Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!!

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #61  
I've heard of a man and his wife riding a GoldWing at ~ 60 mph when he suddenly disappeared, and she is still tooling down the road with the cruise control on and now, no driver! I understand that she knew how to get it stopped, and he wasn't even hurt bad. A deer jumped just as they went by, and took him right off the bike without even touching her.

Deer are one of the reasons I sold my GoldWing 2 years ago, too many around here, and too unpredictable. I hit a coon once on the bike, at only about 20 mph, and sent it spinning, but didn't kill it. Fortunately, I didn't run over it, but hit it with the engine guard and fog light. Not too much damage, but bent the light, but the guard took most of the blow.

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #62  
Gary Fowler said:
I have to tell this story. One of my coworkers swears this is what happened. He was driving down the street in the city when a dog ran into the side of his car while running away from some other dogs. It knocked the front fender into the drivers door. IT looks like the dogs head must have hit the back of the fender wall because it left a small dent and now the door binds when trying to open. I couldnt believe a dog running into the side of the car would move the whole fender.

A neighbors dog ran into the side of a passing car while chasing a squirrel and did about $1300 damage, hit right between the front and rear doors denting both. It broke the dogs neck killing it unfortunately. All this happened right in front of the whole family:(

Then the neighbor got incensed when he was later presented with the bill to fix the car. He didn't think he should have to pay.
I agreed with the car owner, it sure wasn't his fault the dog was running loose in violation of our county leash law.
So keep that in mind if you let your animals run loose, it could cost you.
BTW the neighbors insurance did eventually pay to fix the car....

Another one- when I was teaching my older son to drive we were out practicing, as we came around a curve two squirrels were in the road, he asked me what to do, I said keep driving they'll run off...well both squirrels did the typical deal where they ran left then right then left, etc. He got 'em both....oops:confused: I was alittle afraid it would upset him, naaah..not a bit;)

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!!
*Side Note*

My darn toe still hurts from the day of the original post in this thread from where the stupid deer stomped on my foot! I lost the nail on my big toe and then managed to get it infected due to the missing nail. :(

It figures, I own about 8 pair of steel or composite toe boots that I always wear when working in my barns because of all the heavy equipment there. They have saved my toes many times. I just never thought I needed to wear them while mowing grass!

I thought I'd mention this since I'm still limping around because of the big toe on my left foot. I may actually end up going to the doctor tomorrow. Heck, for all I know, besides being infected now I may actually have had my toe broken. This is not going to be an easy story to tell the doctor!

:D I told my wife I was going to post a picture of my toe to go along with this thread but she told me that she'd ban me for doing so even if I didn't get banned by the administrators here. :eek:

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #64  
Spare us the toe cheese. Reading about it is bad e'nuf.....

I hope you heal well and fast. That could take a while.

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #65  
Another "this one time" story:

My dad was driving into his neighborhood, minding his own business. There are fields on both sides of the street. It is a rural community, but most people call it a subdivision (only the 'lots' are 5 acres or more). Anyway, all of a sudden a deer jumped into the middle of the road right in front of him and just stood there. My dad was going about 25 when he hit the deer. It busted the grill, rolled onto the hood wrinkling it, up onto and over the windshield busting it, rolled onto the roof, kicked out both front driver and passenger window glass, roll off onto the trunk, busted the back glass, wrinkled the trunk lid, and kicked two holes in the back of the trunk lid when it finally rolled off the car. It was a Honda Accord. Damage came in around $4700! When my dad got the car stopped he looked back and the deer was still standing in the road, snorted at him, and jumped off into the field. This wsa the middle of summer, deer season was at least two months away. We ate venison that night!!
He had a hard time explaining it to the insurance adjuster. No one would believe it. If it had not been for the hair still all over the car he wouldn't have stood a chance!

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #66  
cdover73 said:
Another "this one time" story:

....the deer was still standing in the road, snorted at him, and jumped off into the field. This wsa the middle of summer, deer season was at least two months away. We ate venison that night!!

I take it was not the same deer you ate that smashed into the car?

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #67  
No, there were two more standing in his garden eating his peas when he pulled into the driveway. I guess he had enough for one night! He didn't even take time to brush the broken glass off before going inside to get his gun!

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #68  
Dang!

soundguy

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #69  
Soundguy said:
Always amazes me why an animal will run TOWARD the thread.. and not away.

I've had snakes do that to me in an animal pen ( chicken ).. they will charge you and force you to kill them or hurt yourself staying away from them.. etc.

squirrels like to see if they can 'beat the tire' too..

soundguy

My brothers first car was a kind of poor man's sports car which now has become a European icon: an Opel Manta.
However these are known to be often abused by young lads. So he used 3 different engines in 4 months, before he sold it in pieces, before driving over it with the tractor, to set the score even ;)

A neighbor crashed his car in traffic, of which we could buy the engine. The garagist where this neighbor traded the wreck, for another running car, had a dog, a German Shepherd.
When we were there to pick the wreck up to take out the engine in our own workshop, the garagist pulled the car wreck out of his yard with a Ferguson TEF. Everytime the tractor began to drive, the dog went wild and tried to bite the lugs of the tire, letting go right before its nose would be overridden, when he lifted its head to grab the next tire lug.
The garagist enjoyed this and drove as fast as he could.

You could guess what happens, the dog couldnt pull his head away quick enough and got its nose under the tire.... The garagist said that this wasnt the first time, but the dog didnt learn from it at all and kept being obsessed with the tire ;)

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #70  
Sometimes I wonder if deer aren't part of the rodent family. Big cute stupid rats. All you gotta do to hunt deer at my place is to walk outside with a hammer.