Help me decide on F 350 please!!!

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!!
Watch some of these videos, they are very informative..... YouTube - 6.0 vs 7.3 POWERSTROKE FORD DIESEL 1 OF 6

I watched these videos. They are pretty informative (and scarry) Where is this guy located? He seems to know his stuff. If you had a problem with a 6.0 L Ford (say something major like a head gasket or ERG) where would you take it? Would you trust the Ford dealer? My independent mechanic seems confident he could handle it, and I do trust him for routine issues, but this video suggests that any major repair requires some pretty specific experience. Anybody had any experience with diesel mechanics in upstate S.C.??

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #22  
I really like Fords but that truck wouldn't pull its own weight you won't find anyone that thinks the 5.4 is a good motor pulling anything more than a small boat or atv. I understand the OP wanting a good truck that will safely handle large loads when needed. I would say a v10 would work but if I would take an old smoker anyday over a new gaser.

Trust me, I am the first one to point out the weakness of the 5.4l in a towing environment after my experience with an F-150. The larger truck will be geared lower which helps but since he only plans on towing 3 or 4 times per year, then even an underpowered V8 would work fine unless your racing a GM or Dodge with the same load. :D

Either way, the OP seems to have made up his mind before even posting this thread so to him: Good Luck with the truck, if the engine has lasted this long with no apparent head gasket or injector issues then it will probably last another 200k just the same.

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #23  
I just looked on my local craigslist (Charlotte NC) $18,000.00 seems fair and $6,000.00 for your trade is very good several 96's listded between $4000.00 & $5500.00.

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #24  
Congrads now on the new truck now lets see the photo's. And 4000 hrs is not much on a diesel.

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #25  
Congrads now on the new truck now lets see the photo's. And 4000 hrs is not much on a diesel.

thanks, that makes me feel better. I will take some pictures later this week and post them. I am doing the deal today. By the way, when I change the fluids, what oil do you advise. Some recommend synthetics, so what brand specifically? Or is Rotella better? Any other recommendations on lubricants or filters?

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #26  
Everyone has there own reason and choice, in that truck with only putting 5K per year synthetic may be a good choice. Me I have always used Rotella 15w40 in the 7.3l's and used a international oversized filter. Best luck and enjoy the nice ride.

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #27  
Did you check out ford truck enthusist forum like I suggested? There are alot of threads you should read with your purchase. I've owned my 6.0 since 04 and I've got over 80k on it. It's been pretty good but has had all the common failures that the engine is known for. That being said my 04's 5yr warranty is up and I'm looking to trade it. I've got symtoms of a bad head gasket and I'm not willing to spend the 4k on repairs since there are so many other items which are so prone to fail. What I should have done was install aftermarket head studs when I first bought the truck. The truck was never chipped or abused, I towed up to capacity about 20 times a year 200 mile trips. Dispite Chris's claim the the early builds were the one's with issues do your own research.You'll see that the engine design is the issue. If you read the threads at FTE you'll see as many issues with 03-04 as 05-07. It's just the design, like I said eariler the truck needs to be run often and hard to minimize issues. Definatly change all fluids and filter and look into and EGR delete and coolant filter. These engine run specific coolant so do your home work. I've run mobil 1 full syn since new and occasionally run Rotella syn. I still needed a new turbo at 30k. I use the truck as a daily drive so it rarely sits. It is a strong performer for towing as long as you aren't making too much boost.

Matt;)

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #28  
. It's been pretty good but has had all the common failures that the engine is known for. That being said my 04's 5yr warranty is up and I'm looking to trade it. I've got symtoms of a bad head gasket and I'm not willing to spend the 4k on repairs since there are so many other items which are so prone to fail. What I should have done was install aftermarket head studs when I first bought the truck. The truck was never chipped or abused, I towed up to capacity about 20 times a year 200 mile trips. Dispite Chris's claim the the early builds were the one's with issues do your own research.You'll see that the engine design is the issue. If you read the threads at FTE you'll see as many issues with 03-04 as 05-07. It's just the design.
Matt;)

Matt,you made my point,the engine is a weak design from a head sealing point of view.It is always going to have head gasket issues,even with ARP studds,it will just last a little longer. International messed up when they built the engine with 4 head bolts per cylinder when everyone else uses 5 or 6 per cylinder.The clamping forces are not only weak,but spread to far apart.The engine is very hard on motor oil,it sheers it,and breaks it down faster than just about any other diesel out there.With 175K i see it being a ticking time bomb that may cost a good amount of money to get repaired,unless the previous owner has had the gaskets recently replaced,you will be doing this job shortly,and it will cost you a fortune.

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #29  
Matt,you made my point,the engine is a weak design from a head sealing point of view.It is always going to have head gasket issues,even with ARP studds,it will just last a little longer. International messed up when they built the engine with 4 head bolts per cylinder when everyone else uses 5 or 6 per cylinder.The clamping forces are not only weak,but spread to far apart.The engine is very hard on motor oil,it sheers it,and breaks it down faster than just about any other diesel out there.With 175K i see it being a ticking time bomb that may cost a good amount of money to get repaired,unless the previous owner has had the gaskets recently replaced,you will be doing this job shortly,and it will cost you a fortune.

I agree with all of your reply but one. From my research I've found no evidence that the ARP studs don't work. The guys running chips and studs are making huge HP and not blowing gaskets. The oem bolts are weak and the threads get stretched. But the problem is the cost of the repairs. If the diesel is a 6-7k option when new how can one justify the a repair with a cost of half of the engine? I certainly can't, and the problem is most of the common failures are all in the thousands. I would feel differently if Ford wanted to warranty these known failures but that isn't the case. I know when i bought a diesel I expect it to last to 200k without anything but normal maintenance. Though I wish the OP luck with his new truck I belive he'll quickly find out the truth about the 6.0 By the way Raw have you owned the 6.0?

Matt:confused:

/ Help me decide on F 350 please!!! #30  
thanks, that makes me feel better. I will take some pictures later this week and post them. I am doing the deal today. By the way, when I change the fluids, what oil do you advise. Some recommend synthetics, so what brand specifically? Or is Rotella better? Any other recommendations on lubricants or filters?

Rotella is the product of choice by most diesel burners. I use Rotella exclusively.