Snow How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt?

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #11  
I live far enough out that the county doesn't use de-icing compounds on their roads. And the only time I come in contact with the county road is where my driveway connects with it.

They use some kind of liquid sprayed from a tanker truck now - in the big city. I noticed it completely ate the tubular running boards off my son's pickup.

I avoid the big city - Spokane - like the plague in the winter.

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #12  
I noticed a bit of rust forming and since I had a couple of rattle cans of gravel guard left over I sprayed the undersides of my fenders.
As far as I can tell that has done a good job of deterring rust especially in folds and creases.
Cheap prevention IMHO.

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #13  
I will be picking up a lightly used BX2370 next week and I am wondering if I should be worried about road salt getting on the tractor or implements. My driveway is ~900 feet long and gravel. I occasionally throw some rock salt down on the driveway and there is whatever falls of the cars from driving on roads. I could also drive onto the road a bit to push snow across the street.

Is this something I should be worried about? How do you all clean up your tractors? I want this tractor to last for 30 years and figure I need to treat it right from the get-go. Thanks!

I spray my tractor down with the hose in the Spring and in the Fall, whether it needs it or not.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the paint is intact, it won't rust. Touch up any dents or scrapes during your annual services, and it'll outlive you.

You should see my 15 y/o pickup right now...it's theoretically green, but it's completely white right now. I'm lucky to wash it every 3 years, and it's rusting, but only where I've crashed it.

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #14  
I believe what they are spraying on the paved roads is magnesium chloride not calcium chloride, because calcium chloride makes asphalt slippery as loon poop.

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #15  
If I used my tractors in a salted environment I'd spray them (judiciously) with Rust Check. It has a water displacer in it and a creeping agent in addition to rust inhibitors and I've used it religiously on my 20 year old Chevy truck to keep rust away.

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #16  
I'm moving everything to Mississippi. We rely on warm weather to remove the snow.

10 snowiest seasons in Tupelo snowfall TOTALS:
1. 14.8" 1935-1936
2. 10.8" 2010-2011
3. 9.2" 1939-1940
4. 9.0" 1984-1985
5. 8.3" 1987-1988
6. 8.0" 1934-1935
7. 6.5" 1983-1984
8. 4.3" 1994-1995
9. 4.0" 1930-1931
10. 4.0" 1999-2000
Tupelo Top 10 Climate Lists by Month

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #17  
Why not use sand, ashes (wood stove) or kitty litter if traction is the issue on a driveway. Some places are using beet juice with good results.
Plenty Magazine - Environmental News and Commentary

Spring will take care off the ice.
While these will track more mess into the house. The salt could be used on the walks close to the house.

I drove a calcium truck some 30+ years ago for the dirt roads here. It rotted everything out that it was on in a short time.

Al

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #18  
The salt could be used on the walks close to the house.

I drove a calcium truck some 30+ years ago for the dirt roads here. It rotted everything out that it was on in a short time.

Al

My company changed from calcium chloride (35%0 to 32% Magnesium Chloride about 10 years ago. Mag. Chloride does exactly the same thing as CC only it is a little more environmentally friendly. Mag Chloride can be weakened down to use as a de-icer in winter, where as CC will make pavement slick.

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #19  
Use fertilizer instead of rock salt. it melts snow and then fertilizes, rather than kills vegetation.

I use Rust Reformer by Rustoleum. It's a black primer, plus has a chemical in it that turns FeO (rust) to FeS (which is also black). I once sprayed my Gravely snow plow with it that had some bare, shiny spots on it, and it never ever rusted. There have been other of these kinds of products out, and I've used most of them. They all work by chemically changing the rust to iron sulfide.

Ralph

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #20  
In the fall I wax all that I can and spray everything else with fluid Film. In the spring I use gunk and pressure wash everything.
Grease and wax for the summer.