Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #51  
IMHO the PT tractor is a jack of all trades and master of none. It would be nice if they had a high/low range (instead of swapping wheel motors) but they don't and yet still develop the torque to run a bucket into a bank and fill it with material. I have PTs and regular tractors and almost never use the regular ones except for a logging (winch) and snow plowing due to the cab. I have wrote before that on the PT the engine sits low and between the wheels unlike standard tractors. After using mine for years, I can almost not worry about a roll over on side hills (this might be a bad thing). Unlike me, you might be better off with the PT cutters as I mostly use skid steer implements which are much heavier and exasperate the side hill issue.
Just yesterday I thought of this post while using a rotating log grapple on a side hill and was annoyed at how far out of plumb is was hanging (due to the side hill) and how it couldn't get below the brush because the jaws were now not parallel to the ground. After I picked up a pile, the grapple swung and caused the uphill wheel on the PT to lift off the ground an inch or so. (these log grapples swing around like a cowbell. Although this happened it still felt OK, even know it was the worse scenario I could imagine with the loader at full height and a hanging load that would swing out beyond the wheel track. I think once you use a PT with front attachments you will park your Kubota.
I agree on the diesel, and wonder what they will do once they use up their supply of 45 and 60 HP Deutz engines?

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #52  
   / Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #53  
I don't think they want to deal with the new diesel emissions, and the extra room a radiator needs.
But yes, I they came out with a 25hp kubota powered trac!!

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445
I agree on the diesel, and wonder what they will do once they use up their supply of 45 and 60 HP Deutz engines?

That's is a serious question because once you get into that HP range, what gas engines could they realistically substitute? Not having 45 and 60hp diesels would seem a very serious setback, IMO, for the larger machines.

The 1430 gas engine version with a brush cutter plus delivery is already in the same price range as a TYM T474 with the Kujke 48hp diesel, and that kind of PT pricing is a serious obstacle to me buying a PT. Good grief, they are asking a premium price and yet PT has a parts only warranty that doesn't cover labor at any local dealer for factory defects? And is it true that they remove the part numbers from their components so you can't just go buy replacement parts from the OEM makers, too?

I don't think they want to deal with the new diesel emissions, and the extra room a radiator needs.
But yes, I they came out with a 25hp kubota powered trac!!
Is that some new announcement because I don't see one on their product page?

I don't the radiator as a problem because of the posts in other threads saying that the lighter gas engine in the 1430 means there is less counterbalance to loads in the FEL compared to the heavier diesel option they used to have.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #56  
That's is a serious question because once you get into that HP range, what gas engines could they realistically substitute? Not having 45 and 60hp diesels would seem a very serious setback, IMO, for the larger machines.

The 1430 gas engine version with a brush cutter plus delivery is already in the same price range as a TYM T474 with the Kujke 48hp diesel, and that kind of PT pricing is a serious obstacle to me buying a PT. Good grief, they are asking a premium price and yet PT has a parts only warranty that doesn't cover labor at any local dealer for factory defects? And is it true that they remove the part numbers from their components so you can't just go buy replacement parts from the OEM makers, too?

I think that should to decide what works for you. Nobody here is getting a commission, or brownie points from Power-Trac.

Dealers can be good, mediocre, or awful. There are a couple brands that I would not consider because the dealers are so poorly run (or worse).

This forum has some very experienced folks on it, and if you can turn a wrench yourself, it is a great resource. If you can't, I would buy a dealer supported version and a trailer, or hire someone to do the work.

We all have our own constraints, strengths, and challenges.

All the best,

Peter

I've owned a Terramite for 20 years so I have some experience with keeping a hydraulic based machine repaired.

If I paid full list price for a new PT and had any significant problems right up front, I wouldn't be too happy about having to do the repairs myself because of their parts only warranty.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #58  
The reason there’s no diesel option for the small tractors is cost. Or, I should really say price. It would make the unit several thousand dollars more expensive, which would be uncompetitive in many ways. When I bought my first 425 twenty years ago, it was $8500. Now, I see it is $16,000. Heck, I think the 1445 was $16,000 when it first came out years ago.

The wheel motors are around $700 each. However, keep in mind, you would need to modify the wheel mount weldment slightly. The larger displacement wheel motors are about ½ inch longer. While you could use a spacer to make up the difference, I elected to cut out a ½ inch thick plate and weld it to the mount. This involved cutting a large hole and a bolt circle in the plate.

My modified 425 uses a 35-horsepower motor and larger wheel motors than used on the 1430. But still, it’s no “powerhouse”. I purchased a made-in-Japan Takeuchi T8 for a little over $25,000, with 1000 hours on it. It has a 75HP Kubota engine and 2-speed motors. In terms of capability and sophistication, it’s light years ahead of the 425. And since a hydraulic brush cutter obviously runs on the ground, this option would be quite stable I think, particularly going up and down hills (as opposed to across). It would also be WAY more capable and usable for lots of other tasks. These days, many skid steer attachments can be found cheaper than the equivalent Power-Trac attachment. Something to consider.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #59  
I've owned a Terramite for 20 years so I have some experience with keeping a hydraulic based machine repaired.

If I paid full list price for a new PT and had any significant problems right up front, I wouldn't be too happy about having to do the repairs myself because of their parts only warranty.
That happened to me, actually. A hydraulic motor seal blew at about five hours. PT was great about fixing it, but knowing nothing about servicing hydraulic equipment at the time, I was convinced I was going to kill the tractor by doing something totally incompetent. No further issues for awhile until another wheel motor blew a seal, and I got my old one back. I remember that Terry commented at the time that the wheel motor seals almost never fail, and I guess getting your own motor back later tends to reinforce that idea.

FWIW, I have a few skid steer attachments, and I would just comment that I think in general skid steers have much larger lift capacities. I think that as a result, many skid steer attachments tend to be heavier than the Power-Trac version, which may be a positive or a negative.

All the best,

Peter

One question I have is whether the Ventrac front lift system would have trouble cutting this 6' tall brush since it is limited in lift height when compared to a PT like Moss Road lifting his brush cutter over some brush and then dropping it on it?