How does your garden grow?

/ How does your garden grow? #11  
Mine is pretty much on schedule; the best year for onions ever for me. Put them in about mid February and they are coming on like Gang Busters...and we are eating them the same way. Planted some "Candy" onions for the first time, and they made a believer out of me. Noticed, though, that some of the smaller onions were missing their tops...not many grasshoppers this time of year, so that left one thing...either turkeys or deer. Caught the culprits in the act this morning early: The turkeys.

Other than onions, just got my 'maters, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, etc. in this week. Still a bit cool, but shouldn't freeze any more this Spring (knock on wood).

/ How does your garden grow? #12  
To /Pine...My almanack says planting above ground May 3,4,5 best....with the 13th and 14th full moon as good. Does transplanting follow the same days as planting seed?

/ How does your garden grow? #13  
To /Pine...My almanack says planting above ground May 3,4,5 best....with the 13th and 14th full moon as good. Does transplanting follow the same days as planting seed?

My calendar/almanac lists "moon sign" planting days by several different categories..."above ground", "root crops", "transplanting", and "seedbeds"

For May my calendar says for above ground crops the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 11th, 12th, 13th and the 31st...

Transplanting days are the 14th, 22nd, 23rd, 26th, 27th...

Root crops are the 14th, 17th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd, 26th, 27th...

Seed beds 3rd, 4th, 5th, 13th, 14th, and the 31st...

Also... above ground crops should be planted in the "new" of the moon and root crops in the "old" of the moon...

/ How does your garden grow?
In hindsight, I see I should have waited a couple of days to transplant my tomatoes. We had storms all night long and the tops were beat down and had mud on them. I got out this morning and gently freed the tops and got as much of the mud off as I could. The rain today should have washed the rest of it off. Of the 17, there was 1 standing up straight and tall. All the others were bent over &/or covered in mud. But they did get watered good. The bush beans also had a goodly amount of dirt and mud on them, but they were not as limber, so they were still standing. I'm sure they will be fine when it dries out.

Larro

/ How does your garden grow? #15  
I got hit with some of the storms as well. I tried to get cages around the larger tomatoes to try to keep them upright. This batch seems to have survived ok, but I have some starts that were flattened.

I got hit with some of the storms as well. I tried to get cages around the larger tomatoes to try to keep them upright. This batch seems to have survived ok, but I have some starts that were flattened.

The view from your garden is much better than mine. I see a couple of cars go by while I'm doing my work. I bet in the summer you see a little of everything go by on the lake.

Larro

/ How does your garden grow? #17  
The view from your garden is much better than mine. I see a couple of cars go by while I'm doing my work. I bet in the summer you see a little of everything go by on the lake. Larro

One year, August I think, I was out of state visiting my son and his family. My wife was home and could not believe what she saw. A pontoon boat drifted right up to the pier, a couple of folks jumped off and helped themselves to tomatoes and peppers. She yelled at them but apparently they did not hear her. She wants to learn how to shoot a gun so she can scare the next "veggie lifters"

Was rather cool here in central Alabama today.

/ How does your garden grow? #18  
One year, August I think, I was out of state visiting my son and his family. My wife was home and could not believe what she saw. A pontoon boat drifted right up to the pier, a couple of folks jumped off and helped themselves to tomatoes and peppers. She yelled at them but apparently they did not hear her. She wants to learn how to shoot a gun so she can scare the next "veggie lifters"

Was rather cool here in central Alabama today.

One shot if by land, two shots if by sea.

006.jpg012.jpg023.jpg022.jpg

This morning's storms washed a lot of dirt on the pole beans. I got them above ground and knocked as much off as I could. My blacked eyed peas are coming up pretty good. I transplanted 17 beefsteak tomatoes today. I know you shouldn't plow when it's wet, but I eased along with my bike plow and cleaned the onions.

I didn't take any pictures as it was almost dark and I forgot the camera, but I planted three kinds of gourds in my gourd patch after supper. I did snake, dipper and apple gourds.

Larro

/ How does your garden grow? #20  
This morning's storms washed a lot of dirt on the pole beans. I got them above ground and knocked as much off as I could. My blacked eyed peas are coming up pretty good. I transplanted 17 beefsteak tomatoes today. I know you shouldn't plow when it's wet, but I eased along with my bike plow and cleaned the onions.
Larro

Plants looks very good. The dirt won't hurt anything but you have to tell me.... What is that bike plow and how does it work?