How much tractor do I need?

/ How much tractor do I need? #41  
If he advised a backhoe and you are a neophyte tractor buyer, with 1 under your belt, he shouldn't have. Backhoes are EXPENSIVE. And for on 5 acres it's definitely overkill.

First tractor, or tenth doesn't have any bearing on whether someone might need/want a backhoe. The same can be said of acreage...lots of people have around the same size property, a similar tractor, and a backhoe, and are very happy with the setup. My folks have around 5 acres, and my father bought a Terramite (his first machine) and has used the heck out of the hoe, which he swears is the most useful part of the machine....depends on your intended uses, not your experience level, or lot size.

/ How much tractor do I need?
I liked the way everything was layed out. I'm not really used to anything, so something new shouldn't be hard to get used to.
Getting comfy paying for a new tractor? :eek:
Now THAT will take some getting used to. :D

The man with the Bobcat mounted forestry tools came by. Super nice fella. Sez he'll work all I want for $100/hr. and shred it all into mulch. At that rate I'm somewhat unconcerned if this rig'll uproot the little trees. I'll get a small bush hog to clean up the upshoots from what's left. And just worry with diggin up what's in the way of planting. What's not to like? d:^) Schneeks.

/ How much tractor do I need? #43  
$100 per hour sounds good. I have a field to clean up of about 1 acre across a small creek so we can add parking at church. I would pay that out of my pocket to save me from having to do it with the backhoe. It was in row crop 30 years ago.

I thought it sounded very fair. And he can go thru this mess pretty fast. We got to yakkin a bit and he had some pretty interesting horror stories about crap he's run into buried in the leaves-n-such. Like finding a bicycle on a property out on Oak Island that trashed $750 worth of blades on a $300 job. :eek: I'll be putting in some serious effort to try and get these woods cleared of such things prior to. I know I've ran into a pile of junk with my bladed weedeater. Old fence, solidified bags of concrete, piles of shingles, guy wires from the power company.
Looks like we're set to pull the trigger on the Mahindra this week. I'm jazzed. d:^) Schneeks..

/ How much tractor do I need? #45  
I could use some one to mulch an acre but with the back hoe I have found a 30's era steel spoke car rim, mostly buried coon foot harrow that did not help the DR mower that found it first and wads of barbed and American fence. It is just across a small ditch next to our church. Dozing with the FEL set on its cutting edge and the backhoe in the fence rows hopefully I will find stuff that could get a tire.

Which transmission are you going with in your new Mahindra?

Hydro. My old Kubota B was hydro and I liked it. Still made me nervous to push it, tho'. The current L305 is straight drive. Kindofa pain, but no biggie if I'm not inna hurry. Tried the shuttle shift, and I might be a l'il ignorant about'em, but it seemed to me that if I had ta do all that I bout may as well go straight drive. :confused3: d:^) Schneeks..

/ How much tractor do I need? #47  
Tried the shuttle shift, and I might be a l'il ignorant about'em, but it seemed to me that if I had ta do all that I bout may as well go straight drive. :confused3: d:^) Schneeks..
We differ on this one.
My last tractor was straight drive gear. My current tractor is the synchronized shuttle.
I like the shuttle much, much better

We differ on this one.
My last tractor was straight drive gear. My current tractor is the synchronized shuttle.
I like the shuttle much, much better
I'm sure if you're used to it it's a good system. 'Specially compared to straight drive and I've heard nothing but good about them. Coulda just been my ignorance of it or mebbe the sales guy wasn't 'splainin it right. But it seemed mighty close to straight drive with a skosh less clutching.
Do you like it enough that if you were buying new you'd stay with it? d:^) Schneeks..

/ How much tractor do I need? #49  
If I were buying new today it would be either a synchronized shuttle, powershift/glideshift or hydrostat.
Not sure which.
It wouldn't be a straight gear I do know that.

/ How much tractor do I need? #50  
We have them all and the hydraulic shuttle is easier than the synchronized shuttle and the HST easier than them all. My brother regularly uses several old crash boxes, straight geared units and they get the job done, but we've owned them for years and sure won't buy another.