Help! Wife wants reassurance

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #11  
Well, I might as well through in my 2 cents; purely personal opinion, of course. It sounds to me as if the tractor/loader/backhoe is a pretty good deal. But instead of the "five-foot midmount mower for $1600, which needs $210 worth of hydraulics installed to raise and lower the mower. Also needs the mid PTO, which he can get new for $950, or if swapped with another tractor at the dealer's for $550" why not just go with a rear mount finish mower. It's not only cheaper, but my own personal preference even if they were the same price. Then you wouldn't need the mid-PTO and other stuff.

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #12  
Exactly my first thought, Bird. Then I thought about the backhoe. I bet they want to leave the backhoe on while they mow. If it were my tractor, I think I'd make sure I could take the backhoe off and put it on and get the RFM. With the money saved they can even buy a rotary cutter for the rough stuff and still be way ahead of the game.

So what is it, Welkin? Are you planning on leaving the backhoe on all the time? Surely someone here has experience with removing them and can tell you how much difficulty to expect. Perhaps the JD forum is a better place for that question. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance
Why do you like the rear-mount mower better?

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #14  
I agree with Jim. Dropping the backhoe is quick and easy and mowing with it on will be a pain. A rear mower will work out just fine and with the money you save you could get a tiller for your gardening.

Andy

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance
I guess I need to clarify. We don't HAVE to have the mower at all; we have a Wheel Horse and a Kubota to mow with. But the mower was available and reasonable, not too old, so - is Tool Man going to turn down an opportunity to decrease the free floorspace in the barn? Equipment seems to come to him as if to a magnet. Both the WH and Ku were inherited, include mower deck, snowblower for WH, Howard tiller and front blade for Ku.

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Equipment seems to come to him as if to a magnet. )</font>

Ahh yes...
Equipment to a man is like jewelry to a woman. You just never get enough. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #17  
Welcome!
The 430 hours is nothing for that engine. The whole deal is not bad, and that tractor is not underpowered unless one is trying to use implements that don't belong on it.

I agree totally with Bird about the rear finish mower. They are much easier to hook up, and it's not hard to cut around just about anything. The only real advantage to the MMM is if you have way too much close stuff to cut around. With the RFM you sometimes will have to back into and between things, but that's not all that hard.

Price-wise, you could get two good RFMs for the price of the MMM. and wouldn't have to spend the money for extra hydraulics.

You're right, you rarely see used subrame backhoes for sale.
The backhoe is easily removed, probably not more than a 10 minute job once you're accustomed to it.

Another thing about RFM vs MMM. The maintenance of a RFM is simpler and probably less costly as well.

Just make sure you guys get on that tractor and operate it for at least 30 minutes and operate every bit of the hydraulics and look for any problems. After about 30 minutes, most anything is going to show up. Try to use it to acutally DO something like drag a box blade etc. Use the backhoe and dig a little, checking out the swing and other operations for any glitches.

John
John

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #18  
Hi welkin2 Im from Orleans county on the west side of Rochester. I deal with ontrac in Brockport. You can not go wrong dealing with Kieth, Eric, and the gang. They are top notch folks. Thier customer service is something seldom seen these days. I know this sounds like A commercial but its that good. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Mike

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why do you like the rear-mount mower better? )</font>

This has been a frequently discussed topic for a long time on Tractorbynet. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages so it really comes down to personal preference. My personal preference is for the rear 3-point mower as I said in this post.

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I bet they want to leave the backhoe on while they mow. )</font>

I'll admit that I didn't even think of that, Jim. I'm sure it's been done, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone mowing with a backhoe on at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif