How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor?

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #32  
I drove tractors when we had a farm when I was about 8 to 14 when we moved to town. Knew none of those big tractors was what I wanted.

Had enough land (2.2 Acres and A HILL) in Baton Rouge, I guess, for a tractor but stayed with a garden cart and being able to run the pickup into the back with loads of stuff.

Still have the garden cart but almost gave it away when I bought my Gravely with brush hog, cart, rotary plow, shredder, snow plow and snow blower. That Gravely was a LOT of work to use, a potential man eater. Actually, it was unusable on my hilly ground here until I put brakes and dual tires on it. Didn't have the traction to come up the back hill with 2 tires on the ground and can't imagine why they figured you could use it on hilly ground without brakes for holding it on the hill.

Upgraded considerably with my 4010, brush hog, carryall, soil ripper, back blade, FEL, chipper/shredder. It's really all I need, but the 2320 has improved it somewhat with better access with the new hood design and the 3ph position control. Maybe by the time I want to replace the 4010, there'll be an 1820 or even a 1620. Think 23 hp is way more than I need, and I don't like to feed beasts that I don't need.

Ralph

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #33  
LBrown59 said:
I replaced these 4 tractors
1*MTD
2*CC gt2554
3*1966 Bolens 850
4*1967 Bolens 850 With 2 Kubota BX1500s.

PICTURES YET???????

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #34  
RalphVa said:
Maybe by the time I want to replace the 4010, there'll be an 1820 or even a 1620. **********
Ralph
The Kubota BX1500 and 1800 tractors are ya might say the 1820s and 1620s of the JDs.
== L B ==

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #35  
No, my idea of an 1820 or 1620 would be just an 18 hp or 16 hp engine in a 2320 body. This is what my 4010 is, an 18.5 hp engine in a 4110 body. The 2320 is like a 4110 with a 4210 engine. The 2320 is basically the same as a 4010 or 4110 but with position control and improved engine hood arrangement, but, like I say, with a 4210 engine upgraded for emissions.

Ralph

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #36  
Hi

I have had a few different tractors. Bought an Agco Allis 1614H ( 14Hp) lawn tractor in 2000. It easily handled my 4 lawns I had to cut. First year I started cutting grass. Then in 2002, lawn business expanded so I traded my 1614H in in Oct 2002 for an Agco Allis 1920H Garden Tractor with 48inch deck.( I still have her to this day, although has a lot of hrs on her now). Jan of 03, bought an Agco Allis 512H lawn tractor for smaller properties as I stupidly should have just kept the 1614 & bought the 1920 out right. Engine blew up in the 512H, bought a junk Cub Cadet for its engine to repower the 512H.( Trans had blown in the Cub before I got it). Repowered the 512H and sold it. Oct 03, bought a 1918 Ultima, in rough shape. Ran it in 04, and part of 05 when the engine blew. It's sitting in a snow bank out back now and probably will be scraped. July 05, bought back my Agco Allis 1614H which the dealer still had. It replaced the 512H.

2006: No purchaces, just ran the 1614H & 1920H. At the end of 06, was looking at going to an AWS unit.

In March 07, Bought a 1997 John Deere 425 with AWS & 60 inch deck. The AWS was great option and the deck worked great in thin grass, but some of my customers did not want their grass cut every week, so by two weeks their grass was fairly long and while the 425 handled it alright, it lacked power for the 60" deck. It was hard on fuel too, so in July 07, came across a 1995 John Deere 455AWS with Yanmar Diesel at the local Deere Dealer with 60 inch deck. It had only 823hrs on her, so I traded the 425 in for the 455 and never looked back. The 455 is my ideal tractor and won't be going anywhere.

My Current Line Up:

1995 John Deere 455 AWS with 60 inch deck & 22hp Yanmar Diesel
1995 Agco Allis 1614H with 38 inch deck
1996 Agco Allis 1920H with 48inch deck, easy vac collection system, 48 inch 2 stage snow blower, Soft Side Cab, & 48 inch blade.

Take Care Jason B

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #37  
i see that alot of people here like to upgrade their tractors.an thats well an good if you can afford to.but ive found its best to get the tractor that you need from the beginning.an under powered tractor will cost an slow you down in the long run.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #38  
bigbull338 said:
i see that alot of people here like to upgrade their tractors.an thats well an good if you can afford to.but ive found its best to get the tractor that you need from the beginning.an under powered tractor will cost an slow you down in the long run.

The problem is a lot of us folks really don't know what we need in the beginning. If you can get it right the first time, you really are a winner.:)

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #39  
bxowner said:
I asked this question over at the Kubota thread several months ago. The response was pretty consistent - several times before landing the 'right' machine. Well, I guess I fit that category now as well, as I've just ordered a 2320.

I've spend the last few months debating the upgrade, as I bought a new house lot that's totally undeveloped. My Kubota BX1500 simply couldn't do the work I now needed (grading 1.5 acres of topsoil and chipping lots of brush). I was very happy with Kubota and the dealer, so I put all of my attention into the B7610. Drove it and loved the performance. The size seemed a bit more than what I needed in the long run, but there's no way I'd go back the BX size, even with the 23 hp engine. Just too little ground clearance. The price was expensive, but that's the cost of these machines. The quote for a B7610 with folding ROPS, larger 352 FEL and loaded tires came out to $14,212. List was nearly $16k. A very good deal from everything I read here and elsewhere on the internet.

But, just to be sure, I went to the Deere dealer to check out the ~$12k 2305 tractor. A bit better ground clearance, but was very concerned about the location of the hydraulics. So I sat on the 2320. Drove it. Immediately saw all of the benefits over the Kubota. Beyond the obvious 'position control' (was better than Kubota's 1/4 inching valve for the grading I'll need to do), virtually everything about the tractor was an 'upgrade' over the Kubota. Thicker steel fenders. Way easier FEL disconnecting system (I drover one with the 200cx). Far more comfortable seat. Better FEL control lever location. Split brakes on the left side, so I can still operate the hydro. A hood that lifts both the top and sides with the flip of a lever... So, naturally, I was afraid to ask the price (because, as they say, 'if you have to ask...'). Well, tractor, 200cx loader and loaded tires was quoted at $14,400. All those upgrades for $188?! It's to be delivered tomorrow... attachments to follow in the spring after the piggy bank is replenished a bit.
Well I was this close " " to buying a B7610. I really liked the 7610 a lot from the driving around the parking lot of the local Kubota dealer (at this point I hadn't even sat on a Deere yet. I had only been on a blue machine the day before). I sat down with the Jim the salesguy and starting talking prices. He showed me the price he wanted to sell it for, and I showed him the price I told him I'd buy it for (few hundred less.. maybe 6 hundred, I think). He said he couldn't do it, I said "OK..I'll keep shopping" and I stod up and walkd out.. He's prolly thinking.. young punk, more money than sense.... just tire kickin'...he aint serious, figuring I'd go pick up the wife and come back and take hime up on his price. Instead I hop in the truck and drive straight to the local JD dealer down the highway.

Well i got to the JD dealer and I instantly fell in love with the 2305.. the quick detach loader, the mower.. the engine.. the works! I told my JD salesguy my story about the Kubota dealer earlier that day and so he gives me a real good price on the 2305. I decided to go back outside to try around the parking lot one last time before I make my decision. There I was, just finished trolling through the ditch in front of the dealership in 4-low, coming up to my salesguy who was standing in front of the shop waiting for me. All of a sudden I feel my phone buzzin in my pocket. "Hello?" .... "Yes.. Gord, it's me Jim from the Kubota dealer, wondering if you're gonna come back to work out a deal on this here 7610.. we could probably work something out.. come on over..." "Jim.. there's something I need you to hear" I said, and I held the phone out in front of me and I cranked the throttle... maybe 15---20 seconds pass. I'm just a smilin' and my JD dealer's looking at me kinda funny trying to figure out what the **** I was doin'. I turn the ignition off of the 2305 and said "Jim.. you here that?" "Yeah" he says anxiously. "Well, that's the sound of my new tractor Jim. I'm sorry but you had your chance". I hang up the phone, turn to my JD dealer, smile and say "write it up!!"

I bought the 2305 that day, and 2 and a half years later went back and up graded to the 2520 and kept my existing loader, box blade and blower to help keep the price down. I learned that bigger is necessarily better... and faster, well that's nice too.

But I think back now to that first day and I'm convinced that if the 2320 had been around then when I showed up at the JD to buy the 2305, I'd prolly woulda gone for it instead, and if I'd done that, I'd probably be really happy with it to this day because of its size and other features over the 2305. So to answer your question ....Yes. The tricky thing is finding the right machine at the right time. I can honestly say the 2520 is perfect for my needs. Would the 2320 have been perfect if it was around when I first bought, and would I likely still have it today? Probably. Would the 7610 have been the 'right' tractor? I guess I'll never know.

Will the 2520 be the perfect machine in 2 years? I just don't know. One thing I can tell you is I do need a hoe.. and so I'll need to be extra good next year to see if Santa's as nice to me as she has been to Runner!

One other thing I can tell you, you'll have one helluva fun time putting your new 2320 to the test to help you decide if it's the 'right' tractor for you.

GN

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #40  
Gord , everybody needs a Hoe........:D

Chris.....:)