Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!!

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!!
Sometimes I wonder if deer aren't part of the rodent family. Big cute stupid rats. All you gotta do to hunt deer at my place is to walk outside with a hammer.

LOL! Yeah, I don't see them as particularly bright. But, maybe I just have some 'animal magnetism' of sorts. A couple of weeks ago I was riding on a remote area of our property in our RTV1100 and was driving through some tall grass and brush that was considerably taller than the roof. I was just creeping along since I couldn't see anything past the hood of the RTV. We pushed through into a clearing and came upon about 5 or 6 absolutely HUGE wild turkeys. There is no way they didn't hear me coming. Anyway, they scattered off to one side into tall brush...except for one particularly dumb one. It took off zig zagging in a dead run and ran right smack into the front of the RTV! :eek: What a dumb bird! It made a considerable "clunk" when it hit but got right back up and finally ran off into the brush.

I didn't have time to get the camera out (but was trying) to get a picture but my kids sure got to cackling about how stupid it was. I thought my eight year old son was going to throw up he was laughing so hard! He is still telling everybody about the stupid turkeys we have. How big do those things get anyway? Sitting in the RTV it's head was higher than the hood because we saw it's face as it ran into us. Man are those things ugly up close! It had one heck of a 'beard' that was white and red for the most part. It looked like it would weigh over 30 pounds!

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #72  
So far Dargo the turkeys at my place seem to be a little smarter than my Deer-rats. Used to camp at the place before we got a trailer--I was out starting the fire one morning and my wife told me to stop the stupid gobbling. Told her I wasn't gobbling. Finally figured out a big old Tom was circling our camp checking us out. He stalked her all morning. Started to go somewhere with that one with her, but decided to keep my mouth shut.

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #73  
Sometimes I wonder if deer aren't part of the rodent family. Big cute stupid rats. All you gotta do to hunt deer at my place is to walk outside with a hammer.

Probably because people keep feeding them...

The high school i went, was next to a neighbourhood of single stage senior houses. The old people often fed the ducks in the waterways. When kids from my school tossed firecrackers into the water, the stupid ducks tried to eat them as well, and had their beaks ripped off :(

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #74  
Probably because people keep feeding them...

The high school i went, was next to a neighbourhood of single stage senior houses. The old people often fed the ducks in the waterways. When kids from my school tossed firecrackers into the water, the stupid ducks tried to eat them as well, and had their beaks ripped off :(

Renze you dont have to feed deer to have them hang out. I have them in my front yard all of the time eating the grass. Nothing bothers them there and I guess the grass is nice and tasty. My pond is only a few feet away for them to drink from and they have a nice field of view with lots of room to run in case of danger. I dont feed them.

I do however had about a dozen pear trees that were in the field next to the yard when I bought my house. We dont eat the pears and in the fall when they fall off the trees it looks like I have a deer farm there are so many of them out eating the pears.