. As you can see, I am trying to justify this purchase, as this truck is in such good shape on the outside. I guess I am willing to take a gamble on it based on what my mechanic tells me and how it drives. I just don't see any glaring red flags, other than the questionable reputation of the infamous 6.0 liter. And I will not let it sit for extended periods, as I will drive it 2 or 3 days a week. And lastly, my 14 y.o. daughter likes it better than my old one and isn't as embarrased to be seen in it, and my wife appreciates "it's less smelly and noisey". If I come back in a year complaining of a breakdown, some of you can tell me "I told you so!" But I think I am going to go for it. Thanks all for the input.