Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445
I met with a contractor who said he could cut my overgrown hillside with his Cat299d and forestry mulcher for $185/hour. He can clear out the small trees that have grown up, and once it's back to a manageable condition, then I need to find a long term solution for maintaining it.

I checked another area for slope. It was 18 degrees at the top and 25 degrees at the bottom of the hill. In my mind, that eliminates the PT425 unless I changed out the wheel motors and installed a larger engine. By then it's probably better to buy at least the 1430 instead.

One question is whether to buy a 1430 for maintaining this slope and continue to use my Kubota Mx5200 for maintaining the less hilly areas or possibly sell the MX and use the money towards the 1445. The fields are bumpy. I don't see any ground speed advantage between either the 1445 or the MX, and I'm currently using a 6' cutter anyway. If the PT 1445 doesn't have a DPF system, that would be an advantage over the MX, IMO.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #62  
Ventrac front lift system
I would stay away from Ventrac/Steiner machines and I say this by experience. Their lift system is very limited in max height and the attachments are run by a single V-belt. The ground clearance is very limited, more like a tractor designed for lawn maintenance.
I would suggest you read read read old post here. Stuff like how often do you change attachments? To help in your decision, you should know how hard it is to attach a heavy 3pt implement on your MX, compare that to the PT quick disconnect.
IMHO I think the PT 1445 would be your best choice

Here is an old post compare 3pt to front quick attach:

Having some experience under my belt, I am even more convinced now than I was when I began looking at tractors a year ago that the design of compact tractors, for us weekend diggers as opposed to real farmers, is all wrong. It is a design that has devolved, in an anti-Darwinian fashion, from a series of historical compromises and from blind mimicry of grandpa's agricultural tractor.

Here is a list of the design flaws and the obvious remedies:

1. The 3ph is an abomination. It is an historical industry compromise that, like all compromises, is a mediocrity at best. It is the interface that has launched a thousand hernias (and a googolplex cursewords). It needs to be replaced by the kind of simple, 30-second attachment interface that skidsteers have.

2. Mowers should be on the front of a tractor. This is so for both finish mowers and brush mowers. It is also so for snow blades and snowblowers. Having any of these in the middle or back of the tractor is inefficient, clumsy, and puts you in the hospital for with neck problems in addition to your hernia. The solution is having fully independent attachment interfaces on both ends of the tractor. Thus, for example, you could have the mower on the front and the FEL on the back as your "regular" set-up. This would also have the virtue of eliminating the need for clunky, useless counterweights for the rear of the tractor such as weight boxes, concrete-filled cans or trendy boxblades.

3. This naturally means you should be able to swivel the driver's seat around and drive in either direction. Thereby, your FEL or hoe would then be in front of you for proper operation, with the mower (or other useful implement) then becoming the "rear" counterweight.

4. The power connection to the attachment interfaces should be hydraulic, not mechanical. Just one-second quick-connect couplers. No more dangerous, twirling pto shafts to to catch your lovebead neckaces and choke you to death. No more clumsy, heavy implement shafts. No more lining up splines, or fiddling with collars and buttons.

5. All wheels should be the same size. Small front wheels are (for us weekend diggers) a largely useless artifact of agricultural crop row navigation. Might as well put sundials on tractors. Having equal wheel sizes would have many benefits. There would be a larger tractor footrprint and hence greater overall floatation. There would be less scuffing of lawns and imprinting in soils, and less sinking into wet soils and mud, because it is the small front tires that are the primary culprits in these matters. You could change tire sizes without worrying about differing 4wd circumference ratios between the front and rear wheels. You could fill all four tires for more traction and stability, and be driving an overall more weight-balanced vehicle. You would have better traction in 4wd, which should be significant in mud and snow applications.

6. Because mowing is a primary activity of compact users, these tractors should all articulate. This means they pivot in the middle to promote ease of turning and driving.

7. They should be significantly cheaper than they are. Why should a small compact tractor cost more than a compact car? Tractors are 1930 technology, for goodness sakes, and have relatively few parts. Something is wrong. They are way overpriced.

Having been on sabbatical from this forum for several months, I am pleased to observe that there is now an American-made product that cures most of these problems and meets most of these objectives: the Power-Trac, courageously purchased by Willington pizza. Having reviewed the Power-Trac on their website, it is obvious that there is no sane reason anymore to purchase the historically-flawed compact tractor.

Once Ventrac and Steiner are removed from consideration due to having limited deck lift capacity, that doesn't leave many tractors with 30 degree slope operation capacity in the USA other than PT to the best of my knowledge.

I tend not to change implements very often. The grapple and box blade stay on the L2501. The 6' rotary cutter stays on the MX. I might get an attachment plate to continue using my existing grapple, but would have to flush the hydraulic fluid out of it. The box blade is a necessary implement to maintain my hillside gravel driveway and is a good counterweight to the grapple on the L2501.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #64  
I get what your saying, I have been there. To me, don't take offense, but you are not using your tractors to their full capabilities.
I made a PT to skid steer quick attach and now I can buy implements off Fbook or roadside. IMHO if you do do-diligence on the price you pay for used attachments, you should be able to resell at just about the same price or with inflation, more. So it is good to have whatever you need. You didn't mention forklift forks. How do you get buy without them? Snow bucket for firewood, leaves, debris-makes it like a utility carrier. Then the more odd stuff like rock bucket, 4in1 bucket, tooth bucket, rotating log grapple, lift boom, 3pt adapter, etc. All money in the bank. And with the PT, a <1 min change (if no hyds).
It helps when you can see the bucket edge or fork tips from the seat like on the PT, you tend to want to use the stuff more. I hated having to stand up to watch the forks enter the pallet then sit down quick and hit the clutch before the tractor starts pushing the pallet along the ground.

Except for mowing the hillsides, I suppose my needs are simple.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #66  
I did a video about 20 years ago. I timed how long it took me to drop the forks and pick up a bucket.

Less than 15 seconds, and I never got off the seat!

I did another video of changing a powered implement. It added about 15 seconds to the task to get off the seat and connect 2 hoses.

I used to dread changing 3 point implements on my old IH2500b. I'd plan tasks around what implement was mounted on the tractor at the time, to avoid having to change them.

With the PT quick attach, I've changed implements 20+ times in an afternoon. I actually get a little smile each time I do it.

You were ahead of your time as an early PT youtube influencer.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #69  
As to the wheel motor seal, I remember reading a White motor is supposed to run at no more than 50% capacity for the first few hours. I don't remember how many hours...seems like 5 hours. That would be pretty low though. At one point, Kubota recommended limited use for the first 50 hours. I bet 90 percent of users don't follow the factory recommendation. For a home owner using a mower or tractor two or three hours on the weekend, that's a long time to resist giving it the beans.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #70  
Regarding other alternatives, take a look at Avant Tecno. They're WAY more expensive than a PT but do have diesel engines in their smaller versions. And, I'd bet they are more sophisticated than a PT wrt design, hydraulic filtration, lift capacity, etc... They can be found used on equipment trader. I've been tempted to consider one for some time since I REALLY like full time four wheel drive articulated machines with the attachment out front. However, the 425 is so fantastic that I've never bothered. And, since I bought my latest ones used, they came with a LOT of attachment. Some, I've never used and don't think they were ever used...like a snow blower, sweeper, salt spreader and some others. I really need to trade or sell these items as I'll never use them. I have so many that I've run out of space to store them and a couple sit outside (e.g., the snow blower).