Horrific ATV accident

/ Horrific ATV accident #11  
Bad parenting is rampant today. One of my renters has a Grasshopper front deck mower and the other day she was running it with her 3 year old daughter riding on it with her and I thought, kid slips and falls forward and that is the end. I often wonder where adult's brains are.

/ Horrific ATV accident #12  

MN CRIME - Police/Fire/EMS ·​

Follow​

·

St. Louis County authorities report a 6-year-old girl was seriously injured when she fell off an ATV and was run over by a brush mower this afternoon. The girl was a passenger riding behind an adult operator of the ATV, who was mowing trails on the 2200 block of North Burtness Road in Field Township, west of Cook.
As they were mowing, the 6-year-old fell off of the ATV and was run over by the brush mower, the sheriff's office said. The girl was transported by ambulance to the Cook hospital and then taken by North Memorial Air Care to Regions Hospital in Saint Paul with serious injuries. The flight crew reported the girl suffered a partial amputation of her foot, as well as numerous lacerations. She was said to be alert before being sedated.

We live only 3 miles from where this accident happened. Her mother was the one driving the ATV with her daughter riding and had to lift the mower off the girl to begin treatment. Latest update is that in addition to the amputated foot, she suffered a broken left humerus and deep lacerations to her left shoulder. We are in shock around here regarding this accident.
Sounds like momma was going too fast.

/ Horrific ATV accident #14  
Bad parenting is rampant today. One of my renters has a Grasshopper front deck mower and the other day she was running it with her 3 year old daughter riding on it with her and I thought, kid slips and falls forward and that is the end. I often wonder where adult's brains are.

Those Grasshoppers look real nice; too bad money can't buy common sense.

/ Horrific ATV accident #15  
Agree. When rotary mowing, kids should be at a distance.
Kids should be at a distance when there’s any power equipment around whether it’s a skid steer, tractor backhoe, anything in my opinion.

Too many people think it’s not going to happen to them but 21 years on a fire department I know it happens when you least expect it and it can happen to anyone.

/ Horrific ATV accident #16  
I don't even let my dogs near me while running ANY kind of machine. This includes welders, grinders, chop saw, weed wackers, golf carts, chain saws, and leaf blowers, mowers, and any tractor movement.
I like to sleep well.

/ Horrific ATV accident #17  
I don't even let my dogs near me while running ANY kind of machine.
Exactly!! I will let my dog follow me up the road when going to and from the garden, but if I'm using any implement he stays home. My previous dog was a bit different... she learned what she could and couldn't do. When I was hauling wood out into the road behind my tractor she would go out first... she knew not to go in front of vehicles so if she was in the road I knew that nobody was coming.

/ Horrific ATV accident
It’s been a day and I’m still in disbelief of this one as the parents are both highly placed people I can’t believe allowed this. Two or three years ago, a shared in this forum my wife’s niece’s ex being found dead under his brush hog where he had apparently fallen from his tractor, but he was believed to have been intoxicated. Earlier this year, I was returning home from a field 4 miles away when I came across a neighbor lying in the county road (gravel) where he had fallen off his tractor which was stalled in the ditch. I thought he had a seizure so I stopped to help only to find he had a 12 pack in one hand and a can in the other. He was trying to open a beer when he fell off. He told me he was okay, go on, so I did. Those two I wasn’t surprised. The parents of this girl - the last I would have thought would have let their child ride on an ATV, especially with a mower behind.

/ Horrific ATV accident #19  

MN CRIME - Police/Fire/EMS ·​

Follow​

·

St. Louis County authorities report a 6-year-old girl was seriously injured when she fell off an ATV and was run over by a brush mower this afternoon. The girl was a passenger riding behind an adult operator of the ATV, who was mowing trails on the 2200 block of North Burtness Road in Field Township, west of Cook.
As they were mowing, the 6-year-old fell off of the ATV and was run over by the brush mower, the sheriff's office said. The girl was transported by ambulance to the Cook hospital and then taken by North Memorial Air Care to Regions Hospital in Saint Paul with serious injuries. The flight crew reported the girl suffered a partial amputation of her foot, as well as numerous lacerations. She was said to be alert before being sedated.

We live only 3 miles from where this accident happened. Her mother was the one driving the ATV with her daughter riding and had to lift the mower off the girl to begin treatment. Latest update is that in addition to the amputated foot, she suffered a broken left humerus and deep lacerations to her left shoulder. We are in shock around here regarding this accident.
We can ALL learn from this. It's sad when anyone gets hurt but it's especially bad when it's such a small child. I guess the good news is that she is alive. It could have been much much worse. My prayers for the Girl and her Family.

/ Horrific ATV accident #20  
How sad for this little angel! Her mother needs to be sent to prison for reckless endangerment or worse, criminal endangerment.

NK not all of us need to learn from this, those of us with common sense would never allow a passenger while running a brush hog, that's asking for trouble from the get-go.