How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine?

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine?
woodlandfarms said:
I have to say with things so slow I was going to call PT and see if they would want to make some repair DVD's or something like that... Seeing as they do not have a repair force at all...

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but some things I see in your threads is
1.) an apparent lack of QC on the PT...
2.) some design deficiencies of the unit...and some of the accessories

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #12  
woodlandfarms said:
I have to say with things so slow I was going to call PT and see if they would want to make some repair DVD's or something like that... Seeing as they do not have a repair force at all...

Carl,

You must be dreaming.

You can not be serious about PT writing anything useful or making a CD/DVD.

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #13  
PaulChristenson said:
Correct me, if I'm wrong, but some things I see in your threads is
1.) an apparent lack of QC on the PT...
2.) some design deficiencies of the unit...and some of the accessories

Paul,

I'm not sure where you're going with this... but perhaps I can "head it off at the pass....."

PTs are unique in the market place. They're "hand-crafted" by Americans in rural Appalachia by a privately-owned company of probably less than 50 employees total (that's just guessing, but it is a SMALL town and a SMALL company). They're not mass produced on a "Detroit-type assembly line" that may have moved off-shore, or originated there ala Mahindra, Kubota, Kioti, Yanmar, etc. If ANY robotics are involved, they are likely involved in the production of commercial components (wheel motors, pumps, valves, hoses, etc) from one of the companies they purchase their components from...

What PT is selling is steel -- much of it flat stock -- that has been cut and assembled by hand, in jigs at least in some cases. They MAY (don't know) have some CNC-controlled lathes, mills or plasma cutters, but that is LIKELY as automated as they get. All the more-complex parts (motors, pumps, valves, etc.) are after-market components.

What is unique about them is their initial design, and how they are marketed and supported. (a) In addition to the base design of an articulating, oscillating tool-carrier, for example, they have hydraulically-actuated quick attaches [QA] while the "big boys" still use manual levers and pins if they have ANY type of QA at all. (b) When you call for support or parts, your feedback as an owner/user is one person away from the design engineers and the "assembly line workers" and your needed parts are shipped overnight with an accompanying hand-written invoice and ticket...

They're also designed and sold at a somewhat unique quality-level and price-point. (They are an intentional "compromise" in both design concept and in execution.) They are NOT competing head-to-head with machines targeted at commercial users, farmers, or "box-store" consumers -- think "rental store" quality/price and level of construction ... somewhere below commercial-user (ala Bobcat, JD, NH, etc.) but higher than mass-produced lawn/garden tractors (Murray, MTD, etc.). What they deliver is functionality and versatility that is about 1/2 the cost of similar machines (if they existed) that are produced by the "big boys."

For examples of the initial design concept, the PT-425, at roughly $11,000 base price (tractor + bucket) delivers a 25-HP gas machine with an 800-lb FEL with that hydraulically-activated QA that allows you to quickly attach mower decks (finish or rough-cut) in addition to construction-type implements, and will operate on 20-degree slopes and literally run circles (because of its articulation/oscillation) around either a CUT/SCUT or skidsteer. That's more lift capacity than either SCUTs or garden tractors at that price point -- made from steel thickness comparable to the SCUTs and much heavier-duty than the garden tractors that are priced at this point. Meanwhile, they provide "ride-on" functionality at a price-point similar to the "stand-on" Kangas, Dingos, etc. mini-skidsteers that have far less capacity for any of the corresponding PT implements, whether that be bucket size, lift capacity, trenching width, etc.

Similarly, at roughly $17,500 base price (tractor + bucket, not considering factory sales or discounts) you get a 30 HP diesel machine with 1200-lb FEL that operates safely on 30-degree slopes. That price is very competitive with mass-produced CUTs/SCUTs with that capacity and the gauge of steel used is comparable. Meanwhile, they provide versatily and maneuverability in addition to slope-capability that the SCUT/CUT simply cannot match. Corresponding skidsteers, with heavier construction (and the negatives of weight, lawn destruction, etc) are not as maneuvererable and would likely cost about twice that, for either the machine or any given attachment, but would have heavier-duty construction.

Now let's look at execution (i.e. manufacturing and support). My personal example is an older (new in Dec 2000) PT-425. I've encountered what I consider to be two design or manufacturing flaws/weaknesses. The first is the "roll-over" bar, shaft and linkage that dumps the bucket. While others like Mossroad (who has an identical machine as far as I can tell) have had no problems with theirs (at least to date), mine has broken and been replaced -- likely because of my abuse using the mini-hoe while running loaded tires all around (NOT recommended by the factory), meaning the machine won't "pucker" as readily, tranferring more force to these components than they were originally designed for... The cost of my replacement parts was roughly $250, plus shipping, and they arrived within 48 hours, and I paid $40 to get them welded up after I replaced them. (Compare that to main structural component part prices for a CUT/SCUT or piece of commercial equipment.) Meanwhile, based on feedback from owners/users, PT has since begun making the rollover bar out of heavier steel, solving the problem. The other "design weakness" I've encountered is with the tubeless tires on the attachments, and PT now offers (not sure if they're standard or an extra-cost option) solid-rubber tires that will take the abuse of the down-pressure from the FEL combined with rough use, solving that problem.

I think most PT owners are about as unique as the machines themselves -- we will "live with" some flaws in design or execution, helping the factory correct those problems in later production runs, in order to get the functionality, maneuverability, and versatility we enjoy, at a price point that no one else can compete with...

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I don't want anyone "bashing" these machines because they may not have the initial production quality of the the perceived competition. IMO, the only true competitors are a few rare European-made machines such as the Avant (sold as a Gehl in the US), the Multi-one, etc., and they also cost around 50% more, if not even greater... meanwhile, parts availablity and support for them might not be even as good as the PTs, much less superior...

Last edited:
   / How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #14  
BTW, other PT-owners, if you feel that I've misrepresented either you or our "beloved" machines, please chime in and provide your perspective in addition to my long-winded one...

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #15  
J_J said:
Carl,

You must be dreaming.

You can not be serious about PT writing anything useful or making a CD/DVD.
I don't think it has anything to do with being useful or not, but they would have to use a ....computer! :rolleyes:

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #16  
I have owned used JD, Allis Chalmers, and two Ford 4WD tractors. I think a water pump replacement is the only non-routine maintenance repair i ever did. They were extremely reliable machines but i spent years looking for good buys every time i bought them .

My PT had gone through **** before i bought it - same owner as Carl's. And i have had a bunch of small problems (leaks at hose fittings, needing to replace or clean some electrical connections, and the recent PTO solenoid valve needing to be unstuck) and the problem of the bad alternator that tested fine. I also believe i have a piece of crud in the valve for the FEL. Will need to start replacing my hoses at some point.

So more problems than with my other tractors but so far nothing major besides the alternator which was only 5 - 6 years old. But looking back, i also have more hours on my PT in the last 15 months than in 20 combined years of my other tractors just because it is so much more suitable for my needs. That fact is even more amazing when i take into account my other tractors used to bush hog a 12 acre field that i no longer own.

Now if i add in hours for mods, the "down time" increases but it is fun having a tractor one can fine tune and try things out on.

Ken

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #17  
cqaigy2 said:
I don't think it has anything to do with being useful or not, but they would have to use a ....computer! :rolleyes:

Cqaigy, I happen to know for a fact they have a computer and know how to use it! In the spring and fall, when the shop is hot but it is cool outside, they use it to prop the door open to let the cool air in.

:)

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #18  
I am just over 200 hours on my 1430 and have spent the normal time for lube and oil as would be spent with any machine. In addition I have replaced one wheel motor (under warranty) and spent about two hours removing and reinstalling.

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #19  
ksimolo said:
when the shop is hot but it is cool outside, they use it to prop the door open to let the cool air in.

:)
Hi-Tech door stop.
:D almost fell out of the chair.

Oh ya. 250 hrs. 4 hours replacing tram pump under warranty. It seal failed after 25 hrs. Only routine maint there after.

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #20  
I have 525 hard hrs. on my 425 with maybe 5 hrs. on repairs. I admit I have some problems that will have to be dealt with in the near future but I keep putting off the repairs because I can't imagine being without the machine. The PT's can be frustrating at times and have some design deficiencies but the 425 has been the handiest piece of equipment I have ever used.

To put things in perspective: I recently bought a new Kubota L39 TLB to help out my little PT and maybe keep from beating it to death; the first time I went to use the hoe on the L39 I had to use a wood block and mallet to get the boom lock to release; 5 mins. with a grinder and problem solved. QC problems even happen on machines known for their consistent quality and we all know that's not something PT can be accused of. :)