how well built are Workmaster 55

/ how well built are Workmaster 55
the dealer is looking for a 4020 but, i'm not sure how much more they are compared to the WM. I'm guessing maybe 9000-10000 more, which is way more than i want to spend. with that being said, i do not want to settle for less tractor soley based on price.

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #12  
Just realize that the Workmaster is an economy tractor. (so is the JD 5055e) It does not have the same features, driveline, etc., as the T4020 or T4030. For instance, the WM has a gear reduction final drive and smaller lift arms. It does not have the same 3ph capacity as the T series. The transmission is different, the clutch is different, the T series has better hydraulics, the T4020 weighs over a ton more than the WM, etc, etc, etc.
If you really want a NH, I would suggest that you look hard at the T series.
Here's the NH specs for both tractors. Look for yourself. Then compare them side-by-side at the dealer.
Agricultural-Tractors New Holland Workmaster - Models, technical data and characteristics
Agricultural-Tractors New Holland T4000 - Models, technical data and characteristics
BTW, I have a TN70A. (basically, same tractor as the T4030) And, it's a great machine. Love it. I put about 200 hours per year on it. I wouldn't even consider a WM, myself.

Looking at those spec pages, it seems to me the only things you "give up" on the WM are, factory option cab, and transmission options. The other thing I really liked about the WM series was the lack of electronics in critical systems. For me, that means 10 years down the line, I don't have to worry about dodgy grounds causing reliability issues.

Again, in my circumstance (35 acre horse farm), if the tractor can do the work I need it to do, simplicity and ease of repair trumps comfort and convenience every day. If I spent 6-8 hours a day, multiple days per week, week after week, in the seat, comfort and convenience would have a higher importance.

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #13  
I am thinking of upgrading my tractor and have narrowed the search to few tractors. On the short list is the work master. How well built are these tractors? This will be by 3rd tractor, the first was 1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee, and the second and current is a 2005 New Holland TC48DA. I want MFWD and a FEL which is why i am thinking about trading. I wish NH still made my TC48!!! i would just get another one with MFWD, FEL and be done but, they don't.

Anybody that has a WM55 feel free to jump in and let me know how well it has performed and how you use it.

Pricing i have gotten is from one reputable dealer that i currently use to get filters and such my current tractor.

Used 2012 Workmaster 55 with FEL, MFWD and less than 200hrs $21.9k
New 2012 Workmaster 55 with FEL, MFWD $26.4k
New 2011 Workmaster 65 with FEL , MFWD $25.5k

Is the pricing about right???

One point that has not been mentioned previously in this thread is the Workmaster series does not have a fully synchronized main transmission. Rather, the main transmission is synchronized in third and fourth only. This was enough to remove it from my consideration list when shopping for a no frills mowing tractor.

SDT

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #14  
One point that has not been mentioned previously in this thread is the Workmaster series does not have a fully synchronized main transmission. Rather, the main transmission is synchronized in third and fourth only. This was enough to remove it from my consideration list when shopping for a no frills mowing tractor.

This is true. If you spend a lot of time shifting gears (not just forward/reverse, which is a shuttle shift), the transmission would be offputting.

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #15  
Never said that an economy tractor wasn't "capable." Just said that it ain't the same. I don't know about you but I work my tractors. In addition to other tasks, I cut, rake, and bale about 90 acres of hay meadows, three to four times per year. For instance, the T4020 will handle a 1000 roll of hay on the FEL. I'd be willing to bet the WM would have to have rear ballast to pick it up, and even then, it's not going to be as stable as the T series that weighs 2300# more. When mowing, having twice as many gears to choose from on the T series comes in very handy. Etc, etc, etc. That's all I'm saying. They are not in the same category.

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #16  
Looking at those spec pages, it seems to me the only things you "give up" on the WM are, factory option cab, and transmission options. . .

With all due respect sir, you're WAY off.
I see in your signature that you have a 5600. The WM 65 is supposed to be roughly the same hp as your old Ford. If you can find a dealer that has one, just go drive it around the lot, shift the gears, and take a long hard look at the lift arms, axle housings, etc. It ain't the same tractor. I'll bet that if you're honest, you wouldn't trade your 5600 for it even. :D

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #17  
Agree that I wish there was a lower low gear. Here's a picture of the loader with bolt on forks carrying 13 pressure treated 8 foot long 6-7 inch round posts. 70-80 lbs a piece. We have carried many more on the forks. BTW the rears are weighted.

We've pulled a Woods 312 (12 foot batwing) mower with it as well.

As for not the same, probably true. But I'll say again, I would rather have a simple tractor I can fix myself and sacrifice some convenience features. If I could buy a brand new Ford 5600 (4wd version of my old one) I would in a heartbeat. Simple to fix, stone reliable.

Attachments

• 326048_2560035614280_960155145_o.jpg
    326048_2560035614280_960155145_o.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 1,743
   / how well built are Workmaster 55 #18  
With all due respect sir, you're WAY off.
I see in your signature that you have a 5600. The WM 65 is supposed to be roughly the same hp as your old Ford. If you can find a dealer that has one, just go drive it around the lot, shift the gears, and take a long hard look at the lift arms, axle housings, etc. It ain't the same tractor. I'll bet that if you're honest, you wouldn't trade your 5600 for it even. :D

You got that right. MY 5600 is NEVER going anywhere. But I need the 4wd for snow work, work in the muck etc. My biggest issue with the newest tractors are all the electronics involved in them. Yes, it improves fuel efficiency etc, but I don't like having to wait for someone to come troubleshoot a modern system. I like pulling out the manuals and fixing it myself. All these "sensors" that'll shut you down seems like a great system to get people to buy new tractors every few years.

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #19  
If he was to get one id say he would like it because it almost twice the tractor he has now!

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #20  
You got that right. MY 5600 is NEVER going anywhere. But I need the 4wd for snow work, work in the muck etc. My biggest issue with the newest tractors are all the electronics involved in them. Yes, it improves fuel efficiency etc, but I don't like having to wait for someone to come troubleshoot a modern system. I like pulling out the manuals and fixing it myself. All these "sensors" that'll shut you down seems like a great system to get people to buy new tractors every few years.
Those old x600 series Fords are the best. :thumbsup: (see the 2600 in my sig?)
I understand your concerns about the electronic engine controls. I wonder about that myself. And, only time will tell.
I also understand your need for a MFWD tractor with a FEL. They're "handier than pockets on a shirt."
Some people are fine with an "economy" tractor. And, like you, they have a dependable old "beast" for the grunt work. And, if I had a need for an economy tractor, it would be a NH or JD because of the dealer support.