How to trap a skunk

/ How to trap a skunk #11  
roxynoodle said:
... I don't shoot ...

It's pretty easy to learn. But, please use extreme caution because shooting can be a very addictive hobby, not to mention a very empowering skill ... especially out in the country.

/ How to trap a skunk #12  
a polecat is a skunk.... name comes because you "wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole"

It's time to find a warm place for the winter... no babies... they are youngsters by now...

Never had a baby skunk, I dunno what noises they make in the nest.

They don't climb.... that is, high into trees. They will get into stuff at and near ground level.

I'd recommend that you get a single shot shot gun... 20 gauge... since you are likely to be less worried about the kick than with a 12 gauge, since you don't have one now. Single shots are disdained by the expensive hunting crowd... but, all it takes is one well placed shot... and a shotgun gives you an opportunity to be just a shade off and still "get your critter".

With a shotgun you can get a large range of shells. Thus, one gun does double duty. I'd use the following shot on these critters... all at close range of a few feet to 20 yards. Experience will let you get further range... but that is hunting... we are talking about shooting stuff here:

buckshot = rabid/unwanted dog, coyote, self defense (you say you don't have animal control in your area, so guess you may have to do it yourself)
Number 2 or 4 shot = coon, rabbit, possum, armadillo, goose, duck
number 6 = squirrel, snake
number 8 = dove, quail, snake
number 9 = skeet, clay pigeons, target practice, dove, quail

A single shot is easy to understand how to operate. My kids and many others started out with a single shot. I used one until I was an adult. It's not a toy, it's lethal. You could buy a new one, or get one at a pawn shop or used gun store. They are usually very reliable and the least expensive, most effective gun you can have.

I'm sure others will chime in with warnings, etc... but I know you are a smart and capable person and will understand what I'm saying above.

/ How to trap a skunk #13  
After watching a debate between our govenor and her opponent I may suggest you bait a trap with the promise of an audience with potential voters- should attract just about any "polecat" around this time of year!

/ How to trap a skunk #14  
My uncle was somewhat famous, and imfamous, for his skunk catching ability. Coming home late one night after a few drinks he found himself on the wrong end of a large skunk. This happened well into the shed at the back door to the kitchen. He'd heard of lifting skunks by the tail and quickly made the grab. That success lead to the disposal problem. He walked out of the shed and threw the skunk into the darkness...and the open window of his car. The skunk regained his feet & initiated payback. Through the years he picked up many more skunks & learned to release them gently. He's never been sprayed that I know of.
I was clearing a powerline with a swingsaw and tripped. Headed for the ground I looked to see what I'd be landing on. In the brush in my path was a skunk that was as scared as I was, I jumped up & we parted company. He didn't spray.
I hate to see people killing skunks. They're the only critter I know of that digs up & eats hornet nests. Much rather have skunks around than racoons. MikeD74T

/ How to trap a skunk #15  
roxy - on the single shot shotgun - It's what my Dad and Uncle started my cousin and I out on. We had 410s - they were both single shot, break open type, but his had a hammer and mine had a safety. We both liked mine better. Pulling that hammer back was a dangerous option - if it slipped before it locked - it went off - as in "going off half cocked". Don't know what you may find - but I'd look at 20 ga autos as well. --or pump --

/ How to trap a skunk #16  
Mike, I started on a double barrelled 12 gauge and then later a 410, but both had hammers and I always thought I'd prefer that to the "safety". I never had a problem with an accidental discharge with those guns, but my Dad used a pump 12 gauge that had belonged to his dad. It had a hammer, also, and was worn enough that if he pumped it fast, the hammer would fall and an accidental discharge.

/ How to trap a skunk #17  
my Dad used a pump 12 gauge that had belonged to his dad. It had a hammer, also, and was worn enough that if he pumped it fast, the hammer would fall and an accidental discharge.

The same thing happened to me when I was about 12. Rabbit hunting with my dad, using my granddaddy's pump, rabbit jumped up I shot, and then pumped a round and the gun went off - thank God I was pointing the gun away from my Dad, but it still scared the crap out of me to the point I never shot that gun ever again.

Now back to the skunk riddance

/ How to trap a skunk #18  
Glad to hear that others have executed the skunk snatch successfully... However, can't say that I want to emulate the disposal method:eek:

Roxynoodle, what 'cha gonna do?:)

/ How to trap a skunk
I'm not sure yet. I still haven't actually seen it, although some animal was out there yesterday morning. Nor has it sprayed since Sunday. There is always the possibility it will leave on it's own. A tractor going in and out of it's new house may cause it to rethink living arrangements. If I'm lucky it will leave! If not, then I may have to consider either buying or borrowing a shotgun. I have neighbors who like to shoot and hunt so it is possible one will dispatch it for me over the weekend. I just want it gone because I don't want to get sprayed. Years ago during an ice storm, a skunk went into my barn to seek shelter, I went in there at 5am to feed horses and as soon as I got through the door I was sprayed. And I'm here to tell you that no matter how long you shower and scrub soap and water do not eliminate that smell. I was debating how I was going to tell work I was going to be late when thankfully the storm caused school to close! Luckily not many people are out at that time in the morning, especially in storms, and I was able to hit a 24 hour grocery store and buy several large cans of tomato juice. It really does work. In fact I should restock that today just in case.

/ How to trap a skunk #20  
Winter is coming. You have a good sheltered place. I know you have feed for your horse, maybe corn in the corn crib. I can't see any reason that it will volunteer to leave.. I'm sure that it has its place in the ecosystem... but doubt that you see it as part of your animal husbandry system...

An understanding and patient neighbor may just happen to be there, with gun and ammo when it is sighted. However, my experience is that it's best to have your own ability to do things. Since you have not yet seen it, but surely it is there, your best bet is to have/borrow a shot gun and be prepared for when it does show its head. I again recommend shotgun because its pellets don't fly as far as a bullet, don't ricoshay and yet is deadly accurate at closer ranges, which is what you are talking about.