Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #1  

W5FL

Veteran Member
Tractor
TYM T-1104/TX10 Loader Kubota M6800SD/LA1002 Loader Kubota RTV900
Finally found something that my Kubota tractor can't do - mow in small rocky area around outbuildings. Also noticed that Bird said he had one.

How well do these High Wheel trimmers work. They look like a big two wheel lawnmower but have a 5 HP or 6 HP string trimmer (looks like extra large trimmer line) to do the mowing.

I thought there was only one brand but noticed that Troy builds a regular start and electric start model, Craftsman builds them, Home Depot and Sam's Club (WallMart) sell a national brand.

Any experience with how well or how reliable they are and the cost of expendibles (nylon line) and does the line come in rolls or just straight pieces cut to length.

Looks like the answer to how to mow in brush laden areas where the tractor can't get and where the rocks would tear up a conventional lawnmower and more heavy duty than a string trimmer.

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #2  
Doggone it, wen, we just had a discussion on the DR trimmer/mowers recently (I have one and Mark was thinking of buying one, and PaulB has the Craftsman model), but now I don't remember exactly when it was or in which forum. Anyway, I have what was the biggest electric start model a couple of years ago. I think they're overpriced, but otherwise a fine and handy tool. Mine sure gets a workout. And it does use two individual cords. You can buy the string from them on spools and you cut it, or you can pay a little more and buy it pre-cut to length (although I cut mine 2" longer than the manual calls for), but I also buy my string locally (you can use any brand or type you like).

Bird

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #3  
I'm pretty sure it was just before the new board came online.

A nice long thread with lots of good info.

Mark

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #4  
That's part of getting old and forgetful, I guess. I thought it was after the new board came on line, but if it was before, that explains why I didn't find it using the search function./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #5  
You were right, Mark (as usual). wen, go to the archives and enter "DR trimmer/mower" in the search topic.

Bird

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #7  
Clearly, we're engaged in a round of "synchronized posting".

Mark

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #8  
Yeah, and it's past my bedtime. Good night!

Bird

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #9  
I also have the DR. I recently bought the chain saw blade for it.....WOW. They are over priced, but they do a great job. One complaint though, the thing is powerful enough to throw good sized stones and usually, they get me in the shins. OUCH.

Mike.

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #10  
I, too, have the "Beaver Blade"; it's fast and powerful, all right. Are you missing the rubber guard under the back of your DR?

Bird