How does your garden grow?

/ How does your garden grow? #61  
So far the hay has been great, I have even used oat and wheat hay with no issues. Seeds may sprout in the fall, but that is more biomass tilled in later. All the weeds I deal with now, are the same I'd be dealing with anyway.

Straw is good, but the coastal is easier to work with, much finer grass. I have never "inherited" weeds from using hay, especially if its a high quality horse type hay. I usually will try to get the second cutting or later if I can (less chance of weeds), but it usually fetches a higher premium. I bought a 600# round last year for $30 that was 2 year old wheat straw, even better now on the bottom.
That's good to know. I have so many weeds anyhow that I don't know why I worry about a few more! ;)

/ How does your garden grow? #62  
I know carrots are slow, but last year I had to plant 2X and at least they finally came up. some years I will not get much if any. I use drip, every 6" but so far the rain has been taking care of the watering. I am in Western Washington about 1 hr. north of Portland Oregon.

/ How does your garden grow? #63  
I have planted a few things, but I struggle every year getting the carrots up, grow good when finally up. Plant them really shallow. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I plant mine a couple weeks later than recommended, seem to germinate and do better, but it's a crap shoot in our heat.

/ How does your garden grow? #64  
carrots are tough to get going. you can't let the seed dry out at all and you have to be careful not to wash the seed away. my last planting seems to be working ok, not perfect. i direct seeded into a clean bed and then laid a piece of agribon on the ground on top of the seed and fastened it down with sod staples. then the row cover keeps the ground from drying out quickly. it still takes a couple of weeks for the seeds to wake up.

/ How does your garden grow? #65  
Great looking garden there Western. Looks like your plants are enjoying the soil and hay very well. Is that black Preen cloth down some rows? I have used that on occasion with mixed results. Seems to always collect dirt, and slippery when wet. One year I was trying to do something in the garden, hit a slick spot, and zap I was broadside in a hurry. Tougher on the 60s body.

This stuff doesn't seem to slippery. I found it at TSC sold as str8 up landscape fabric, 4'x200' roll is $29 and a 3'x50' roll was like $7 and comes with a 15 year guarantee! I am using it for the vining (sp) plants, melons and such, more complete coverage, so will see how it does this year. The 3' I used for the Okra, figure black will keep the ground warm and okra loves the heat:thumbsup:

I use soaker hoses a lot. I have an artesian well that puts out about 5 to 10 psi which is perfect for soaker hoes with a long cycle time on the timer. I have it come on every few days during the night so there is plenty of time for the water to soak the roots.

I had not seen Spinosad before, that sounds like a great product. It looks like a good combination with soaker hoses not washing it off the plant.

That is a perfect well for the hose, I just use the well that supply's the house. Great thing about hay, it's fairly cheap, builds the soil and conserves water by stretching out the evaporation, we use far less water then we did years ago using a sprinkler type set-up. Hay is cheap mulch.

That Spinosad is great stuff, Google it and see what you think. 2 weeks ago, we where killing 30-50 green cuc beetles a day, from 6 rows of beans!. I sprayed one evening and the next day we only found 8, day after that only 2.

The thrips on the roses where gone in 24 hrs, same for the leaf hoppers and little grass hoppers. There are limits to how often you use it and it has to be reapplied after a rain or when in wears out. I sprayed everything in my garden, but the onions and used only a 3 gal mixture (took 45 minutes). Also did my fruit trees and the stuff so far has been majic...and it wont kill your kids!!:laughing: YUP, I'm a "fanboy" now

Last edited:
   / How does your garden grow? #66  
That is a perfect well for the hose, I just use the well that supply's the house. Great thing about hay, it's fairly cheap, builds the soil and conserves water by stretching out the evaporation, we use far less water then we did years ago using a sprinkler type set-up. Hay is cheap mulch.

That Spinosad is great stuff, Google it and see what you think. 2 weeks ago, we where killing 30-50 green cuc beetles a day, from 6 rows of beans!. I sprayed one evening and the next day we only found 8, day after that only 2.

I am late with my garden but I do plan to use Spinosad for sure this year. So far I just have onions, peas, cabbage, brussels sprouts and radishio growing. Shortly I should have kale, celery, fennel, kohlrabi, radish, corn, pumpkins and squash going. Aphid have been a problem.

One hobby I have is saving antique apple varieties. I grow root stock from seed and graft old time varieties onto them. I have a problem with caterpillars and aphid on the young trees. I see where Spinosad works on both so I am extra exited to potentially not have to deal with tanglefoot on the trunks (actually all over my hands and clothes).

/ How does your garden grow? #67  
Tom, I was about to make some cuc beetle traps using tanglefoot and glove oil, but decided to try the Spinosad since I had it. I read many threads where some said it would work on them and some claimed it did not, well it does. I have seen them eating the plants, so at the "re breeding" stage at least, it runs them off.

Most of the plants you listed are in or near the same family and really liked by the Harlequin stink bug and other stink bugs. We had went out one afternoon before I was to go out of town and found 100s of them on the short row of broccoli. I used my little propane torch again and it does the trick! Most sprays just roll of those plants unless you mix in some neem oil or cheaper garden insect soap. Since they pierce and suck the plant, Spinosad isn't as effective as it is on chewing bugs, but I can tell it helps keep the numbers low. Hit them with the Spinosad and it will get them though. torch is just fast and "funner":D

BTW, last year worms, grasshoppers and aphids did a number on my 2-3 year old S dwarf fruit trees, this year hardly a bite since applying the spinosad. Fingers crossed.

/ How does your garden grow? #68  
Tom, I was about to make some cuc beetle traps using tanglefoot and glove oil, but decided to try the Spinosad since I had it. I read many threads where some said it would work on them and some claimed it did not, well it does. I have seen them eating the plants, so at the "re breeding" stage at least, it runs them off.

BTW, last year worms, grasshoppers and aphids did a number on my 2-3 year old S dwarf fruit trees, this year hardly a bite since applying the spinosad. Fingers crossed.

Very good to hear. I go to a lot of work to grow a tree from seed, then graft scion, nurse the tree for two years only to have it get attacked by aphids and caterpillars before it is large enough to withstand it. I am growing full sized trees so they will be able to tolerate them as they get larger, but when there are only a few shoots it is tough. How often do you re-apply the Spinosad?

/ How does your garden grow? #69  
I have only had to spray once so far this year. About 2 weeks ago is when when have had the largest amount of caterpillars, not sure exactly what kind , but presume it's moths. They are hard on any vegetation around here. I sprayed, (should say "drenched") my trees top to bottom about 20 minutes until dark and will reapply next week after a projected rain storm blows through.

Last year I mixed it at 1/2 extra strength, bad idea, had leaf burn on many plants. This year stuck with the "rules" at 2 tbsp per gallon and just amazed. Late evening for me is best, it's cooler on the plants and less beneficial's like bees are out. They will die if they are sprayed directly, but after it drys, beneficial s are mostly safe.

BTW, My bottle says you can also "soak the ground" around the fruit trees to thwart crawling insects, and helps keep ants from tending the aphids:thumbsup: I haven't done it though, but did get allot of "drip" when spraying the whole tree.

Your going to love this stuff for your trees IMO, it is such a broad spectrum,natural fermented insecticide and bugs haven't built up an immunity to it like some of the other widely used insecticides.

If I put as much detail into my fruit trees as you do, they'd be sitting in my living room for my piece of mind!:laughing: