Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #11  
No, the rubber guard is there. If I use the orange string (lighter weight) it's not as bad. But the green heavy weight string will send golf ball size stones flying. I found some orange string that is shaped like an x. It has edges that cut grass much better that the plain round. Doesn't hold up as well in brush, though.

Mike.

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #12  
I tried a little of their green extra heavy duty string (.155") and I just don't need anything that heavy. Their orange heavy duty (.130") is plenty big enough for most of what I do, and for most of the trimming in and around the yard, I prefer the regular (.095") string or .105", and like you, I found a long time ago, the 4 or 6 sided string seems to cut grass a lot better than regular round string, so I buy mine locally.

Bird

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #13  
I find that the green string bogs the machine down in heavy grass. It just doesn't spin fast enough, too heavy I guess. I didn't realize there were others. I'd only seen the two types. I'll have to try some of the smaller gauge stuff for trimming the grass.

thanks, Mike

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers
Didn't find any DR brand trimmer/mowers.
ST622 Ariens is fairly common 6 HP 16 in wheels and pivoting trimming head for $298. (Tecumseh engine)
5 HP Troybuilt 22 in for $328 and 6 HP electric start for $428. (Briggs & Stratton Quatro Engine)
5HP Garden Way by Troy Built is sold at Sams Discount for $279.(Tecumseh engine)

Cub Cadet 4HP was $599 and they didn't have the 5HP electric start. (Briggs & Stratton engine)

The Troybuilt don't swivel either the wheels or the head. Wonder if that feature is needed when trimming next to building or fence?

Most people are sold out of them, so they must be popular.

Anyone have any of these brands or comments about them????

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #15  
wen, when you say you didn't find any DR brand mowers, I assume you were looking for them in the stores, and they're direct sales only.

Try http://www.countryhomeproducts.com

They're expensive, but nice. And as far as the swivel head, I use that feature for at least 90% of my trimming, so it's sure important for me to get next to fences, buildings, and trees.

Bird

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #16  
Are these things self propelled and how are they on steep slopes? I have about 2 ac. that is very steep that I would Like to mow. I use a push mower on some of it, but other parts are too steep for the mower. It is quite a bit to do using the hand held line trimmer, and I was wondering if one of these might work.
Von

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #17  
Von, with the big wheels, they are easier to push than most walk behind lawnmowers, and of course, you're not holding their weight in your hands, or on a shoulder strap as you do with a conventional string trimmer, so they are quite a bit less tiring to use, but they are not self-propelled. You can get them with either manual or electric start. And you can mow some pretty steep slopes, but really steep ones are not their strong point.

Bird

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #18  
I have a Roof VP mower that I got from my father its 24 years old and still cuts like a champ it has a blade on the front large rear wheels and is self propelled. I'm told that the company in IL that made this mower either sold out or went out of business.
It will take down a 3" tree without even thinking about it works great for brushcutting.
Does anyone have any info on these mowers?
Thanks Gordon

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #19  
I have a rototiller that converts to a 3ft. sicle bar mower that is self-propelled, but it is a little top heavy. You take the tines off and replace them with tires and the mower slides on the front and uses a belt to drive it. I have not tried this on the slopes. I guess it might work if I can get it to climb up and down the slopes. Does it hurt the B&S motor to run on a steep angle?
Von

/ Hi Wheel Trimmer/Mowers #20  
Von, I don't believe I've seen the machine you're talking about. As to whether it hurts the B&S motor to run on a steep angle; depends on how steep for how long, and which direction it's tilted. You don't want the top of the spark plug pointed downhill at too steep an angle for very long. In other words, you'd like the oil in the crankcase to stay in the crankcase instead of running up against the bottom of the piston and possibly by the rings into the firing chamber.

Bird