Horsepower/Acre

/ Horsepower/Acre #21  
37 hp / 8 acres = .21 acres/hp
the pasture was terribly abused (jerk sold off the topsoil) so it's being used for tilling, tilling, tilling anbd brushhogging. Also plan to auger some postholes this week and it was used a bit to plow to the barn so the spouse could use my golfcart (with snowchains) to get back and feed the horses.

too bad that common sense ain't

/ Horsepower/Acre #22  
oops ... add another 8 acres. Bird's post about all the "other" uses for his tractor reminded me that I brush about 8 acres of cell tower land in the back (so I don't feel bad about using it for my horses)

too bad that common sense ain't

/ Horsepower/Acre #23  
JimBinMI

Not in your lifetime! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I couldn't find a spec sheet on your tractor. What is the wheelbase and weight?

/ Horsepower/Acre #24  
Bird,

They are predicting rain for this weekend. I found a few sprigs of coastal coming up so it is not ALL dead yet.

The grass hoppers are starting to show up and eat everything green in sight. I found some natural bait that keeps them from growing, but it is too expensive to use except maybe around a garden. I will put that out this weekend.

/ Horsepower/Acre #25  
Bird,

Seems like I remember that you had some data on a 3/4 inch impact wrench that was good for about 900 ft pounds. That should either remove or twist off most tractor and implement bolts, shouldn't it? Sorry, but I have pounded on wrenches with my hands for the last time. Big air compressor and good impact wrench.

/ Horsepower/Acre #26  
jdkid,

Good analysis. Every time I try to hire someone to do a job for me who has bigger equipment, their schedule doesn't match mine or the weather. I never could get my tank cleaned out and sealed when it was dry, because I was waiting for the new tractor to come in and the guy who was going to do it was booked up with new construction.

I tried to get coastal bermuda sprigged for nearly two months and finally just lucked out to get it sprigged just after a good rain, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Doesn't take much HP to mow, but takes a lot more for most agricultural work. But the same tractor is capable of doing both economically.

/ Horsepower/Acre #27  
hi Wen
yep it's always the way if you don't have your own tractor sometimes you can't find a spear one for love or money .just more on " i may"i want"i need"way of thinking i'll use 3 farms i have driven(note i have been full time driving for over 15 years and if ya realy want i'd add up all the brands and model's i have driven)
1, "I may"my grandfathers farm had a Mc IH B250 (25-27hp) on about 35 acres it did all kinds of agri work plowing etc (ok it was slow BUT it was all he needed )the work still happened but it took time
2 "I want"on Av farm where i have worked running 70-120Hp they work out when they need feed sowen by and work back from that date so it happens by the due date some times it is over kill but still needed to get things done
3 "I need " when working in Oz the farmer i worked for had 4 tractors over 150hp(jd 4240,4455,8440 and a ford NH 280 hp)we put in over 6000 acres of crop in 3 weeks(no air seeders!!)we would sit around for weeks till the rain 's then it was all go if we missed the best time for seeding that was it for the year.a footnote the Ford NH only did 200Hr's per when i got there i though he was mad haveing so much Hp in his shed only when i drove it 16 hours per day and seen how the lack of Hp would stuff his whole farming set up i come to see at times Tim the tool man is RIGHT :)
cya
JD Kid

/ Horsepower/Acre
Wen,

NH TC18, HP 18.5, Wheelbase 55.3 inches, weight FWD 1438 lbs., 3 pt. lift @ 24" aft hitch 1265 lbs., pto hp HST 14, Ranges 2, Hydraulic pump capacity w/o power steering (mine) 4.0 gpm, w/pwr steering 6.75 gpm, rated rpm 2600, fuel capacity 5.3 gal., rear pto 540, mid pto 2000, ground clearance 10.2 inches, no supersteer available on TC18.

Hope this helps, if you have a Kubota B brochure you'll notice that this little toy tractor of mine outspecs the 1700, 2100 and 2400 in many areas! And costs less than all!/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Horsepower/Acre #29  
Yeah, Wen, 900 ft.lbs. should be adequate; doesn't necessarily mean it will be./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif You know sometimes after they've been there awhile, things like lug nuts turn out to be a lot "tighter" than they were when first put on.

Bird

/ Horsepower/Acre #30  
Hi All!

I'm still waiting for delivery of my B2910 (hopefully will be this week, or next at the latest. The dealer is waiting for the sub-frame for the backhoe). I know I stated in a previous e-mail that I had 3/4 acre, but that was a bit of an exaggeration. The actual number is 0.64 acres (28,000 sq. ft.). So, the B2910 is rated at 30 hp, which gives a hp/acre number of 30/0.64 = 46.875 hp/acre.

Can't really justify it. A B7500 would have been more than enough. I'm going to use it for loader and backhoe work, some posthole digging and snow removal. I have another lawn tractor to cut the grass. When I was done adding all those "toys", it made sense to spend a couple extra grand and get the top-of-the-line of the B series. Hey, once people started questioning my sanity, I might as well have proved them right!

I have to say this. The "Tim the Toolman Taylor" in me is grinning from ear to ear with perhaps the highest hp/acre ratio of anyone who has yet posted. A great big, throaty, grunty "unnh unnnhh unnnnhhhhh oh yeah!!!".

Of course, then again, this high ratio may have more to say about the "sanity" (or lack of, in my case) of us tractor "nuts" than any other indicator.

Question: If the race gets close for the highest hp/acre ratio, can I add the 13 hp of my Honda lawn tractor to the 30 of the B2910?

Thanks,

Rick