How much trailer weight can my tractor tow?

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #62  
Did we just experience our first AI member response?
You could be right, it does read a little different than what the average joe wrights here. But maybe steve is an english teacher who has very good typing skills and likes tractors??

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #63  
Did we just experience our first AI member response?

The “myers” link is entertaining…….I guess there’s a variety of ways to boost statistics on forums.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #64  
Com-on, hook that trailer up and get going! That size tractor won't have any problem pulling it.

Here's mine getting it done!

tractor-Case-04-99-450-crawler.jpg

SR

Last edited:
   / How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #66  
I've got a New Holland PowerStar 75. It's about 8,000 lbs counting the FEL. It's got 16.9R30s on the back. I'm able to add about 2,000 lbs with the front forks carrying a 275 gallon IBC tote for water weight and balance.

My question is, how heavy of a trailer can I tow using either the 3PH (~3,500 lbs capacity) or the draw bar itself. I'm not able to find anything concerning this rating online.

For planting and irrigating purposes, I'd really like to haul a trailer with dual 7,000 lb axles. I might even be able to carry more than one implement to the farm at a time. But I've never tried to pull a trailer with the tractor so I don't really know what I'm doing. Any help appreciated.

Note that I am not trying to tow the tractor ON the trailer, which I have no need for. Rather, I am hoping to tow the trailer WITH the tractor.
Within the owners manual, you can find the recommended towing capacity based on the weight of the machine. This is typically the maximum weight to look for without any additional implements or modifications added to the tractor.
If you are unable to find this metric, a good rule of thumb is that the towing capacity is typically 50% of the machine’s weight.
The last thing to consider is the machine itself, mainly the following things:
  • The tires on the tractor (i.e. ag tires, turf tires, industrial)
  • 4-Wheel Drive or 2-Wheel Drive
  • Draw Bar Height (Below rear axle or extended for adjustment)
  • Rear weight of the tractor (Added wheel weights or fluid within tires for greater traction)
  • Front weight of the tractor (Front-End Loader attached and/or additional weight in the bucket)

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #67  
Considering that the speed is slow, brakes are not necessary.
Tell that to someone's lawyer if you ever injure them.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #68  
I have a power star 4.75. Pretty sure it says 8 tons on the drawbar on a number plate somewhere close.

I have used a 3pt adapter to move trailers all around

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #69  
The best answer I can give you is it depends. The tow bar is the best and most preferred way to pull a trailer. A 3 point can rise up uncontrolled. The biggest factor you need to look at is the tongue weight. And like the person earlier said terrain matters not to mention does the trailer have brakes (most when pulled with smaller tractors don't) I think this is why manufactures of tractors don't give a weight rating on the trailer size. Too many factors.

Hi. You wrote "A 3 point can rise up uncontrolled." How does that happen? I'm sort of new at using a tractor.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #70  
We live on a main road in Central NY, where the terrain can be very hilly. I don't have occasion to do it myself, but we can watch all day long as other farmers pull large implements and loaded wagons with tractors by the house. I doubt that these implements are equipped with brakes of any kind. I also see pickups go by with loaded hay and forage wagons behind them, again without additional brakes that I can see.
Accidents have happened, but in my 74 years, all the ones I've heard about were caused by impatient drivers going around the farm implement/wagon when it wasn't safe to do so.
BTW, the owner's manual for the only 4WD tractor we own, a JD 4600, specifically advises against using the 4WD on the highway.