Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma?

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #21  
My Titan was made in a huge plant just north of Jackson, MS by American employees (unless they get away with hiring illegals) that are paid in U.S. dollars, I'm sure most of which are spent in the U.S.

That's how I justified it being OK to buy a seemingly Japanese vehicle anyway.

Of course, those employees are prob using those dollars to buy lots of Chinese-made stuff at local stores ... just like you & me.

Most likely.

We just had a discussion about WalMart at work. It got a bit heated when I made the statement that as the largest single employer in this country, WalMart has probably contributed more to the UAW (and other organized labor) than any other company but the UAW keeps on disparaging WalMart.

Always good to bite at the hand that fills your wallet.

What this country needs (but will never get because it's not politically correct) is a stringent policy of protectionism, a binding tarriff schedule and the attitude of American made products are the best around. That's what made this country what it was, not what it is today.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #22  
For your towing needs, id say Tundra.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #23  
You prefer you money is going offshore I take it....just sayin.:)

I've got my DD214 and not apologizing for supporting US workers in San Antonio,TX, where my particular unit was built, utilizing something like 85+%, made in the USA, parts :thumbsup:

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #24  
My dads is not a Lariat or King Ranch. Its a XLT with the FX4 package, leather, and the chrome package.

He ordered it that way.

As far as the 18 mpg goes, his truck has not seen one mile of highway to speek of. He does not venture more than 20 miles from home. I bet it would get in the low 20's to mid 20's on the highway. Maybe we will see, he is retiring Friday.

Chris

So, what did that XLT(FX4) 3.5, twin turbo, 6 cylinder truck cost your dad ??

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #25  
Wow another timely thread.
I was just on the Toyota lot the other day looking at a Tacoma.They look pretty plain compared to the Fords, Chevy's and GMC. And I best not forget the Dodge Rams. So now I am in a quandry. I use an old Chevy Venture van (V6) and a home-made trailer to haul stuff. However I would realy like a P/U. My last one, a 94 Dodge Dakota was ruined by a wayward Pasture Pleaser. I would use it for daily transportation back and forth to school (35m Round Trip) and hauling the occasional building projects, supplies.
I like the Tacoma (V6) and the way Toyota's seem to hold their value. Of course I would run it till the wheels come off.
So I guess I'm asking for a bit of guidance. Toyota or one of the others?

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #26  
As a non-Toyota outsider looking in...

I would really consider the Tundra. They both get basically the same fuel mileage. The Tundra will out pull, out haul, and has more room.

If the Tacoma got much better mileage, then it may be more of a consideration.

Otherwise, I think the first truck I would look at is that twin turbo Ford...

I take that back, because it is too new. I would find a year or two old truck, that someone else took the initial depreciation.....

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #27  
No you don't. They have rows of base reg cab 2wd steel wheel XL's with the 3.5TT in them at our small town dealership. They are 900$ more on the window than the V6 XL sitting next to them. I don't even think there was a CD player in them.

Ya, thats the only way you can get that 3.5(loaded). You can't get it in an XL or an XLT;you got to buy the company, a Lariat or King Ranch. No thanks, I don't want to spend $40,000 for a V-6 truck ;) Oh, and I average 17+ MPG in non-interstate driving with My '07 Tundra;just sayin

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #28  

I think it was somewhere between 42K and 45K. Not sure, never really asked. It has every option other then Lariat or King Ranch Package.

Chris

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #29  
I priced one out in Canada 2 weeks ago for 32,000$ financed. Not including freight and PDI.
Usually our prices are a bit higher. It was an XLT Crewcab, 4x4, 3.5 ecoboost, FX4, max tow package with tow mirrors.

The reg cab 4x4 max tow version let me drop a few options and was at 27,000$. The extended cab was about 29,000$ The cheapest I could setup with max tow was something like 17,000$ in a 2wd reg cab reg bed.

Again this is Canada where your 15,000$ base model Toyota Matrix is our 20,000$ B-package Matrix, and the **** thing is made here.

Edit: May not be an FX4 in the first price, it was the locking diff and skid plate option.

Last edited:
   / Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #30  
I have had Tacoma's in the past and loved them, currently have a 5.7 Crew Cab long bed Tundra - Great truck, lots and lots more room inside, tons more power, massive pain to part in tight lots but would buy another one. The gas mileage is lower then the Tacoma but really not all that much. My Tacoma never did that great on fuel but also was not horrible. I don't put a ton of miles on my truck a year so the difference in gas is literarily about $100 a year so I was not concerned.