Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #21  
Bird,
I'm not talking inverted flight here, just something that is too steep to drive the Kubota up and down. Maybe a 45 degree angle at the most for the B&S. You know something that you can just barely stand on.
Von

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #22  
The company in California that manufactured Roof Mowers was recently purchased by Bachtold Brothers of Gibson City, IL. (www.bachtoldbros.com). Bachtold is now producing at least some of the Roof products. (I don't know the extent, but have seen photos of the high wheel mower in a trade magazine.) The 2 companies were fierce competitors in the high wheel weed mower business for many years. Also, Bachtold manufactured the Field and Brush mower sold under the DR label by Country Home Products. (www.countryhomeproducts.com) Country Home now sells a newer design but still supplies parts for the "classic" DR field and brush mower. These are blade type machines and not suitable for mowing rocky areas. DR Trimmer/Mowers are string machines suitable for rocky conditions. The models with engines with oil pumps can be used on slopes up to 25 degrees, but they are not self-propelled. I would really like a string unit attachment for the DR Field and Brush Mower which is self-propelled for use on steep rocky areas. I sent a request to CHP and received a nice response, but so far the product has not appeared. I have both the DR Trimmer and 14 hp DR Brush mower and am very pleased with the performance of each. CHP is a great company to deal with.

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #23  
Thanks for the info Jack
Gordon

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #24  
Von, I'm sure there are people on here who know more than I about the B&S engines, but from what you say, I wouldn't worry about hurting the engine mowing on that.

Bird

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers
Well, I bought the Home Depot 6.5 hp model trimmer. It has 16 inch wheels. If I can crank it, it should cut weeds. It didn't have a beaver blade, but it only cost $299 and the third Home Depot I found had one today! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #26  
Bird,

Thanks for the great link. You're appreciated!

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #27  
Von and Bird,

I am finally getting around to posting on this new board. I had previously posted some of this info on the older board.

I had purchased the Sears String mower and was very pleased with it (5.5 hp Techumshi engine). I was really impressed with how well it cut tall grass.

However, while mowing up a hill (around 35-45 degrees?) the oil would run into the cylinder causing the engine to smoke excessively. I took to trimmer back for a new one (thinking the first one may have been defective) and the new one did the same thing. I took it back and now don't have one at all. Ironically, I mow the same hill with a cheap $99 push mower with a 3.5 Techumshi engine with no problems. I wanted the trimmer because it would not be as likely to cut toes off if I slipped.

Lessons Learned: (1) The offset feature would have been very helpful. The Sears model didn't have that and so the wheels kept catching the fence when trimming along a fence. (2) The "satisfaction" guarantee that Sears has was helpful. Von may want to check the return policy on the whichever mower he tries. TSC will let you return their model if you don't like it for a 10% fee. They have a model with a B&S engine that I'll probably try next.

Hope this helps,
Kelvin

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #28  
Keven,
I guess you and I have the same type of slopes. I was cutting two days ago and slipped, lucky for me that I was able to catch myself before losing any toes! I think I am going to start wearing cleats while mowing this one spot. I also have gone to tying a rope to the push mower and lower it down the slope and pull it up from the top. I did get the oil to get top of the cyl. Boy do you want to talk smoke! Looked like the place was on fire! I don't think I did any real damage to the mower, just added a little oil and it is still running fine. I guess I will have to use the hand held string trimmer to get it all. Let me know how the new trimmer works and which kind you get.
Von

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #29  
I have the DR commercial model and have been using it for about a year now. It does a wonderful job for most things, but I find it rather difficult to use on slopes. Going down is easy, going up is hard depending on the grade, and going across the slope is tireing fighting the tendency to go downhill. I use a Stihl gas-powered string trimmer with harness and bicycle-type handlebars for the slopes around my pond.

The thinner orange string is best for most trimming and it doesn't break easily. The swiveling-head feature is very handy.

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers
I haven't learned to get my hand off the hand clutch quick enough when something starts to wind around the spinning hub. So far I have wound up about 10 ft of a wire rope cable and about 10 ft of #6 (big wire) ground wire. Boy that thing is strong. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif