Hobby olive oil production

/ Hobby olive oil production #31  
Sorry for the delay – and it is a long response.

First, Forgeblast, most of the olive varieties in Portugal have an oil content of between 18 and 25 %, with a few lower or higher, but not all of the oil is available under normal crushing conditions. I would assume that other countries’ varieties are similar, otherwise we would all be using the same variety by now. The more it is pressed, and heated after the Extra Virgin and Virgin are taken off the worse the quality of the oil, and the lower grades are not normally used for human consumption. They go into industrial use. The grade immediately next to Virgin is the one my wife uses to make soap – slightly higher acid content than Virgin and known as Lampante, although we have cooked with it and found it satisfactory. My intention is to make biodiesel from the olives that fail to make table quality. I have planted a total of 440 in the last five years and production will increase dramatically in the next couple of years. A general rule of thumb is that you would get about one litre (fairly close to a US quart) of food quality oil from the mill for every 7 or 8 kilos (15 to 18 pounds) of olives you took in. The mill operator will have kept back a percentage, about 15 to 20, so if you were making your own, and assuming you were not as proficient as the professionals, you might get similar results of a pint to 7 or 9 pounds of olives. That is a bit vague, but a fairly reliable expectation. With a good set-up you might do even better.

Psient, Yours is a more complicated question and one that I have not needed to consider before. I have heard of a small mill that was set up in a remote village by a man shortly before he died and it has never been used. I heard he also had a threshing mill for grain. He had intended to do all the locals’ olives and grain. I am trying to make arrangements to see it, but am going through a chain of three people so do not hold your breath.

I think we might have a language problem in describing the action of milling equipment, but are you familiar with grain crushers? These are two cylindrical steel rollers, often grooved or chequered, and almost touching, grain is hoppered into the top and the rollers crush the grain into “flakes”. The gap between them can be adjusted so that the kernels are just slightly squashed, or, put very close together the kernels will be broken into pieces. How small depends on the moisture content of the grain. I have a grape crusher that performs a similar task, but the rollers are held further apart so that the individual grapes are broken without crushing the pips. I also use it as a corn sheller because I cannot find anything better. In this case I run it in reverse (hand cranked) and the corn falls through the gap whilst I have to pick out the cobs. With olives you want to squash the pips, and they are hard. I am using the word pip rather than stone so as not to confuse them with the stone rollers.

The problem I foresee with that set-up is that you would only squash everything and not grind it down to a paste. I have not seen inside a steel roller mill as used by the commercial olive mills, but the old stone version runs two stones in a circular trough. It is possible to have anywhere between one and four in the trough if they are set up properly. There are quite a few good photographs on various webs sites. I have been doing some Googling to try to find a really good site, but most are not and some are downright misleading. I found one that suggested the stone rollers remove the pulp but do not crush the pips!! Some also imply that the pips are removed before crushing begins. A small mill I know put through 4m kilos (say 9m pounds) two years ago. Can you imagine pitting that many olives? No doubt there are machines that are capable of taking the pulp off, but that is not normal – at least in the Old World. Most websites are, of course, aimed at selling something and claiming that the way they do things, or the equipment they sell is the best. A lot of them use information from other sites that have no idea where the source of the original information came from. You can read exactly the same word for word on several sites. Nothing new in that either, the web, and indeed books are full of mis-information.

Come the end of modern civilisation as we know it (whenever that might be) and I have to construct an olive mill, I will make a circular trough and crush the olives. Stone rollers would be extremely expensive and finding someone to make and maintain them for you is probably a non-starter. Steel seems the only way. Hubs from trucks with a flat metal band around? They need to be heavy and kept firmly on the bottom of the trough, so some ingenuity in adding weight is needed. Roll them around with whatever power source is available. Run off the paste, press it. The mill I know best uses hydraulic power (it actually uses water as the fluid) and straw mats. On a small scale I am sure that either a vehicle jack type arrangement or a cider press would give reasonable results. Keep the pomace for stock feed or fuel – there will still be oil in it. Put the liquid into a container and skim off the oil similar to skimming cream from milk – a cream skimmer will probably do the job just as well as anything. If you could arrange it, a really old fashioned idea was to have a series of vats, maybe four, so that the oil floated on top of the water in the first one and spilled into the next and so on.

I have copied some extracts from my book that relate to olive growing, which hopefully those of you interested in growing olives will find useful:-

Soil analyses showed a low pH, adequate to high levels of Potassium, and most of the property having adequate to high Phosphate, with a couple of areas being quite low. The biggest problem I had with that soil was lack of organic material. I gathered that none had been applied for a long time, and with irrigation, much of the property had had adequate quantities of water and warmth – an ideal situation for rapid breakdown of OM.

If you too buy a property with olive trees then this situation is likely. It is common practice in some areas to keep the land clear of growth amongst the trees by cultivating several times a year. Your predecessor might have applied mulches of manure around the trees, but not on the remainder of the land, so expect a very low level of OM in the soil, and be prepared to feed it if you wish to crop any of the open areas. Good husbandry in the locality is said to be that every third year the trees should be mulched with farmyard manure (abbreviated to FYM in the rest of the book, or referred to as muck) if following the system of bare ground, and heavily pruned every third year too. If the land between the trees is cropped then the whole area should be mucked every year. Producing that much FYM is at best extremely difficult and impossible on most properties.
…………………………….

The main disease problem for olives is known as Gafa in Portugal and sometimes, I think incorrectly, referred to as Anthracnose in English speaking parts of the world, the responsible organism being Colletotricum gloesosporioides and apparently also being know by some other equally long name which I cannot pronounce either. The only treatment is to use copper based sprays, similar to Bordeaux Mixture which is used against potato and tomato blight in other parts, but a sunny break in the weather is needed after the autumn rains start. Another problem is the fact that most of the older trees across the whole country are of cultivars that are extremely susceptible to the disease and spraying these is not 100% effective.

The wet weather also encourages the olive fly and prevents adequate control of this pest. In turn its damage to the fruit increases the Gafa problem by giving the disease access to the internal part of the fruit through the fly’s egg depositing entry in the olive. The problem with doing nothing is that the olives are a basic income source. I never liked spraying food crops, even if it means losing a wee bit of cash and I have only done it in the past as a last resort. Subsequent October and November weather each year has been very similar to our first year and an almost total lack of table quality fruit in the following two years had me rethinking my strategy. If I do not spray I lose the crop, and there arose the added problem that a severe infestation of the susceptible trees made the level of risk of infecting the new grove too high to be acceptable.
……………………….
As an example of misinformation you will find books giving production of olives as tens of kilograms per tree, I have seen as much as 70kgs mentioned, yet the European average is a little over 3000kgs per hectare. Tree spacing varies but at say, 250 trees per hectare this gives about 12 or 13kgs per tree. Individual tree output is extremely variable, in mature trees increasing yearly from a low figure in the year after heavy pruning until it is pruned again, which is often three but sometimes four year intervals. There is no doubt that production can be considerably more than this European average, and indeed is if the trees are properly managed, but it would be dangerous to budget for an average of more until you were sure you could harvest more on a regular basis year after year. The same applies to all crops. I know an ageing Portuguese farmer with several hundred olive trees and whom I expect has done his best over the years. His wife had great pleasure in telling me that they had averaged over 10kgs per tree for the first time.
……………………………..

If anybody thinks I can help further please do not hesitate to ask. I do not profess to be an expert but am commencing my 9th harvest so have a little practical experience to back up the theoretical knowledge.

/ Hobby olive oil production
Mac:

I appreciate your comments but hope to remain on topic through a continuing focus on the initial reason for my starting this thread!

I know what a roller mill is and I agree those are not applicable.

Ok let's ensure that you and I are on the same page. Your involvement with your property is fascinating. I hope that I can enlarge the central referent indicative of the intent for posting. My scope was to design, machine, then assemble a small mill and extraction plant. Small meaning 'boutique', less than 1000 kg per year of fruit production.

The reason I considered this is I have acreage in Southern California and for 20 some odd years I have been operating a ranch where my wife and I have trained horses. As trainers we keep and manage the horses for the show pen. Being competitive we always have animals and for decades have been tilling the composted manure into our soil. The native soil where I live is startlingly basic ph. Somewhere above 9. I use soil sulphur to bring the ph range back to 7 or so when I garden and this works dramatically well. I have no olive trees except one volunteer that came up from seed 10 years ago. We have ignored this tree but have marveled at it's ability to produce lots of olives while surviving our hottest and driest years (temps well above 110 with drought conditions for 2 of the last 10 years).

I decided to venture into olive grove planting for the initial pleasure of having the grove to enjoy its ascetic appeal. I then decided, as I have the machining skill, to look into utilizing the fruit. One impetus for this derives from a client making their own table olives . . . quite good actually. I figured if they could do something with the fruit so could I.

TMALSS, I have now graded and leveled a well drained plot about a 1/2 acre in size. Yesterday I applied amendments adding nitrogen and adjusting the ph to slightly above 7. I added OM to that area about 9 months ago and, as our weather will soon turn wet, will plant a green manure crop in the next month or so. I have 20 unplanted, potted, olive trees (about 3 feet tall) as mentioned. When I place them they will have drip irrigation. I WILL maximize the growth, quality, and output of these trees for the varieties I have selected. I will also plant another 20 next fall.

Back to the machinery:

I recently found a small electric mill that consisted of a stainless steel wheel configured as a wheel mill/grinding wheel mill. Its utility was for grinding hard plastic into powder but appeared incredibly suitable for olive milling. It was located in Italy so impractical to purchase but its design was elegant and simple.

I could (relatively) easily fabricate a similar machine using an 18-24 inch round of 304 stainless about 10 inches thick for the grinding stone. The hardest part of the design would be manipulating the round as it would weigh over 300 pounds. The enclosure and drive mechanism is not a real challenge although I would have to research the bearing design.

BUT

I also recently found a purveyor of small production machines that contain the entire manufacturing components for olive oil. The total cost is less than $10k US. Let me be clear about this, you place washed olives in one end and get decanted olive oil out the other. I also found a slightly larger model available from Italy for $15K shipped for another $.2K. These are both viable solutions with capacities of 20 and 50 kg per hour respectively. I could avoid the complexity and rigorous experimentation of prototyping by simply buying either one of the two machines. I am seriously considering this. I have also found several chinese manufacturers of machines that may work (NOT the common oil seed screw mills).

Given that I have several years to plan the actual milling installation and that I have the situation and means to produce excellent trees with vigor and yield, I look forward to producing a blend from the varieties I have selected that will be truly fine quality. Only time will tell if I am successful but this is the point. Using that time well!

I therefore am rightfully appreciative of all the folks that contribute here. The final product will be testimony of the input I have received from all who freely give support in this interim between idea and actual production.

I hope this gives reason to continue this discussion. I appreciate the expertise and advice!

Jon

Last edited:
   / Hobby olive oil production #33  
Ty for the info, that was great.
I have a homebrewing grain mill similar to what you described with steel and textured and adjustable gap.
When you talked about the wheel for grinding, could you cast a cement ring around the
hub/wheel assemble making a stone wheel with steel parts?
Thanks again for some great info.

/ Hobby olive oil production #34  
Another quick response, and I will give this a lot more thought during the day. Psient, I understand much better why you would have been considering a complete set-up. I was anticipating you only having 40 trees, but I think you will plant more in the future and find it most economical to have a more professional set of equipment to produce your own oil.

I plant at 6 x 6 metres. This is fairly standard in Portugal except for the newer high density "hedgerow" type groves with mechanical pruning and harvesting. The trees are the prime use of the land and treated as such, but, and it is a very big but, the land between the trees is used for annual cropping - usually two crops a year here. The land then has a very high overall productivity.

forgeblast, I regret I do not have the technical knowledge to know whether this is feasible. Can you make concrete to match the hardness of granite?

Ty for the info, that was great.
I have a homebrewing grain mill similar to what you described with steel and textured and adjustable gap.
When you talked about the wheel for grinding, could you cast a cement ring around the
hub/wheel assemble making a stone wheel with steel parts?
Thanks again for some great info.

Yes. However, you would probably need to research the properties of the cement. The main thing would be the admixture/aggregate. You would also have to source the materials once you found the correct mix/formula. The form itself is not an issue as SONOTUBE is available in diameters sufficient to make a grinding wheel. ONce again you would have to consult with a redimix plant to find out what the necessary formula would be. I'm pretty sure this is a doable thing for grain.

For olives you need to avoid absorption by the grinding material. Therefore, a solid wheel of stainless steel is desirable. 304 stainless which is food-grade in the U.S. is available in 24" diameters but the minimum order would be 12' and the weight would be very heavy for the order. Then there's the issue of having it cut to size. A regular saw is not going to do it, nor is a shear. Therefore it's gonna take specialty machinery and the bar would need to be shipped. It might be possible to find tubing and cast concrete inside the tubing although you'd then have to house it and engineer an internal matrix of the tubing to avoid the fracturing of the concrete.

It's a challenge but that's the point of starting the thread, to get opinions from folks like you and MAC.

Mac's point about the roller mill is well taken. Modern plants use a hammer mill for olive oil production that provides the correct consistency for the malaxer. Then a horizontal centrifuge is used to separate the oil from the water and solids. Some mills have a secondary centrifuge to further refine the oil, some decant and separate as a stage in the process.

Using a wheel is probably the best way to produce gourmet taste but I 'm not sure if this is necessarily true as some of the modern equipment is pretty sophisticated and wouldn't raise the temp of the pulp above 80 degrees F (at least that's what is advertised). IN addition, some equipment will allow you to introduce N as a means of preventing oxidation during malaxation and decanting.

I'm not convinced that this would produce oil with flavor so superior that a normal consumer would take note, however a gourmet probably would.

I don't know, what do you think Mac?

Jon

/ Hobby olive oil production #36  
I have just planted a small 30 tree Olive orchard in Jan 2011, and have just done two batches of oil using all locally procured equipment and adapted to Olive oil use. I did this in conjunction with a friend of mine who has had several years experience with his small hobby orchard. The set up costs about $500 compared to $3000 for commercial produced hobby milling set up. So far the system will process about 10 pounds of olives per hour. If you are interested in this let me know and I will gladly share the process. I am new to this site so not sure how much detail can be put out here?

I have just planted a small 30 tree Olive orchard in Jan 2011, and have just done two batches of oil using all locally procured equipment and adapted to Olive oil use. I did this in conjunction with a friend of mine who has had several years experience with his small hobby orchard. The set up costs about $500 compared to $3000 for commercial produced hobby milling set up. So far the system will process about 10 pounds of olives per hour. If you are interested in this let me know and I will gladly share the process. I am new to this site so not sure how much detail can be put out here?
Hi:

That's exciting! How cool is it to find someone else who is producing their own oil!!

You can Private MEssage me and I'll respond.

Jon

Extraction Process | The Olive Oil Source
Growing Olives for Olive Oil or to Eat - Hobby Farms

as far as using the concrete, will the olive acids etch the concrete? I was just thinking out loud of a concrete wheel that looked like a grinding wheel that would go around and squash/press the olives.
the two sites above list more info.

Acid might cause deterioration on the wrong mix. The correct formula will minimize this problem. The real problem as I imagine it would be lime leaching into the oil.

Encasing the concrete in something might work.

Jon

/ Hobby olive oil production #40  
Psient, Since you have some time to spare before needing the equipment you have a great advantage of not needing to rush into things. You also have the benefit of being able to look at costs of different set-ups and calculate how long it would be to get your money back. The cheapest option might not be the best if a more expensive set-up would give you a return of outlay in, say, an extra three years. The easiest way to calculate would be to set yourself a reasonable rate for a litre/pint of oil and do the calculations. I know you are not looking at it commercially, but take perhaps 10 years and estimate how much oil you might produce in that time and see what the cost per litre would be to return your capital. Take it out to 12 or 15 years, or more, and recalculate. That way you will get a better “feel” for how much you can warrant spending. You can compare costs of making some of the equipment yourself, or buying a complete set-up such as you have already seen listed.

Your idea of steel rollers sounds as if it could be your best way forward. My hesitation about hammermilling, although it is done in some places, and ignoring the fineness of the product, is the heat generated. I used to hammermill a lot of grain and other materials for making my own cattle rations, in an attached mixer wagon, and the result was always well above hand heat when first mixed. I was not aiming for a fine mix either. No doubt a hammermill would be a lot easier for you to make, or cheaper to buy perhaps, and if you could see one in operation before you make a commitment you might be able to get a guide on screen sizes and temperatures.

One point I note is that (at least up until last year) the US, Australia and South Africa, where I believe hammermills are much more common, are not members of the International Olive Council. Whether the methods of crushing there have any bearing on membership I do not know, but the likes of Montenegro, North African countries and Argentina are members so it is not as if membership is restricted to Europe. Perhaps a check on comparative standards in USA and the IOC might be worthwhile. Of course there may not be any difference, but if there is I would be inclined to work towards the IOC standards in case the US joins in the future.

For your guidance the old granite wheels about this place are one metre (39 inches) in diameter and 15 cms (6 inches) thick. That is somewhat less than a quarter of a cubic metre and with granite averaging about 2.7gms/cm3 I calculate they would be about 600kgs. Check my maths I am prone to make mistakes !!! I saw a website in Australia at one time that reckoned their stone wheels weighed one ton, but I have my doubts they are that heavy.

The drive shaft was let through the stone rather than have a bearing attached, although a bearing would be easier with steel I think. The hole is perhaps best described as a circle with bars protruding on two opposite sides of the circle. I have also seen stones of smaller diameter and thicker, but I do not have measurements. I will keep an eye out for anything I come across and pass on the info.

If you have not already seen them check out Pieralisi and Campagnola (not Campagnolo they make bicycle parts) equipment.

I tend to agree with you about flavour, provided the paste or oil is not heated too much, mainly because we use oil for cooking. We do not eat salads so do not pour it on raw leaves where the flavour might be more noticeable. On the other hand having lived in the far north of Scotland for a few years I learned to tell the different flavours of various malt whisky brands. Taste wise generally, I prefer the Portuguese varieties. Before moving here I did not like olive oil and it did concern me, but in the UK we only had Italian, Greek and Spanish. Now I like the oil. I think most of the world will disagree with me and prefer oil from another country - the same with the wines.