Help! Wife wants reassurance

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #21  
I agree with the others about the rear finish mower instead of MMM, particularly since you have another one.

My neighbor has a 4310 with FEL, grapple, LX5, HUGH (about 18" OD) post hole digger that he's planted several large trees with and back blade that he uses to maintain his gravel driveway. He has only 5 acres. Both of ours slope down about 25% over a 100 ft drop from ridges where our houses are to the creek land. He says his takes all its power to run the LX5 going uphill. It'll do it though.

I've a little 4010. Mine goes up my back hill fine, even in high range, but it has half the weight of the 4310. Haven't tried it in high range running the LX4 though. Don't really want to run a brush hog with it in high range anyway. Hit a rock or drop in a hole, and who knows what would happen.

Ralph

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #22  
Is the backhoe a subframe mount or 3ph mount? If it's a subframe (which you for sure want) then I doubt you can have the backhoe and mmm on at the same time. Now I'll admit I don't know much about JD, but that's what I was told last year. If the backhoe has subframe mount it is easy to drop it off, now switching to the mmm is another story. If JD is like NH (ok so one's an ugly green and the other is beautiful blue) all the mounting hardware for the bh has to come off, then you put on all the mmm hardware. I know because that's what I have, I'm not crazy about it buts what I need so I put up with the extra work. I'd agree with the others that overall a RMF would be much simpler. Just doesn't work for me. Will it for you?

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #23  
Stay away from MMM. They are a PITA. Get a 3 point finish mower or bush hog.
Good luck

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If JD is like NH (ok so one's an ugly green and the other is beautiful blue) all the mounting hardware for the bh has to come off, then you put on all the mmm hardware. )</font>
My Kioti is the same way unless one has the Woods loader and backhoe. The Kioti backhoe hardware precludes the use of a MMM unless the hardware is changed out each time! No way jose.
John

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #25  
We recommend a RFM (rear finish mower) It's easy to connect/disconnect and it does a nice job of manicuring the grass.

Welcome to TBN.

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance
Wow! thanks for all the great replies, guys! I think I just may be able to convince my husband of the merits of a RFM. Also, he is now not sure that the 5 footer is even going to fit on this tractor. The newer 33 hp JD only takes a 6-footer. I'm liking the idea of the RFM more and more.

No, we won't be mowing with a backhoe attached! That would be waaaay too tenderfoot! The backhoe will spend most of its time in the barn alone. Well, with all the other "jewelry."

Dirtboy (Mike) - we did go out to Brockport and got a quote on a new 3320 from Keith. Yes, really nice guy. But he's almost an hour away, and Bob James is 10 minutes away. FYI - James was independent until recently bought by OnTrac. He had sold to 2 employees and retired. They couldn't make a go of it, OnTrac bought them out and brought Bob back.

We'll be heading out there today to use the machine. Thanks for the tips on what to check out, KiotiJohn.

Welkin2

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #27  
I live in Monroe county and purchased my loader and mid-PTO through On-Trac. The PTO kit is discountinued and the factory only had two left so I opted to add it in case I go with the MMM. The tractor I purchased was from McGrew Equipment in Penn. State. The tractor was 10.2K, w/650 hours, without the loader and mid-PTO. My family's done alot of business through On-Trac over the years. They do okay in price and Terry at On-Trac helped me during my tractor purchase by running the serial numbers through John Deere. I'd think you won't go wrong with your set-up.

Doug

BTW - If you do decide on the MMM I'd seriously look into the 72" MMM instead of the 60".

/ Help! Wife wants reassurance #28  
The newer style frames, on the 447 and I think the 47 backhoe can be mounted at the same times as a MMM. But why (as it sounds all are agreed)?

The tractor is a decent deal and a great machine. Buy it. You folks will never be sorry and you will be on it every chance you get. The other machines will whither away to rusty lawn ornaments.

I am in the forget the MMM camp. Get a 3pt rotary cutter instead. When a field gets too high due to weather, in early spring, my wife and I double up. I go ahead with the cutter on one of the larger tractors and she follows behind with the finish mower. You engineers out there will appreciate this as an FFT,
Family Farm Time. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, guys, we operated the tractor and there was no question - this is one great machine! The backhoe operation is so intuitive that I could dig a hole on the first try. Need a little practice to be smooth, but it is not intimidating at all. I'm impressed with the turning radius, too.

When we went to check it out, I was convinced we wanted a RFM, and my husband was holding out for the MMM. After we saw a new Frontier 6 ft RFM, with rear discharge, and the used JD MMM we had first considered, we both changed our minds! The RFM is humongous! And it is NOT cheaper than a MMM, at least comparing those that the JD dealer has. But hubby liked the 6 foot cut and the rear discharge of the RFM.

We slept on that decision, and finally decided on the used MMM for several reasons: costs less, more maneuverable and easier for me to mow because of that, and maybe most of all, takes up less floor space. Our storage is at a premium, and the RFM will always take up a 6 x 6 space. The MMM will be under the tractor almost all of the time. If the 5 footer doesn't work out, we can always get a 6-foot. But this was available and reasonable.

Also, we will need the mid PTO anyway if we are going to ever get a snowblower, which we probably will do at some point.

So there it is! We expect delivery sometime this week, and if you are interested I will post a pic or 2. Thanks for all the input- I am really impressed by this site and will check it out for every question I have (and there will be many, I'm sure!)

Welkin

Well, guys, we operated the tractor and there was no question - this is one great machine! The backhoe operation is so intuitive that I could dig a hole on the first try. Need a little practice to be smooth, but it is not intimidating at all. I'm impressed with the turning radius, too.

When we went to check it out, I was convinced we wanted a RFM, and my husband was holding out for the MMM. After we saw a new Frontier 6 ft RFM, with rear discharge, and the used JD MMM we had first considered, we both changed our minds! The RFM is humongous! And it is NOT cheaper than a MMM, at least comparing those that the JD dealer has. But hubby liked the 6 foot cut and the rear discharge of the RFM.

We slept on that decision, and finally decided on the used MMM for several reasons: costs less, more maneuverable and easier for me to mow because of that, and maybe most of all, takes up less floor space. Our storage is at a premium, and the RFM will always take up a 6 x 6 space. The MMM will be under the tractor almost all of the time. If the 5 footer doesn't work out, we can always get a 6-foot. But this was available and reasonable.

Also, we will need the mid PTO anyway if we are going to ever get a snowblower, which we probably will do at some point.

So there it is! We expect delivery sometime this week, and if you are interested I will post a pic or 2. Thanks for all the input- I am really impressed by this site and will check it out for every question I have (and there will be many, I'm sure!)

Welkin