Snow How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt?

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #31  
My JD 2130 is 37 years old and does not have any rust on it, and the roads have a lot of calcium on them around here. My secret is there is always an oil leak somewhere ( hose connection or seal) and it takes care of the rustproofing. lol

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #32  
Doing winter setup for highway plow gear (graders, loaders) they would receive a VERY liberal coat of fluid film on all internal areas that were reachable. Under hatches and covers particularly. Electrical cables and connectors and all. We'd use it from the bulk gallon containers and shoot it with a shutz gun. The exterior panels wern't covered with FF. When the equipment was returned in spring a thorough hot water pressure clean was standard. This removed most of the FF coating. Worked well and kept rust to a minimum. This was for gear that was on salted roads 24/7. Would I do it for my BX on my driveway at home? Probably not. Not that its expensive (the treatment is under $100/gal) but there is only minimal salt on my drive and my tractor never sees the highway. If I had a larger machine that was used for plowing as a business? Absolutely, FF is cheap insurance.

Rust check is a great product. But the red can is intended to be sprayed into cavities like when undercoating a car. Its a thin, penetrating, creeping oil (great for hinges and locks BTW). RC has a newer product that is called Coat and Protect that comes in a green can. Its thick and stays where its sprayed (minimum creep). Its a close equivalent to FF. IMHO it would be a better product for a tractor. Its neater and stays put.

One last product is called Krown. Its what I use on my personal vehicles. Its thick like FF too. Almost like really soft butter. It works extremely well. You can get it from just about any Mack/Volvo truck centre under a Mack PN and save a bunch over the Krown dealers prices.

This is the product in a 20L bucket. Enough to do a couple cars and still some left over for the tractor/ PN# M20LLR

IMG_4966_zps0fb7e079.jpg

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #33  
WD - 40 with an extension piece of flexible tubing over the provided red stiff plastic tube makes covering an area hard to get or where metal pieces join a breeze. Once a month treatment does well.

robt65

Doing winter setup for highway plow gear (graders, loaders) they would receive a VERY liberal coat of fluid film on all internal areas that were reachable. Under hatches and covers particularly. Electrical cables and connectors and all. We'd use it from the bulk gallon containers and shoot it with a shutz gun. The exterior panels wern't covered with FF. When the equipment was returned in spring a thorough hot water pressure clean was standard. This removed most of the FF coating. Worked well and kept rust to a minimum. This was for gear that was on salted roads 24/7. Would I do it for my BX on my driveway at home? Probably not. Not that its expensive (the treatment is under $100/gal) but there is only minimal salt on my drive and my tractor never sees the highway. If I had a larger machine that was used for plowing as a business? Absolutely, FF is cheap insurance.

Rust check is a great product. But the red can is intended to be sprayed into cavities like when undercoating a car. Its a thin, penetrating, creeping oil (great for hinges and locks BTW). RC has a newer product that is called Coat and Protect that comes in a green can. Its thick and stays where its sprayed (minimum creep). Its a close equivalent to FF. IMHO it would be a better product for a tractor. Its neater and stays put.

One last product is called Krown. Its what I use on my personal vehicles. Its thick like FF too. Almost like really soft butter. It works extremely well. You can get it from just about any Mack/Volvo truck centre under a Mack PN and save a bunch over the Krown dealers prices.

This is the product in a 20L bucket. Enough to do a couple cars and still some left over for the tractor/ PN# M20LLR

IMG_4966_zps0fb7e079.jpg

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #34  
Each spring the 4 working tractors get a good bath with the pressure washer and then a spray wax on the sides and underneath. Have not had a rust problem.

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt?
Good to know, guys. Thank you. You all are mentioning products I have never heard of before. Good stuff.

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #36  
Heh, I just ordered a 2-gal FF 'u/coating' kit ('NAS' formula) with the 'deluxe gun' and 32" flexible wand upgrades. Rattle cans of the stuff have been extensively tested and have won me over to this modern, user-friendly version of cosmoline (lanolin base), tho' Pam 'original' is still my pick for use on rusty implement rims ... that need aired-up again in mos now vs days. (non-dino oils are nicer to rubber)

My o'all take is that diligent application makes choice of product less critical, & tho' I have my faves I know enough to also try what others here have suggested. (btw, you guys ROCK!) tog

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #37  
   / How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #38  
I am using this stuff to clean and protect. It is easy to use for the hard to get to places and doesn't leave a white haze on the plastic pieces. Just spray on and wipe off. I have only been using it a short time so can't say how it will prevent rust long term nor do I have to deal with salt.

FW1 Wash & Wax 17.50 oz. Aerosol Can

FW1 Wash & Wax 17.50 oz. Aerosol Can (Special Internet Price) [FW1] - $19.99 : FW1 Racing Formula, HIGH PERFORMANCE CLEANING WAX IN AN AEROSOL CAN

I've one friend who swears by it for his 442 Oldsmobile that he absolutely pampers and I've heard a couple of other people who've used it claim it's great stuff. I picked up a couple of cans last fall and gave my Nissan Xtrail a good waxing and in a couple of weeks after a wash job I'll see how it stood up over winter while parked outside (no room in my garage :irked:). I park the SUV over winter and only drive it in the nicest weather and never on gravel roads. :wink:

/ How do you all avoid rust forming on your tractors from road salt? #39  
Move to south GA, we don't even know what that stuff is. :D