How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor?

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #21  
Since this forum is all about learning from others mistakes, I doubt there will be many readers who will admit to this, assuming that the upgrade applies to the same acreage/task etc. as the original tractor. Those that do have the courage to admit thier mistakes should be commended for the service they provide the rest of us as these are the most valuable posts I read here. We should make it clear that "Upgrade" because an old machine wore out or more land was aquired, etc is not what we are talking about. The most common mistakes seem to be: 1.)"bought too small" 2.)"bought too big" 3.)"need 4wd"
4.)"need cab" 5.) "bought a lemon".

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #22  
When I sold the 650 that was co-owned with my father, I convinced myself I could get the 2520 and use it to do my side mowing jobs plus my 3 acres. I also traded in my x475 for a gator. The 2520 did fine mowing, but having to remove and swap everything weekly got old. I finally moved up to the tractor I originally wanted and sold the gator and got a x495. Well I originally wanted the 3120, but learned on here to skip it and go with the 3320. It would have cost less to do this first, instead of settling for smaller. JC

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #23  
The very first new tractor I ever bought ended up being the best I've owned, my favorite, the best suited for my needs, the most reliable, the most economic to operate, and it's still here 36 years later.

UNFORTUNATELY, I've gone through about 75 more along the way trying to go one better ;)

Still searching too.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #24  
jcmseven said:
BX-

I am one of the infamous ones on the JD forum who has traded often. I receive good natured ribbing at times for my neglecting to keep any tractor beyond a year. I have been where you currently are. I started with an X595 tractor, which was great when I had a large yard, then I moved. I then had more property but very little of it was grassed. I bought a small FEL for the JD and found it inadequate for my needs. My friend who is a JD dealer sold me on going bigger, to a 4310, which was great but underpowered for its size and my hilly terrain. I then went with a 3720 which I liked a lot, but had an opportunity to trade for a 4520 which I did. It was a great tractor, but so large I could not fit about half the places I wanted to work, so I sold it and bought my second 3720, which I currently own. I have 120 hours on it, which is the highest hour count of any tractor mentioned. I love it, but have been looking at a smaller machine recently, as even my 3720 is too big for some of my work. I probably will keep what I have because I like it, but can say personally that I have owned at least five tractors of late before I hit the right one, and I am still not 100% convinced I have it right yet. The other thing of course is that our personal needs change. For me, had I not moved I probably would still be mowing and such with my 595, but with changing circumstance, I needed something different. Welcome my friend to the slippery slope.

John M

I keep thinking of going to trade in my 4310 on a Cabbed' 3xxx series, but can't get up enough courage to run another tractor by the wife at this point, plus i don't want to spend much money, so I will probably wait until I see a deal similar to the one I got for my 4310. Oh well, I still can live through all the 3xxx people's stories!:)

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #25  
I started out with a STX38, moved and went to a GT225, then traded up to a 4100, then moved, and traded up to a 4310. I really like the 4310, but I have always considered gettign a cab. Aftermarket is now out of the question due to the noise and fume factor I have noticed mentioned in posts to this site. So my hope is to find a good deal on trading my 4310 up to a cabb'ed 3xxx or if they make a 2520 with a cab and AC, down into one of those. Something for those cold winter mornings!:eek:

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #26  
wolc123 said:
Since this forum is all about learning from others mistakes, I doubt there will be many readers who will admit to this, assuming that the upgrade applies to the same acreage/task etc. as the original tractor. Those that do have the courage to admit thier mistakes should be commended for the service they provide the rest of us as these are the most valuable posts I read here. We should make it clear that "Upgrade" because an old machine wore out or more land was aquired, etc is not what we are talking about. The most common mistakes seem to be: 1.)"bought too small" 2.)"bought too big" 3.)"need 4wd"
seems that everyplace I have moved, my neighbors initially said "You bought too big", then later when they saw that I would finish my mowing or snow plowing in a lot less time than they would they started being converts! Especioally the Snow plowing they really appreciated me plowing them out in one location during heavy snows. I know in that location they miss me big time.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #27  
Farmwithjunk said:
The very first new tractor I ever bought ended up being the best I've owned, my favorite, the best suited for my needs, the most reliable, the most economic to operate, and it's still here 36 years later.

UNFORTUNATELY, I've gone through about 75 more along the way trying to go one better ;)

Still searching too.

That is too much, very funny:D I know what you mean though.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #28  
I am with the poster who started with a wheelbarrow. I started in 1985 and landscaped two places with it, a shovel, a 16 foot travel, and grubbing hoe.
Finally upgraded to a 5203 in 2005. Guess that's why I bought another tractor--2320--as a reward for 20 years of pushing that (#&*$ wheelbarrow. Could barely afford the wheelbarrow in '85.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #29  
wolc123 said:
The most common mistakes seem to be: 1.)"bought too small" 2.)"bought too big" 3.)"need 4wd"

Right on. And let's not forget 6.) Dang, that (bigger, smaller, newer, older) model looks mighty handsome. Why didn't I consider that before I bought this thing?

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #30  
I still have my first tractor a 4310. It is a great tractor for me. Yet I need to dig and have many many projects stacked up. Have 60acres all woods, with a 2-3 acre lake with 3 streams. I rented the hoe that would go on it and it's not enough. Thinking about the 110 TLB, but it's a huge price jump. Neighbor says keep the 4310 and split a mid-size excavator with him. Might be the way to go.