Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445
The wheel motors are around $700 each. However, keep in mind, you would need to modify the wheel mount weldment slightly. The larger displacement wheel motors are about ½ inch longer. While you could use a spacer to make up the difference, I elected to cut out a ½ inch thick plate and weld it to the mount. This involved cutting a large hole and a bolt circle in the plate.

My modified 425 uses a 35-horsepower motor and larger wheel motors than used on the 1430. But still, it’s no “powerhouse”.
I searched to see if you had posted any more information on these upgrades, but didn't find any. I'm still curious what engine you used and if you actually see any improvement in the power available to run a brush cutter while also going uphill? Or does the increase in HP not matter so much if the pumps are still the same?

I'm guessing the 1430 and 1445 will be more stable due to the increased width and weight?

Further discussion with PT, they recommended the wider tires for the PT 1445 for slopes around 30 degrees, but they are turf tires. I asked if the turf tires did better on slopes, and they are saying the wider turf tires are recommended on slopes. Any comments on that?

The 1445 diesel doesn't have the DPF mess on it, either.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #73  
I find turf tires to be better for pretty much everything except mud and deep snow.

Evidently the standard tire is a 6 ply loader tire 10:00x16.5 that results in an overall tractor width of 56" but the turf tires are 4 ply 31-15.50x15 resulting in a width of 64" on the PT1445. I'm a bit concerned about poking a hole in the turfs and don't want to spend another $1,000 if not necessary. Even though I currently hope to have these slopes cut with a forestry mulcher, I anticipate that there will be some sapling stems remaining to poke a hole in my tires.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #76  
Evidently the standard tire is a 6 ply loader tire 10:00x16.5 that results in an overall tractor width of 56" but the turf tires are 4 ply 31-15.50x15 resulting in a width of 64" on the PT1445. I'm a bit concerned about poking a hole in the turfs and don't want to spend another $1,000 if not necessary. Even though I currently hope to have these slopes cut with a forestry mulcher, I anticipate that there will be some sapling stems remaining to poke a hole in my tires.
Wider stance and the flexibility of the 4ply tire will improve, ride, tip over risk, and only compromise traction at the extremes.

Chain, or non metal versions can replace the traction.

I've had great luck with gemplers ultraseal for ballast and puncture prevention.

I run a 425 convertered to Kubota 25hp diesel. Unstallable. Better rear end weight, quieter, better fuel consumption.

My pt 1850 slope mower is hard to beat on slopes but the 425 always surprises with its nimble traction and productivity. I matched/converted a 66inch heavy duty flail cutter from tractor pto to hydraulic on the 1850.

Wider stance and the flexibility of the 4ply tire will improve, ride, tip over risk, and only compromise traction at the extremes.

Chain, or non metal versions can replace the traction.

I've had great luck with gemplers ultraseal for ballast and puncture prevention.

I run a 425 convertered to Kubota 25hp diesel. Unstallable. Better rear end weight, quieter, better fuel consumption.

My pt 1850 slope mower is hard to beat on slopes but the 425 always surprises with its nimble traction and productivity. I matched/converted a 66inch heavy duty flail cutter from tractor pto to hydraulic on the 1850.
Did you also change the wheel motors or does the diesel produce enough torque that you don't see a need?

IMO, putting a 25hp emissions exempt diesel in the 425 would really make it operate at a level comparable to all the diesel CUTs, but then it would stand out from them because of the front mount implements, the hydraulic powered cutters, the turning radius, and increased stability not to mention being user serviceable.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #78  
Factory wheel motors. It's the larger series pt started using.

Literally runs circles around our cuts.... For utility jobs.

Will get some more pics while apart for end of season service.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #79  
There in Virginia is a pt 1460 listed on facebook marketplace. in Virginia