How Russians pull car from lake.

/ How Russians pull car from lake. #11  
There's a doccumentary that shows a driver using a wheel winch. I think it's of an early 20th century cross country miletary trip that included future president Eisenhower. The wheel winch is my favorite part of the doccumentary.

Last edited:
   / How Russians pull car from lake. #12  
Just like weighing anchor. Somebody's going to have a cold wet butt on the way home.

/ How Russians pull car from lake. #13  
I mean Russians drive on the right hand side of the road like Americans do, therefore the steering wheel should be on the left hand side in front if the driver as he sits in the car. The steering wheel in that vehicle appears to be on the right, English style.

I bet it was a used suv imported from Japan. I once watched a video on the history channel about Bolivia. It was cheaper to import right hand drive used trucks from japan and convert them to left hand drive than it wast to buy left hand drive vehicles from the get go. I think it was about the death road through the mountains?

/ How Russians pull car from lake. #14  
Concerning the RH drive in Russia.

Normally yes, legally Russians drive LH drive vehicles. But the huge number of citizens of Far East territory (Siberia) are importing second hand cars from Japan, the nearest place they can obtain lots of cheap and high quality cars from. In case if we see a vehicle with RH side steering wheel there, it means a car is imported from Japan.
In most cases, to drive these cars safely, the owners are modifying their rear view systems into all-around view systems, while adding additional mirrors or cameras on the front LH side fenders or on the top of LH mirrors or wherever, so the visibility would be perfect including FRONT VIEW from the left side of a car. Otherwise you'd be not able to out-drive a big truck, which completely closes visibility for you. In the above video on the ice of Baikal lake we can also see something additionally fitted on the LH side fender, but difficult to recognize what exactly it is.

Funny thing was, that Russia's government has tried to forbid the law allowing RH drive vehicles to be driven, so to protect their local car manufacturers. But the issue was, that the citizens threatened to organize a revolution. And the government gave up.

/ How Russians pull car from lake. #15  
Clever, good old ingenuity rather than how we would do it. I noticed no one seems to be too worried about the ice cracking and falling in.
The water appears to be only as deep as the top of the car.

/ How Russians pull car from lake. #16  
Haveissues and Saracenas,
Thank you both for clearing that up. I my only guess was, that it might be a mail delivery vehicle.

/ How Russians pull car from lake. #17  
That should buff right out.

/ How Russians pull car from lake. #18  
it might be a mail delivery vehicle.
I know, what you mean. About 20 years ago the special second hand mail cars, similar to Jeep but with hard top and sliding doors appeared for sale in the local market. These were imported from the U.S. Don't know where have they disappeared, but I don't see them in the streets here. You in the U.S. also have (or had) special mail vans manufactured probably by International Corporation. Both are equipped with the RH drive steering wheels.
But, neither in Europe nor in Russia mail vehicles are equipped with RH drive steering wheels. Except indeed in Great Britain.

/ How Russians pull car from lake. #20