How to keep grass from sticking to the mowing deck

/ How to keep grass from sticking to the mowing deck #1  

Squidbait

Bronze Member
Tractor
2018 JD 1025R
Greetings Gentleman,

I have a new 2018 1025R with a 60" auto connect mower deck. I have not mowed with yet, but before I do I wanted to you ask you gentlemen a question: What do you do to the bottom of your mower decks (if anything) to keep grass from sticking to it? I know there will always be grass that sticks to the underside of the deck, but do any of you guys Wax the bottom of you mower deck with car wax or use graphite spray or oil to keep the grass from sticking to the bottom of your mower decks? Are there any other common practices that people use to keep grass from sticking and building up on the deck bottom. Any info would be appreciated.

NOTE: I do not have a mulching kit for my mower nor do I plan to get one. The grass I mow can get tall and thick at times: up to 10 inches in some places if not cut for a while or we have a lot of rain for a week or so. Again thank you for your input. :)

/ How to keep grass from sticking to the mowing deck #2  
I've never had a problem cutting dry grass. If I'm forced to mow wet grass I usually wash the deck off.

/ How to keep grass from sticking to the mowing deck #3  
What 4570Man said....with just a garden hose. Then there is some build up on my MMM anyway. After awhile I lay down and scrape the heavy layers off with a long handled tool that I made for the occasion. I've never tried a "pretreatment" to prevent grass from sticking. I doubt that such a treatment would last long anyway during the busy mowing season.
Cheers,
Mike

/ How to keep grass from sticking to the mowing deck #4  
Good hose rinsing,around the 3rd mowing putty knife etc. good scraping.

/ How to keep grass from sticking to the mowing deck #5  
I've never had a problem cutting dry grass. If I'm forced to mow wet grass I usually wash the deck off.

Me, too. Years ago I tried spraying a real fine mist of motor oil on the bottom of the mower deck. It might have helped a little bit, but not worth the trouble. I found either the air hose or water hose worked as well as anything else.

/ How to keep grass from sticking to the mowing deck #6  
Air hose after every mowing is what I do, and don't have a build-up problem. I don't use water.. makes a mess wherever.
Never put it away wet, is my motto.

/ How to keep grass from sticking to the mowing deck #7  
They make a Teflon paint. I think I saw it at TSC. Not sure if it will hold up. After awhile the grass will wear off any paint.

/ How to keep grass from sticking to the mowing deck #9  
I blow the top off with a leaf blower after every use. Almost every fall, if I happen to think about it, I will raise the deck to transport height and mow some cornstalks after the field was picked. But mostly, I don't give 2 hoots about the bottom side of the mower deck. I keep it parked inside and is made of thick enough metal that it will most likely outlast me.

Last edited:
   / How to keep grass from sticking to the mowing deck #10  
I hit mine with fluid film every fall when I clean her up and put her away. Keeps it down a good deal. That said wet grass will stick to anything