How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor?

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #11  
BX-

I really do not think you are oversizing for your needs based on your concerns. The 2320 is a solid tractor and would be the natural progression up from your BX sizewise. It is though small enough to serve as a garden tractor once your heavier work is done. The other thing one must consider is the investment in your machine. You have upgraded to a machine which offers you a full cat one hitch, and better loader capacity but would still be easy on the lawn. The other thing is resale. Pure garden tractors move slowly, but a nice little compact like a 2320 will likely always be popular. My neighbor has been after me for a year to find him a good local 2000 series for his barn cleaning use. Locally I have only found one and he is currently deciding on it. You can bet the seller will get a premium on that tractor. So, in essence it makes sense to go with the 2320 v. attempting to go with a smaller machine for later. This way you have more options.

John M

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor?
John,

Thanks for the well-reasoned reassurance. Looking forward to trying it out at my place tomorrow. Just in time for the first real snow storm of the season.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #13  
Cool, Welcome to the GREEN side:D

You and TCowner should write an article on why NOT to use the type of machine you presently have for a nickname:p

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #14  
I think that some have missed a very important consideration, which I am now using while considering an upgrade to a 3320. In the years to come, when those projects are done, I'm gonna enjoy downsizing again.I will have something with a higher trade-in value to wheel and deal with. Fun going both ways!

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #15  
Some of you guys seemed to have had the "right" tractor but traded after upgrading your property. So you upgraded tractors out of necessity.

I personally do not like trading tractors. If I want to buy another tractor I just make more room in the barn as I never have enough tractors in the spring and summer.:(

Right now I am looking to add a spraying tractor for use in the vineyard and orchard. The $35-$40k price tag is what is slowing me down (well, that and the lack of income until I am able to resume working). Since this is the Deere forum I will tell you guys my local Deere dealer wants around $45k for the same setup as I am looking at thru CNH dealers.

So guys, stop upgrading and just add to your garage then you have the perfect size tractor when you need it:D

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #16  
I could kick myself for trading my 1920 in on my 7610s.. I should have just bought the 7610s outright and had a bigger loan and kept that good ole 1920.

Soundguy

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #17  
We just bought a Mahindra 6025, this is after a NH 1715 lasting 10 years and always being undersized. I was not involved in the purchase of the 1715, and have always lived by rule of buy the biggest you ever think you will need. We almost got a 7520 but decided that the 7520 was overkill by too far of a margin. I wanted a JD or a NH for this tractor but the price was just too much of a differance to overcome.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #18  
Most of us "hobby" users probably experience this phenomenon.

General progression:

push mower --> riding lawn tractor --> garden tractor --> Scut --> Cut

Then either up or down again.

I am at the SCUT phase and wondering also if I "should" have went with the 2320/2520. The 2305 will do all of my jobs, but the ground clearance and hydro fan are becoming annoying. :eek: But, I also have many "tight" areas on my wooded three acres that the 2305 can barely access.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #19  
I haven't upgraded yet. It is tempting though to move up to a utility class machine. I really can't justify it yet being on 20 (75% wooded) acres, however. For now I reckon I'll stick with the 3520 and be rather happy.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #20  
Robert,

You have a grand idea. The only problem is that if I buy more tractors I cannot AFFORD to build a larger garage. My wife is already irritated that her car must sit outside so all my JD toys can be inside.

John M