How do you like your new John Deere Gator XUV

/ How do you like your new John Deere Gator XUV #11  
pappy19 said:
For that kind of money you can get a loaded up Kubota 900 and I can tell you, there is ALOT of difference between the two of them. I'm not here to start a brand war, believe me, but at least you should look at a Kubota. Even if you look at their web site, they do a comparison with the "big 3", that being Polaris, JD, and Kubota.

Do you mean the Kubota "Competitive Comparison" that compares the RTV900's with the John Deere Gator 6x4 Diesel and the Polaris Professional - two models that have not been manufactured for some time??? The 6x4 Diesel is now the TH Diesel, and Polaris discontinued the Professional Series awhile back... The comparison should include the XUV, or at least the slightly older HPX, to be fair. Anyway, just my two cents.

/ How do you like your new John Deere Gator XUV #12  
The list price on a well equipped gas Gator will be in the $12,000 mark, you should be able to buy it for at least 10% less than that. Here in Illinois tractors are common and unless you are using it for a car, you can get by the highway with a SMV (slow moving vehicle) emblem and flashers. Utility vehicles are not allowed on Illinois roadways but that doesn't mean you can't get by. I take my XUV to town on the back streets and stay on the secondary roads without any hassle. Whats is good about the XUV is that you can jump a ditch or hit a field if you need to get off the road in a hurry.

I have had an 05 HPX, a 06 HPX, and now a 07 XUV. The 06 HPX was a good machine but I thought I had to have the newest and best. The HPX is good if nothing else for the ride. I noticed it is quite a bit louder that the HPX but I attribute that to the design and the canopy.

On the HPX, the muffler was under the bed, on the XUV, the muffler is out in the open to the rear. The canopy also gives you an echo effect. The XUV also has a more noisy drive train. The HPX was a lot smoother and quieter on the drive train. I figure you have to give one thing up to get another.

The XUV starts better but you need to wait a few seconds before shifting into gear for the rpm's to settle down after starting or you will grind the gears. The HPX could be shifted immediately after starting.

One thing you can do to reduce the rattle significantly is to modify the shoulder harness. I am not one for using the seat belt and when going down the road the upper shoulder harness will rattle loudly because it is shaking and vibrating on the bracket attached to the roll cage. Get some air conditioner weather seal, the foam stuff that is 1 1/4 by 1 1/4 square and cut off about an inch or so. Poke a hole in the middle that a bolt will fit through. Take the bolt off the upper seat shoulder harness and put a piece of the foam seal on both side of the bolt. Reinstall the bolt. It make for a neat job, does not effect the performance of the seat belt but puts enough pressure on the bracket so it doesn't rattle against the roll cage. It will make a huge difference in sound. I did the same thing to my HPX when I got it new.

I do believe the XUV was worth the trade, it is perfect, no. Is is good enough for me, absolutely. The ride is tremendous compared to anything John Deere had before. My son said it has a much better ride than his Honda 4 wheeler. I can run full speed over rough plowed ground. It starts good, it pulls like a horse, will go through mud and about any terrain. It steers decent and has good acceleration, perhaps too good acceleration at times. When coming off a stop, you really have to watch if you want to creep up because it will shoot away from you pretty easy. I have also noticed is has good engine braking when going down a hill.

The only real complaints I have is the engine/muffler noise and extra drive train noise. As a side note, when going full speed down a paved road, you can hear a bit of a grinding road noise is a systematic rythum. I attribute this to the belt hitting the high side of the pulley. You can't hear it in dirt.

/ How do you like your new John Deere Gator XUV #13  
Buying a 1st year run of any vehicle you are taking a chance.
I bought my rhino on the 2nd year of the release and they
had tuned it down significantly. The 1st rhinos were much faster than the 2nd year run.
EPA and attorneys I think have allot to do with the changes.
As for the xuv, I couldn't be happier. If an hpx moved as fast as an xuv you would hear rattles you didn't know existed.
The xuv is IMHO the best of both worlds for work and play.
If you just want to play get a rhino or one of the many other side by sides on the market~!

/ How do you like your new John Deere Gator XUV #14  
Hi Matthew3120:
I am curious about your tractor traffic stop. Please let us know the details. Did you get a ticket? Did you have a SMV triangle? What law did you break? I thought that tractors were allowed just about everywhere except on limited access highways.
Thanks, Marshall

matthew3120 said:
Well After getting in trouble for driving my John deere 3120 on the Highway am going to go to the credit union tomarrow to hopefully get a loan to play off my tractor so I can trade it in on the new John Deere Gator XUV With all the little goodies on it.I priced it at $18,680.00 with everything. My question is how do you like you New Gator XUV. What do you not like about and what you do like about it. I do work at a John Deere dealership but its hard to to tell if you like it when drive from the lot to the shop area. So I would appericate any information on the Gator XUV. It is hard selling my tractor but if i can't drive it 10 blocks down the highway and can't take it off my property it does not pay to have it that was the whole reason I got the tractor and because I like the 3X20 line of tractors.I had alot of jobs line up to do but that never going to happen. Sorry for going like this but I am pretty mad at the state trooper for stoping me and I hope I can get this Gator in about month which would be nice and not make fell so bad.

Matthew3120

/ How do you like your new John Deere Gator XUV #15  
pappy19 said:
For that kind of money you can get a loaded up Kubota 900 and I can tell you, there is ALOT of difference between the two of them. I'm not here to start a brand war, believe me, but at least you should look at a Kubota. Even if you look at their web site, they do a comparison with the "big 3", that being Polaris, JD, and Kubota.

I wouldn't pay almost $19K for any UTV I don't care how great it is. I wasn't all that happy paying what I did for my HPX but it was $10K less than that...

/ How do you like your new John Deere Gator XUV #16  
JDGREEN4ME said:
I wouldn't pay almost $19K for any UTV I don't care how great it is. I wasn't all that happy paying what I did for my HPX but it was $10K less than that...

It was more like $18k less $2k for the trailer, so $16k and no interest for 2 years, and that was loaded with everything but a winch. It will only do 25 mph, but that's as fast as I want to go on trails or down the road. I am glad you like your HPX as that's what makes the world go round.

/ How do you like your new John Deere Gator XUV #17  
pappy19 said:
It was more like $18k less $2k for the trailer, so $16k and no interest for 2 years, and that was loaded with everything but a winch. It will only do 25 mph, but that's as fast as I want to go on trails or down the road. I am glad you like your HPX as that's what makes the world go round.

Just for the record I was refering to the $18,680 that Matthew3120 was quoted for a John Deere XUV...:)

/ How do you like your new John Deere Gator XUV #18  
Matt,

There is no way I would do this. I would wait a while, until the sting of the trooper encounter settles down. You have a nice tractor, and I know you have done a lot to it to customize it. If the machine is a burden financially, then selling it is a good idea. But I would not sell it for this event alone. Yes, it would be nice to have a Gator machine, but it is not as nice as a tractor. I have a gasoline XUV. I have had a diesel HPX. The XUV rides much better and seems well-made. It is not as fast as the Polaris, but I think is its equal off road, and probably slightly (ever so slightly) more a work vehicle. There is no way I think this price is good. My buddy built my really souped up Gator with all options except cab for a good bit less than $13K, so you can see how your price compares (it doesn't). Anything that costs that much and is not a car should have a bucket and three point hitch.

John M

/ How do you like your new John Deere Gator XUV
Thank you everybody for your input and I will agree with you jcmseven if I was in a financially problem but I am doing great with the payments. You all may or may not seen post on this site about my tractor and its upgrades. I is truelt one of a kind and Just so you all know I was fine 1250.00 dollars for driving it down highway 2 here in ashland wisconsin. If you have seen my tractor it is road legal and has all the lights and signs you could want. The state trooper that stop me will not rest till he has me off the road for good and I did not break any law just going 3 block down the road to look at a job.

Matthew3120

Attachments

• hatch 005.jpg
    hatch 005.jpg
    924.5 KB · Views: 1,419
   / How do you like your new John Deere Gator XUV #20  
What were you charged with? On the ticket the trooper should have referenced your state's criminal code. Get on the internet and do a search for your states criminal code and see if that violation compares to wat you were doing. You said you had some jobs lined up to do with your tractor. If you can afford a tractor like that and all of the add ons, surely you can afford $1000 more for a trailer to carry it to the job site.