How does your garden grow?

/ How does your garden grow?
I set out 36 Crimson Sweet transplants last night. It is one of the best tasting watermelons I have found. I will plant a row direct seeded this weekend.

Also set 36 cantaloupe transplants and will do a row direct seeded this weekend.

When I truck farmed, the Crimson Sweets were always our best seller. With our sandy soil, they sure turned out good. I have some banana cantaloupe planted. The seeds are from what I saved last year, so I'm hoping they didn't get cross pollinated. If they turn out to be true, I have enough seeds saved for years to come.

Larro

/ How does your garden grow? #42  
I had about 25 get sunburned in the field last year. They were close to being ready to pick, had about 3 cloudy days and then boom sunny 95* the next day.

Is there anything you can do to prevent this other than covering them? Watermelons don't continue to ripen after being picked so I could not pick them early.

I had about 25 get sunburned in the field last year. They were close to being ready to pick, had about 3 cloudy days and then boom sunny 95* the next day.

Is there anything you can do to prevent this other than covering them? Watermelons don't continue to ripen after being picked so I could not pick them early.

When I was hoeing, I would leave a few weeds to shade the melons. {that is what I would tell Daddy anyway, when he complained about my work} It seemed to help some, but with the Florida sunshine, you were always going to get a few sunburned ones. When you have a bigger field, there is not much you can do about it.

Larro

/ How does your garden grow? #44  
Larry, you will like the stirrup hoe, quick little tool for short weeds.

/ How does your garden grow? #45  
We have had some "sho nuff" growing weather in central Alabama. Tomato plants and corn have doubled in size in a week

Lettuce and Blue Berry bush enjoy their location as well

We have had some "sho nuff" growing weather in central Alabama. Tomato plants and corn have doubled in size in a week

Lettuce and Blue Berry bush enjoy their location as well

You have everything looking good. My sister has some loaded blueberry bushes, but they turned their young peacocks out on the yard, and had to fence off all the fruit trees. It has been sunny and warm in NW Florida as well. It hit 91F today while I was working in the garden. As much as I was wanting the rain to leave a couple of weeks ago, it would be nice to have a little now.

Larro

/ How does your garden grow? #47  
I'm doing some raised beds this year. A first for me.

Just got them all situated last weekend. I have Tomatoes, Banana peppers, sweet peppers, Cukes, Cantaloupe, zucchini and strawberries.

I'm doing some raised beds this year. A first for me.

Just got them all situated last weekend. I have Tomatoes, Banana peppers, sweet peppers, Cukes, Cantaloupe, zucchini and strawberries.

Mamma is after me to find the old hog troughs so she can use them as raised beds. At 86 she isn't kicking as high as she used to, and is looking for an easier way to garden.

Larro

Larry, you will like the stirrup hoe, quick little tool for short weeds.

I used the new hoe to work the peas, banana cantaloupe and corn this morning. It worked like a dream in the cleaner, older part of the garden. But in the new part, the grass roots caused it to be a little harder to push and pull. Not that long ago, it was lawn, so it will take me a while to get all the roots out. I rake it every time I plow, and I'm still getting a big pile of grass roots. Not sure if this is what folks mean by grass roots gardening:eek:

Larro

/ How does your garden grow? #50  
:laughing: I pushed and pulled one day, now it's an all pull only rule:D Pr-tilled dirt sure does work easier and for several years after. In those conditions it is a handy, speedy tool, more like "raking" than hoeing.