House Build 2023

/ House Build 2023 #321  
Get a roll of blue tape and look at all your tile. It's easier to get somebody to come back and fix a grout issue, or bad touch up paint now, then after you have moved in and paid everyone their last check. Then put a piece of tape everywhere that you see an issue. Same thing with your cabinets, counters and fixtures. If you see something, put some blue tape on it. Do not rely on your memory. If you find a lot of issues, take pictures too. It's not unheard of for a guy to come back, fix a few things and remove all the tape to pretend that he fixed everything.

Open and close every door. Look at the spacing around the door and the frame. Especially at the top of the door. It's crazy how many times I've seen the opening at the top of the door be bigger on one side then the other.

Do the deadbolts work freely and is are the door seals good? It's not uncommon to install the dead bolt so it's loose because it's easy to open and close with a key, but then there are gaps around the seals that let cold wind in. Exterior doors are steady work for me.

Turn on every light switch and make sure it does something. It's crazy, but it's almost common to find switches in a house that nobody knows what they go to.

Double check your three way light switches to make sure they work from both sides. I was in a very high end, 5,000 square foot house on the lake that had a three way switch in the hall to the garage that didn't work from both ends. They just got used to it and only mentioned to it when I was all done with a project for them and was getting ready to leave. Turned out that one switch had the wires backwards and it had been that way for over a decade.

Is drainage good around the outside of the house? any standing water?

Do you have the leftover materials so you can match them in the future if you need to make a repair? Paint cans? Stain cans? Grout? colored caulking? Same with flooring materials. Be sure to have the box it came it. Most have lifetime warranties that are totally worthless. If something goes wrong and it's their fault, they will send you a replacement for free. They don't do anything else, that's up to you. So you need to know what you have on your floor so you can try to find it if you need more. I'm doing a bathroom tile floor repair later this month where the plumbers broke through the tile to get to a leaking pipe. They only have a few pieces of tile that where leftover from when the house was built two decades ago and that tile has long been discontinued. They have spent months looking for it. Since they don't have enough tile to remove all the broken pieces, I'm going to cut some in place and use the full pieces that they do have for the middle of the bathroom. I think it will work, but I have to be perfect and not make any mistakes to make it look like it was the original floor. The more materials that you have left over, the better off you will be when you need them in the future!!!!!

I also tell clients to save the boxes of their fixtures. If a faucet starts to leak in a few years, most of the big name manufacturers will overnight you a new cartridge to replace the leaking one. They just need to know the model number of the leaking faucet. Almost nobody saves this information, and 90% of the time, they end up buying a new one when they could of gotten the repair parts for free.

Keep a list after you move in of things you find that need fixing. Here in Texas, the warrantee is for one year. If it's a small thing, just write it down so you don't forget it when you call for things to be fixed.

/ House Build 2023 #322  
Get a roll of blue tape and look at all your tile. It's easier to get somebody to come back and fix a grout issue, or bad touch up paint now, then after you have moved in and paid everyone their last check. Then put a piece of tape everywhere that you see an issue. Same thing with your cabinets, counters and fixtures. If you see something, put some blue tape on it. Do not rely on your memory. If you find a lot of issues, take pictures too. It's not unheard of for a guy to come back, fix a few things and remove all the tape to pretend that he fixed everything.

Open and close every door. Look at the spacing around the door and the frame. Especially at the top of the door. It's crazy how many times I've seen the opening at the top of the door be bigger on one side then the other.

Do the deadbolts work freely and is are the door seals good? It's not uncommon to install the dead bolt so it's loose because it's easy to open and close with a key, but then there are gaps around the seals that let cold wind in. Exterior doors are steady work for me.

Turn on every light switch and make sure it does something. It's crazy, but it's almost common to find switches in a house that nobody knows what they go to.

Double check your three way light switches to make sure they work from both sides. I was in a very high end, 5,000 square foot house on the lake that had a three way switch in the hall to the garage that didn't work from both ends. They just got used to it and only mentioned to it when I was all done with a project for them and was getting ready to leave. Turned out that one switch had the wires backwards and it had been that way for over a decade.

Is drainage good around the outside of the house? any standing water?

Do you have the leftover materials so you can match them in the future if you need to make a repair? Paint cans? Stain cans? Grout? colored caulking? Same with flooring materials. Be sure to have the box it came it. Most have lifetime warranties that are totally worthless. If something goes wrong and it's their fault, they will send you a replacement for free. They don't do anything else, that's up to you. So you need to know what you have on your floor so you can try to find it if you need more. I'm doing a bathroom tile floor repair later this month where the plumbers broke through the tile to get to a leaking pipe. They only have a few pieces of tile that where leftover from when the house was built two decades ago and that tile has long been discontinued. They have spent months looking for it. Since they don't have enough tile to remove all the broken pieces, I'm going to cut some in place and use the full pieces that they do have for the middle of the bathroom. I think it will work, but I have to be perfect and not make any mistakes to make it look like it was the original floor. The more materials that you have left over, the better off you will be when you need them in the future!!!!!

I also tell clients to save the boxes of their fixtures. If a faucet starts to leak in a few years, most of the big name manufacturers will overnight you a new cartridge to replace the leaking one. They just need to know the model number of the leaking faucet. Almost nobody saves this information, and 90% of the time, they end up buying a new one when they could of gotten the repair parts for free.

Keep a list after you move in of things you find that need fixing. Here in Texas, the warrantee is for one year. If it's a small thing, just write it down so you don't forget it when you call for things to be fixed.

Wow. What a great checklist!

/ House Build 2023
Neat place for a light... The middle is also a light...

20240103_122910.jpg

/ House Build 2023
Those beams really set off the wood on you ceiling!!! Very nice.

How high up is your fan? On the box, there should be a diagram showing where the fan needs to be from the floor to be effective. Too high and you don't get any air movement.

Update on the fan. I think it moves plenty of air. We spent a couple hours in the great room talking to some friends over the weekend. I turned it on in the "reverse" direction and i could feel warm air coming down the walls and mixing at floor level. That is exactly what i was hoping for. It's not strong enough to move papers on the island but it is mixing air.

/ House Build 2023 #325  
Fans are funny. I've installed them 7 feet off the ground and nobody could fee the air, other times, they move so much air it's uncomfortable. It's good to hear that you got a good one and it's working like you want it to.

/ House Build 2023
It's been raining nonstop for 2 weeks or so. The cold snap we got held up the last box of tile so we are still without a toilet in the master. But, we are starting to move stuff in today. Here is a short walk through of the mostly finished product. Ignore my heavy breathing i tell myself it's the awesome mic on this phone....

/ House Build 2023 #327  
Very nice house!!!! Congratulations.

Looks like you have plenty of closets!!!!! It's funny how many houses don't have anywhere to store stuff.

What did you use for a door on your "Safe" room? I saw the cinder block walls on your video, but didn't see what the door looked like. Eventually, I want to build one in my house because we've had tornado's ten miles away.

Gun safe in the master is great!!!

Looks like you have your laundry right next to your master closet. I saw something like this in a clients house years ago and it was the smartest thing I ever saw in a house that nobody ever does. When I added on to my house, I put the laundry inside the Master Closet. It just makes so much sense to take the clothes out and hang them up in the same room.

/ House Build 2023
Thanks! It's a monster steel door. I couldn't move it very far by myself. The frame is built into the blocks as they are laid so it's locked in. I'll have to look back through invoices but it's an official storm shelter door.

20240127_114834.jpg

/ House Build 2023 #329  
That's a good looking door!!!! I'm looking forward to the day that I can build my room. Every time there's a tornado in the area, we have to decide what we're going to do, and how we're going to try and save the dogs. Our best option is to climb into the bathroom and hope for the best with one or two of our six dogs. When I build the safe room, we're going to put dog kennels in it so we can lock them up if things might get bad and not worry about them.