home build 40 Ton hydr press

/ home build 40 Ton hydr press
I like that idea.

Is your pins heat treated, or just shafts out of something you had? (the bed)
The pins are 2" thick and just steel shaft.IMO the bed will give before the pins will.

A six inch cylinder @ 4500 psi has 63.6 tons of push. That's getting into some serious force! :eek: I can't tell from the pics, but is the ram free to travel from side to side?
Maybe that is what it pushes,no way i can tell.The press gauge stops just shy of 4500 PSI,i haven't found nothing yet it can't handle.The bed flexes 1/2" under full load.

The cyl can travel both ways to the legs.

I had in mind to put a 4" x 12" cyl between the overshoot of the top beam and the bed on the other side of the right leg for pieces that wont fit in the 4' wide main troath.

/ home build 40 Ton hydr press #13  
Good work Bison. Looks store built to me!!

My picture isn't very good, but, I "stole" this press when I bought out a closing auto dealership shop inventory. Dake rates it at 50 Ton. Bison's press is built a lot stronger based on the pictures. His bench pins are certainly stronger. My press has a gauge and I've had it to 30 Ton. Makes you squint when standing by it. I'm with Bison, can't imagine not having a press now. And yeah,,,, I trip over the legs too... :)

Attachments

• DSC00470.JPG
    DSC00470.JPG
    367.2 KB · Views: 418
Good work Bison. Looks store built to me!!

My picture isn't very good, but, I "stole" this press when I bought out a closing auto dealership shop inventory. Dake rates it at 50 Ton. Bison's press is built a lot stronger based on the pictures. His bench pins are certainly stronger. My press has a gauge and I've had it to 30 Ton. Makes you squint when standing by it. I'm with Bison, can't imagine not having a press now. And yeah,,,, I trip over the legs too... :)
I looked at some new and used 20 to 30 ton manual presses before.
I wasn't too impressed with the light structures versus the price they wanted.
The heavy build hydr presses where way beyond my budget anyway.

I figgured i could build it better and cheaper myself;)

/ home build 40 Ton hydr press #15  
I'm curious about what kind of work you guys do with these presses? I know you can press bearing races and such, but what else: bending metal over supports?

The uses of a good press are endless.
Once you have one you'll never be without again :thumbsup:
from pressing brgs and gears on/off,removing/installing dry sleeves in engine blocks ,disassembly/assembly of transmissions ,etc,to straitening (or bending for that matter) ever piece of metal imaginable.
with a proper adaptor one can form metal as well.
i even used it as a vice to twist a bend tractor cab door back in shape.

The list is endless,new uses are found almost daily.

/ home build 40 Ton hydr press #17  
I would put a safety cage on that fancy looking press. My father in law built one (36 ton) years ago and failed to heed my "cage" advise. A few years ago while pressing a bearing off, the workpeice shot out and hit him square in the chest. One more trip to the ER for him.

We don't want you to wind up on a safety thread.

Great looking press you have there. I will be starting on one this winter.:thumbsup:

I would put a safety cage on that fancy looking press. My father in law built one (36 ton) years ago and failed to heed my "cage" advise. A few years ago while pressing a bearing off, the workpeice shot out and hit him square in the chest. One more trip to the ER for him.

We don't want you to wind up on a safety thread.

Great looking press you have there. I will be starting on one this winter.:thumbsup:
Thanks for the concern. safety is not to be neglected,and i'm allways carefull using it.
But a cage is usually in the way.

I got a remote control with 20' cable on it, for when things appear to get hairy.:D

/ home build 40 Ton hydr press #19  
Just used my craptastic HF press to break a drum (pressing in new lug bolts). And used it yesterday to press the dimples in on some scarifier teeth. Put a nut where I wanted the dimple and drove it in.

/ home build 40 Ton hydr press #20  
Just used my craptastic HF press to break a drum (pressing in new lug bolts). And used it yesterday to press the dimples in on some scarifier teeth. Put a nut where I wanted the dimple and drove it in.

I chuckled at this. Not laughing at you, laughing with you. I compare a press to a loaded weapon. Never point and pull the trigger on a loaded weapon at something you don't intend to harm. Never start pushing on something with a press that you don't intend to alter. :D