Hobby olive oil production

/ Hobby olive oil production #41  
I have just planted a small 30 tree Olive orchard in Jan 2011, and have just done two batches of oil using all locally procured equipment and adapted to Olive oil use. I did this in conjunction with a friend of mine who has had several years experience with his small hobby orchard. The set up costs about $500 compared to $3000 for commercial produced hobby milling set up. So far the system will process about 10 pounds of olives per hour. If you are interested in this let me know and I will gladly share the process. I am new to this site so not sure how much detail can be put out here?

You can put about as much info here as you like, including photos and links. If you have the time to do so I'm sure others would be very interested, I know I would. Thanks in advance for any details you can provide!

Last edited:
   / Hobby olive oil production
Psient, Since you have some time to spare before needing the equipment you have a great advantage of not needing to rush into things. . . . . . You can compare costs of making some of the equipment yourself, or buying a complete set-up such as you have already seen listed.
Thanks for the insight Mac. I'll use Excel. I was thinking of making a trip to Italy and buying one there, then shipping it back. That may still be a viable option as the cost of the machine can make the offset for the travel and shipping.

Your idea of steel rollers sounds as if it could be your best way forward. My hesitation about hammermilling, although it is done in some places, and ignoring the fineness of the product,

I have found some suppliers of the appropriate stainless steel rounds. I can probably find a remnant and purchase that although I suspect the cost will a very significant contribution to the overall expense of the design. If you PM me I'll send you info on my thoughts outside of the general conversation here.

is the heat generated.

Ever made beer? There are aspects of cooling that could be adapted I think with very little problem. Are you familiar with what we, here in the U.S., refer to as a 'garbage disposer'? It is essentially a hammermill/pulveriser. There are commercial designs that could be easily adapted I think. I have not made much of a study on this but at least the internals could be cannibalized and added to the design. This would eliminate the need to build the hammers and the motorized components. This might be a big boon indeed. The largest problem with this is to develop a means of controlling the particle size, although that is doable.

No doubt a hammermill would be a lot easier for you to make, or cheaper to buy perhaps, and if you could see one in operation before you make a commitment you might be able to get a guide on screen sizes and temperatures.

As I indicated above you are accurate in this assertion. Good point!

One point I note is that (at least up until last year) the US, Australia and South Africa, where I believe hammermills are much more common, are not members of the International Olive Council.

Yeah well that's the way the postmodernist business jerkoffs here act out there weird psychodramas about emotivist will to power. The intent to exploit the individual governs everything so it's not surprising that getting a set of standards would have to preclude the IOC. I've made a modest study of their (the IOC's) intent and it appears to center around the dignity of the producer and the avoidance of fraud.

California has its own standards and I'll probably have to look at certification through them. Adherence to IOC is not ignorance though and the IOC website has a wealth of information. So does California's.

For your guidance the old granite wheels about this place are one metre (39 inches) in diameter and 15 cms (6 inches) thick. That is somewhat less than a quarter of a cubic metre and with granite averaging about 2.7gms/cm3 I calculate they would be about 600kgs. Check my maths I am prone to make mistakes !!! I saw a website in Australia at one time that reckoned their stone wheels weighed one ton, but I have my doubts they are that heavy.

The design I have in mind would be significantly less weight. It's my thinking that the RPMs could be higher for the same quantity of fruit as the structural design could manage the forces. The in-out flow times would be faster even though there's the reduction in the surface area/weight ratio of the wheel over traditional stone wheels.

I will keep an eye out for anything I come across and pass on the info.

I am looking forward to your discoveries!

If you have not already seen them check out Pieralisi and Campagnola (not Campagnolo they make bicycle parts) equipment.

I'll do so thanks again.

Taste wise generally, I prefer the Portuguese varieties.

Do me a favor and PM me over this please. It's a little OT and I'd like to talk to you about these oils ok?

Let me know what's going on Mac.

Thanks for all the support,

Jon

/ Hobby olive oil production #45  
psient, I have just this minute sent you an email via TBN. PM if you do not get it.

Forgeblast's photo shows a granite wheel. The colour is not unusual and is enhanced by the colour of the olives it has crushed over more than a few years. Anything softer would diintegrate, that is why other stones such as sandstone are not used.

/ Hobby olive oil production #46  
Thanks OMD, I have been wondeing what/how that was done.
Interesting now knowing its one big piece.

It was nice to see how the paste was spread and then pressed.
Looked a bit like a cider press in that aspect.
Its a very interesting process.

Thanks OMD, I have been wondeing what/how that was done.
Interesting now knowing its one big piece.

It was nice to see how the paste was spread and then pressed.
Looked a bit like a cider press in that aspect.
Its a very interesting process.

I wonder if you couldn't create a small vitrified wheel that would be impervious to degenerating and etching?

Jon

That's really an interesting pic. I'm familiar with the web site as wood fired ovens are an interest of mine. It seems that the whole unit would have to be fired in a kiln though.

Jon
No problema, got it.

Jon

/ Hobby olive oil production #49  
Off topic but I just need one more section of chimney to finish my wood fired oven, I made a barrel vault instead of the pompii oven shown at FB(fornobravo).

/ Hobby olive oil production #50  
psient, #47, The wheel also has to be able to crush the pips. Bigger diameter means less revolutions for the same distance travelled. How about fabricating a hollow wheel and then filling it with ballast (no leaks allowed!!) for the necessary weight. Another thought - same wheels, say two with a central vertical shaft around which the wheels revolve as in several existing designs, and add weights to the shaft that transfers to the wheels drive shaft in order to give the crushing power of the lighter wheels. Weight of the wheels, or a downward force is important because it is this alone which crushes the pips to a paste.

People with the requisite engineering skills to design the ideas, or explain why they will not work, need to join in this thread.