home build 40 Ton hydr press

/ home build 40 Ton hydr press #22  

Not that particular one but I have played with a similar type brake on an ironworker. Basically the same thing ( certainly the same principle and general design). It would be handy to have in the shop but there's no way I'd pay over $400 including shipping for that one....appropriately enough for this thread, it looks too easy to build something similar.

/ home build 40 Ton hydr press #24  
Bent the yoke on my drive-shaft pressing out the u-joint. I've used for pressing and bending and breaking stuff.

I can't imagine the pressure under 60 tons of force. You've got to be very very careful with that thing. Like a bomb waiting to go off. Very smart to have an extension on it.

Mine is a manual pump jack version with 12 tons, the thing will still jump off the floor when whatever I'm pressing gives up the ghost.

I like the idea of electric with remote switch.

Yes trip on legs and the boss blew out a tire last year when she ran a leg over on an angle (new Michelin, arguuuu).

Joel

/ home build 40 Ton hydr press
Bent the yoke on my drive-shaft pressing out the u-joint. I've used for pressing and bending and breaking stuff.

I can't imagine the pressure under 60 tons of force. You've got to be very very careful with that thing. Like a bomb waiting to go off. Very smart to have an extension on it.

Mine is a manual pump jack version with 12 tons, the thing will still jump off the floor when whatever I'm pressing gives up the ghost.I like the idea of electric with remote switch.

Yes trip on legs and the boss blew out a tire last year when she ran a leg over on an angle (new Michelin, arguuuu).
Joel

These lighter 12 to 20 jack presses have too much give in the frame and bed,that causes the jumping when the part comes apart under pressure and the frame straitens out again.
Mine doesn't do that cause its build so heavy
I can also inch the ram down 1/16" at the time by tapping the control button.

BTW I never trip over the legs cause they're only sticking out 14" either side.

/ home build 40 Ton hydr press #26  
   / home build 40 Ton hydr press #27  
Yeap, I appreciate the laughing! But I was swearing. Had to drive to the opposite side of the universe (about 50 miles to the other side of Denver) to Jim's Trailer Supply to buy a new drum. Then got a refresher on hub ID's on rims. Another 2 hours going back and forth to the Big O.

A friend of mine built a similar press. He is a young kid getting a welding shop going in nowhere SD/WY. He bought an iron worker punch press and uses the hydraulics to run it (quick connects). Buys his punches as he needs them.

I have the little H frame HF press, and it sure does jump! Makes you realize you need to build something much nicer. Or win the lottery and buy a commercial version. I do want a hydraulic powered one. I remember using a commercial one years ago and recall it had an adjustable setting for flow (or was it pressure?). Kept you from over doing it as you went. And I think it had a foot control.

/ home build 40 Ton hydr press #28  
These lighter 12 to 20 jack presses have too much give in the frame and bed,that causes the jumping when the part comes apart under pressure and the frame straitens out again.
Mine doesn't do that cause its build so heavy.

Yeah, I agree. Mine doesn't jump either.