Help with sapling puller?

/ Help with sapling puller? #22  
What if....

The same principles used in the "weed wrench" were applied to a FEL device that basically did the same thing? The FEL loader gets the thing in place since it will probably weight 300-400 lbs with all the steel on it. Aux. hydraulics would certainly help the gripping mechanism, but probably not necessary. Once in place, put the FEL in 'float' and back up in the lowest gear possible, multiplying the the reverse force of the tractor by the ratio of the lever.

When pulled straight up using only the loader hydraulics (not the lever) it could be used to pull fence posted without damaging them.

I could see saplings or small trees up to 4 or 5" being pulled in soft soil, but then again I'm just speculating.

/ Help with sapling puller? #23  
I have been thinking of something like a J shaped hook that would attach to the bucket edge. The long edge of the J would attach leaving the curved end sticking out about 6" from the edge. You would get the tree between the curve of the J and the bucket, curl the bucket to bind the tree and then either lift with the FEL or pull with the tractor. Not sure if it would work or not, but been thinking about it.

Mike

/ Help with sapling puller? #24  
TMcD_in_MI said:
It looks like the way to go is a steel V that is sharp enough on the inside edges that it will grab the trunk, but not so sharp that it will slice right through. I think I can do that.

You guys have been a great help. Thanks very much!

Tom

Tom, I didn't sharpen mine at all. Just used 1/2" thick steel & cut it out. by the time you pull it up by the roots, it will be stuck in the V's tight enough to have to set it down & back drag to get it to turn loose.

/ Help with sapling puller? #25  
TMcD_in_MI said:
EdK, thanks for filling me in on the Brush Brute. It would definitely do what I need, but I can't quite justify spending over $1k on it. My sapling problem isn't that widespread.

It looks like a nice piece of equipment, though. I can see why you are enthused about it.

Tom

Understood. One thing I have to say is it took me a while to get over investing $20K+ on a tractor to realize that I still just had nothing more than a good quality power unit - without attachments you can't accomplish anything! Still, you have to watch your $$$ and scale the tool appropriately to the task as you no doubt will do. By the way, my last implement was home built: a rock picking bucket.

/ Help with sapling puller? #26  
I made my teeth bar to get rid of all the honeysuckle shrubs on my property. It's made out of 5/16 plate and I havent bent anything yet. It also makes stripping sod a lot easier.

Attachments

• teeth1.JPG
    teeth1.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,231
   / Help with sapling puller? #27  
Do a search for "tree getter." You will see many hits on the topic--including the one that I built over a weekend out of 3/16 tubing and 3/8" plate with quick attach for the FEL. Next time I will purchase the QA plates on Ebay, as fabricating the quick attach took the bulk of the time. Works like a charm--I have adapted my approach to pull out smaller trees while bush hogging at the same time. Makes quick work of clearing a pasture. If you have some time and a welder, this is one to make for sure and at a fraction of the cost of the brush brute.

/ Help with sapling puller?
Guidster said:
Do a search for "tree getter." You will see many hits on the topic--including the one that I built over a weekend out of 3/16 tubing and 3/8" plate with quick attach for the FEL.
I did that Guidster. Thanks. Your tree getter looks great.

Tom

/ Help with sapling puller? #30  
BAGTIC said:
Something like this?

Rhinehart Grubbing Tongs ~ Gardening Tools ~ Nasco

I intend to buy one for pulling small trees and brush from a dam where I can not get my tractor and have to pull from a distance.

That's a pretty good idea and I bet you could make one for about 1/2 the price by modifying some import skidding tongs or cut the whole thing out of .500" plate steel.