How "fresh" is a new tractor?

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #21  
Re: How "fresh" is a new tractor?

As far as I know, the dates listed newer used machines is the "in service" date. Once a machine is placed in service, the clock on the warranty starts ticking down. Older used machines they list the build date simply to give buyers an idea of how old a machine may be. New is new and remains such until it is placed into service.

Dealers passing old inventory as new

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...289662-dealers-passing-old-inventory-new.html

Last edited:
   / How "fresh" is a new tractor? #22  

As far as I know, the dates listed newer used machines is the "in service" date. Once a machine is placed in service, the clock on the warranty starts ticking down. Older used machines they list the build date simply to give buyers an idea of how old a machine may be. New is new and remains such until it is placed into service.

That's right. Simple, people like the know how old a use machine is before they buy.

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #23  

When I bought my L3240 I searched for months looking for a tractor that had not been sitting on a lot for years. I found a few L3240s that had been sitting for 2-3 years in the weather that were new. How long does a battery last? In one case the tractor had rust on it in places. I passed until I located a recently built tractor. It pays to ask the question. My opinion.

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #24  

When I bought my L3240 I searched for months looking for a tractor that had not been sitting on a lot for years. I found a few L3240s that had been sitting for 2-3 years in the weather that were new. How long does a battery last? In one case the tractor had rust on it in places. I passed until I located a recently built tractor. It pays to ask the question. My opinion.

Absolutely, who wants to pay full price for something that has been sitting out in the weather for a year or two or three.

Some folks don't seem to care, but for me it was a large purchase, and worth being picky about.

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #25  

I bought an LS over the Kubota, but I had the dealer get my tractor from the assembly warehouse since they didn't have a hydro version on the lot. So I ended up with a tractor that was built in late 2012 in South Korea but didn't come out of the shipping crate for assembly until 5 days before I took delivery. Doesn't get much fresher than that. I feel good knowing it didn't sit out in the weather on the dealer lot for a year or more.

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #26  

My Kioti dealer is within a 90min drive of the warehouse/headquarters, and doesn't keep a lot of inventory. He had a sampling across the lines on his lot so you had something to look at, discuss, and try out before you placed an order. When he takes an order, he goes and picks them up one at a time, if need be. I'm sure the lot models are for sale, but he didn't try to push me into one of those, even though one was only a spec or two off what I wanted. Within 10 days of my order, he went and picked up my crate, assembled it with the accessories I ordered, got my loader bucket repainted, and delivered it.

I prefered that arrangement over buying one with hydro lines soaking up UV from the NC sun for the past two years.

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #27  

My Kioti dealer is within a 90min drive of the warehouse/headquarters, and doesn't keep a lot of inventory. He had a sampling across the lines on his lot so you had something to look at, discuss, and try out before you placed an order. When he takes an order, he goes and picks them up one at a time, if need be. I'm sure the lot models are for sale, but he didn't try to push me into one of those, even though one was only a spec or two off what I wanted. Within 10 days of my order, he went and picked up my crate, assembled it with the accessories I ordered, got my loader bucket repainted, and delivered it.

I prefered that arrangement over buying one with hydro lines soaking up UV from the NC sun for the past two years.

Mine was shipped from the warehouse in a crate as well.

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #28  

Unfortuately, I am very leary of a salesman, of any kind. That includes, real estate, cars, trucks, and tractors.
I also know there are good ones out there, that can be trusted. If I get the feeling I,m not getting the whole truth, I move on to someone else. I cannot believe, in this age of computers, that dealers cannot find out the year a tractor was assembled. As an example, I know for sure they can track down the year, month, day, hour and second soap was dropped in a box, and sealed. If I,m paying for a new tractor, I expect to be buying the latest, and hopefully, the greatest product out there. To me, that means the most current of the assembly line, not new old stock, that has been sitting in a warehouse or yard for the last couple of years.
If I want to settle for one of those, I expect deep discounts. Like another poster stated, they seem to be very interested in the year of the one your trading in. Funny how that works.
I think there should be a law, that forces manufacturers to put the year, month, and day the product was made, on the product, in such a way that it cannot be tampered with.
I,ve seen John Deere 455 lawn tractors that were missing the label, which would help you decipher the model year.
I passed on those deals as well.

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #30  

Unfortuately, I am very leary of a salesman, of any kind. That includes, real estate, cars, trucks, and tractors.
I also know there are good ones out there, that can be trusted. If I get the feeling I,m not getting the whole truth, I move on to someone else. I cannot believe, in this age of computers, that dealers cannot find out the year a tractor was assembled. As an example, I know for sure they can track down the year, month, day, hour and second soap was dropped in a box, and sealed. If I,m paying for a new tractor, I expect to be buying the latest, and hopefully, the greatest product out there. To me, that means the most current of the assembly line, not new old stock, that has been sitting in a warehouse or yard for the last couple of years.
If I want to settle for one of those, I expect deep discounts. Like another poster stated, they seem to be very interested in the year of the one your trading in. Funny how that works.
I think there should be a law, that forces manufacturers to put the year, month, and day the product was made, on the product, in such a way that it cannot be tampered with.
I,ve seen John Deere 455 lawn tractors that were missing the label, which would help you decipher the model year.
I passed on those deals as well.

Hi Guido and everybody,

In my world view, there are only 2 errors in Guido's post.

First, I think it is fortunate that we both have a healthy wariness of someone who's pay level is governed by how much they can talk you into buying. It is only common sense to be somewhat suspicious in these circumstances.

Secondly, I think the trustworthy salesmen are hidden wherever they keep the honest lawyers and politicians. Don't get me started....

Another poster asked what the difference is between a fully assembled tractor sitting on the lot, and another kept crated. To me it's obviously that the tractor on the lot has flat spots and dry rot on the tires, UV damage on ALL the visible non-steel parts, rust on the unpainted and hidden steel parts, and fading of the paint. In addition, the oil and coolant are degraded by the motor having been started and run for short intervals spread far apart, and there is probably water, algae, and maybe some varnish in the fuel tank.

Give us newly assembled tractors, or give us deep discounts!
Thomas

Last edited: