How to trap a skunk

/ How to trap a skunk
Couldn't tell ya the last time this corncrib actually had corn in it. I use it as a garage. Tractor, implements, riding mower and yard tools are in it. The horses live in the pole barn and their grain is in old chest freezers to keep rats out. But, the corncrib does provide dry shelter. For some reason that skunk likes to open one of the steel storage cabinets. I'm finding it open nearly everyday. Luckily I haven't come across the skunk sitting in it. I doubt there's much in there to eat but maybe it sees it as a good place to sleep. I will probably borrow a shotgun and keep vigil this weekend. I haven't ever used a shotgun though. I once shot a .357 handgun and that is about it. I have neighbors and friends who hunt and have a lot of gun experience that can probably teach me the basics and safety. One neighbor is a deputy sheriff and she could definitely help me. I'll keep y'all posted on the outcome. Either I will get it, or it will get me!

/ How to trap a skunk #22  
LOL ... :D I'm betting on you, Roxynoodle:)

I recommend you practice a few shots with the shotgun at 20 feet.

Get a cardboard box, plastic 5 gal bucket, slab of plywood... something you don't need anymore as a target... tape a rectangle about the size of skunk body on it as a target.. do something to designate which end is the head.

Place target in neighborhood of where yoou believe you are likely to see the skunk and do practice there... observe the pattern of shot. Use number 4 if you have to purchase shells. If you are using borrowed shells, number 2, 4, or 6 will do OK. I wouldn't go bigger or smaller.

Reason for practicing in neighborhood of where you anticipate seeing the skunk is that you will predetermine what area is OK to shoot into and what area has stuff you don't want shot up. Obviously, you will wait until the skunk is in a kill zone with nothing sensitive behind it.

Typical skunk behavior is to amble around and stop occasionally to look around. If possible, wait until it is stopped to take your shot. Most of the skunks I have seen do not RUN from a human that they observe but tend to move away at a medium clip, stopping occasionally. So, even if it sees you, typically there is time to move into a good/better shooting position or wait until it moves itself into a good location.

Suggestion... constrain your dog somehow... you don't want it as a distraction to you and/or the skunk while you are engaging the stinker!

Try several shots at different distances..... you will observe that the shot scatters out the further you are from the target. I repeat, a shotgun is lethal and will certainly do the trick. I like the idea of you getting some advice from the Deputy lady.

Somthing to focus on is keeping the butt of the gun to your shoulder, tight... OK, not terribly tight but just against the shoulder.... there will be a "kick" which drives the butt of the gun back as the pellets move forward. This is more surprising than painful ..... but if you have an inch of air between your shoulder and the butt of the gun, it sometimes can be a whallop. It's easy to avoid this, just something that often newbie shotgunners forget to do... keep the gun to your shoulder... makes for better aim, too.

Finally, this really isn't that hard... just a new experience for you... it'll be fun:)

/ How to trap a skunk #23  
We have skunks by thw 10's. I use two methods. If you have time--the skunk will come out about dark for his night food run. You wait and watch, follow him out away from your buildings so stink not too bad and use the shotgun. OR Live trap where you can get a good shot with 22. Shoot clean in the head and between mesh so you don't mess up the trap. If you get a good head shot no stink--or not too bad-----

/ How to trap a skunk
I know about the kick back on the gun, have heard many stories of people who knocked themselves down because the gun wasn't up against the shoulder. I also won't win a Darwin award if the gun doesn't fire by looking down the barrel and pulling the trigger in a sadly stupid method of diagnosing a problem, LOL! Hopefully before the weekend is out, there is no skunk.

/ How to trap a skunk #25  
Kick of a 20 gauge isn't bad... 12 gauge is more... I've never seen anyone get knocked down by pulling the trigger of a shotgun... I think this is an item for Myth Busters... there is just so much more mass in a person, even a small woman, than what gets sent out the barrell that this would occur only if you were completely unbalanced and about to fall backwards anyway and just needed a slight tap to do it.... not a good or safe shooting stance!

/ How to trap a skunk
I don't know if the people who claim to have been knocked down were using shotguns or rifles or musket loaders. I'm not even sure I know the difference between them. I believe a shotgun fires pellets that expand (or break into several pieces on impact) and that a rifle fires bullets? I have one friend who claims to have been hit in the face by a .44 magnum. Obviously I need some gun education.

/ How to trap a skunk #27  
Have a friend cut open a shotgun shell and the mystery will be solved. Basically a shell has several sections in it... won't go in to extreme detail, here is a web site with pretty pictures Parts of Shotgun Shell :)

It's a really neat site.. I just found it. Click the NEXT bullet shape at the bottom for a truly quick and excellent summary of what you need to know about shot.

Fundamentally, the shell contains a teaspoon full of shot... these are round pellets... which are held together by a plastic wad/baggie that holds the shot together as it travels down the barrel. Upon exiting the barrell, the wad falls away harmlessly and the shot begins to diverge as it continues to travel. This occurs in an ever expanding circle the further you get from the barrel. When you get way far away from the barrell, the individual shot is so far apart that there can be several inches between each pellet. It's kinda like throwing a handful of little rocks. At a medium distance, the shot are still close together, but may cover an area of a dinner plate up to that of a large round serving platter.

The size of shot is measured in numbers.... big stuff is buckshot, or 00 shot (size of small marble). Really small stuff is number 9 or 81/2 (about the size of a pepper corn). Use a big number for big game, smaller number for smaller game... the site gives you excellent guidelines.

/ How to trap a skunk #28  
I've trapped three adults and three babies between February and July of this year, and the last remaining adult has moved off our property (so I think we are done for the year). I use a Have-a-Heart trap because I, well, have a heart. It is not the solid metal cage, but is the traditional wire bar cage.

The skunks like to hang out by the bird feeder, next to the house, so they have to go. Then there was the mother and four babies that made a den in the riding arena - they had to go. Kinda scared some of the boarders riding in the arena when all five of them waddled out into the ring. We are pretty good about keeping food and things edible stored in metal containers, so I think it was just the shelter they liked there.

Anyway, I put the cage out at night, and when I catch one, and its not the occasional possum, I'll just go out there and throw a blanket on top of it, quietly pick it up, trying not to shake or move it any more than necessary, and put it in the back of the pickup and drive it across the river to a state wilderness area and open up the cage. I peel the blanket back just enough to expose the door, open the door and push a metal rod in near the top front of the cage so the door stays open. Then I kind of sprint back to the truck and hop in and wait for them to waddle out. Takes a few minutes, but they get out and move off.

I think by waiting all night, stuck in the cage, that they get the excitement out of their system. Sure there is a lot of dirt in the cage, from trying to dig their way out, but they are always quiet in the morning - they don't move much and don't make a sound. They don't spray. I'm not sure thats a coincidence because I've done it five times this year and its the same situation every time. Knock on wood.

Pete

/ How to trap a skunk #29  
Here's a much quieter way.

Get a Hav-a-hart trap. Tie a long rope to it. Pull skunk and trap into deep enough water.

Not as fun as shotgun but cheaper.

/ How to trap a skunk #30  
I'm wondering how the skunk removal is going...

Have you been skunked?