Horrific ATV accident

/ Horrific ATV accident #21  
So sad.
Machinery is tools, not toys. Respect it.

/ Horrific ATV accident #23  
Around here, it being a very rural farming area, kids drive large farm tractors and other motorized equipment including dad's pickup truck and / or the grain trucks and including semi's, as soon as they can reach the pedals and see over the dash, I did the same actually and I'm no better or worse for it either but, out here parents instill things in their kids that urban or suburban parents don't for the most part. Well, most. That don't include my air headed renter who came from the city and wanted to live in the country but left her brain elsewhere. I vaguely remember driving one of the straight tandem axle grain trucks when I was a grasshopper. Had to sit on a telephone book to see over the dash and dad put blocks on the pedals so I could reach them... Glad it was an automatic as no way could I reach the gearshift lever and drive it too.

/ Horrific ATV accident #24  
Neighbor here harrowed his little daughter. She was lucky and only got a leg gash. I would not have a kid on any tractor that didn't have a buddy seat while working. No I don't have anything that new, so no riders.

/ Horrific ATV accident #25  
Around here, it being a very rural farming area, kids drive large farm tractors and other motorized equipment including dad's pickup truck and / or the grain trucks and including semi's, as soon as they can reach the pedals and see over the dash, I did the same actually and I'm no better or worse for it either but, out here parents instill things in their kids that urban or suburban parents don't for the most part. Well, most. That don't include my air headed renter who came from the city and wanted to live in the country but left her brain elsewhere. I vaguely remember driving one of the straight tandem axle grain trucks when I was a grasshopper. Had to sit on a telephone book to see over the dash and dad put blocks on the pedals so I could reach them... Glad it was an automatic as no way could I reach the gearshift lever and drive it too.
Farming has been, and always will be inherently dangerous. The thing that is missing today is the parental oversight of the child in a learning environment. I was taught to drive tractors and heavy trucks as a "child." Without an on-road license. It seems more of a sense of responsibility lacking in intelligent parental guidance these days. I always knew I was being watched and trained as a kid. Risk, yes, but always under adult supervision. That doesn't always seem the norm today. That said, you can't make farming safe, only less dangerous with great effort.

/ Horrific ATV accident #27  
That kid really lucked out considering.

Yes her Mama needs common sense classes.

/ Horrific ATV accident #28  
Bad parenting is rampant today. One of my renters has a Grasshopper front deck mower and the other day she was running it with her 3 year old daughter riding on it with her and I thought, kid slips and falls forward and that is the end. I often wonder where adult's brains are.
Not just today, I look back at my own childhood and the number of situations I was in that could have gone badly. Many was the time I rode on the back of my neighbor's 9N, kind of braced between a fender and the 3PH while he was baling hay. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

/ Horrific ATV accident #29  
As a boy I was instructed on how to run the old horse drawn plow through the earth behind the tractor. All was going well. We were making a deep drainage ditch to drain some pasture at the spring. I was holding on with feet almost off the ground trying to weigh the handles down when suddenly I was knocked clean out when the blade went under an old steel pipe and the plow handle hit me in the jaw with the speed and force of God Almighty. :p Farming ain't for the weak of heart.

/ Horrific ATV accident #30  
Good old common "Horse Sense" like so many things... a thing of the past