how well built are Workmaster 55

/ how well built are Workmaster 55
waiting on the tractor to get to the dealer so, i can test drive it before i buy it! I decided to go with a brand new 2012 NH T4020, MFWD, FEL and metal canopy. It has the 16.9 x 24 back tires (R1) which i don't like but for the price I can live with the tires not filling the wheel wells. The salesmen told me that i would probably not be happy with the workmaster and that T4020 would be more comparable to what i am use to except it is a lot heavier and more HP.

it does have a few options on it that i like, 16x16 power shuttle, 16.9gpm hyd. pump, mid valve and FEL brackets(ready for bucket), horizontal exhaust (so it should fit in my barn with the rops down), deluxe 3 point hitch (not sure what this is), lift-o-matic (not sure what this is either), and telescoping stablizers.

I am hoping I like it cause if not my options are limited and i'm not sure where to look next.

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #32  
waiting on the tractor to get to the dealer so, i can test drive it before i buy it! I decided to go with a brand new 2012 NH T4020, MFWD, FEL and metal canopy. It has the 16.9 x 24 back tires (R1) which i don't like but for the price I can live with the tires not filling the wheel wells. The salesmen told me that i would probably not be happy with the workmaster and that T4020 would be more comparable to what i am use to except it is a lot heavier and more HP.

it does have a few options on it that i like, 16x16 power shuttle, 16.9gpm hyd. pump, mid valve and FEL brackets(ready for bucket), horizontal exhaust (so it should fit in my barn with the rops down), deluxe 3 point hitch (not sure what this is), lift-o-matic (not sure what this is either), and telescoping stablizers.

I am hoping I like it cause if not my options are limited and i'm not sure where to look next.

I've looked at the Workmasters and find them to be good values in a basic, no frills workhorse. I, too decided to buy a T series, a T4050 supersteer deluxe, in my case only because it was in stock at my dealer, they really wanted to get rid of it, and it became a once in a lifetime deal. At the time, I was looking for a 60 - 65 PTO HP open station tractor for mowing duty but bought the T4050 simply because I could buy it for just a bit more money than what I was looking for in an open station 70 HP Kubota.

SDT

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #33  
I've looked at the Workmasters and find them to be good values in a basic, no frills workhorse. I, too decided to buy a T series, a T4050 supersteer deluxe, in my case only because it was in stock at my dealer, they really wanted to get rid of it, and it became a once in a lifetime deal. At the time, I was looking for a 60 - 65 PTO HP open station tractor for mowing duty but bought the T4050 simply because I could buy it for just a bit more money than what I was looking for in an open station 70 HP Kubota.

SDT
I agree with your assessment of the Workmaster tractor. It is one of the things that I find most appealing. I bought the shop manuals and figure I should be able to do most maintenance on it myself (just like my Ford 5600)

Well, I test drove the tractor last week and really liked it. On the way to test drive it i got to thinking for a little bit more money i could have got a T4.75 with a cab, FEL, MFWD. it was a never used lease tractor. When i got to the dealer i liked the T4020 so much that i never even test drove the T4.75.

The power shuttle is going to take some getting use to on my part. The only negative i found is the tractor seems sluggish when i hit the throttle but, i may not have been in the right set of gears. I never noticed the turbo whistling but, it had plenty of power with out the turbo kicking in or it is a very quite turbo!

Now, just waiting on the tractor to be outfitted the way i want it and delivery.....hopefully friday!

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #35  
Congrats on the new tractor. I know it doesn't matter now that you bought one but I own a Farmall 45A which is the same basic tractor as the workmaster 55 but just a few less hp. I bought it for a specific purpose and it has easily surpassed my expectations. I don't know what seat is on the NH but the Farmall has an incredibly comfortable and supportive seat. It is actually the most comfortable tractor I own for working long hours. My main use was running a side mounted post pounder as well as tedding and raking hay. I have also ran a Bush Hog 295 rotary cutter (was a little heavy for a 2wd tractor but it still handled it), 4 row corn planter and cultivator to name a few. For anyone looking for a simple, reliable tractor I would strongly recommend the Farmall/Workmaster 45/55's. The engine is very quiet (you can actually operate this tractor at pto speed without going deaf) and responsive. The tractor has the fastest road speed of any tractor I have ever used (not that it matters to very many people but I road my equipment between farms). Also, the tractor comes with one set of rear remotes as well as telescopic stabilizers and lift arms for the 3pt which makes hooking up equipment so much easier. Those are standard features that you have to pay a premium for on other models/brands usually. Also, the tool box is decent size and metal which will take abuse a lot better then the plastic tool boxes I find on other tractors. The first thing that happened with the plastic tool box on my TN65 was a mouse chewed a hole in it :(

To put it this way, I like my Farmall 45A so much I have actually looked at buying a Farmall 55A with FWA to add to the fleet as well. Their great little tractors and they don't kill the wallet in the process. But in the end they are not for everyone, it all depends on your use but I do feel for a general utility tractor they are well worth the investment.

The workmaster 45 and my TC48da have the same engine and i agree it is very quite and runs well. My CUT spoiled me, otherwise i would have probably bought a workmaster. I liked the simplicity of the workmaster but, also like some of the features of my current CUT and the T4020. I hope that the power shuttle doesn't give me any trouble in the long run but, i have also read that some of the NH are susceptible to electrical problems so time will tell. I hope mine is trouble free tractor just like my CUT has been. One thing i don't like is the digital dash on the T4020.

I was really hoping to stick with new holland for several reason most of which i have had very good luck with my current tractor. I had buddy's try to talk me into getting a john deere but, to get something like the T series it would have cost a lot more for a JD. I just need a reliable tractor that will out live me.

I still want to buy an old ford 3000 because i like those tractors.

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #37  
I really like my 55 the only thing I wish it had was the lift o matic button but other than that the gears are fully synchronized but the 75 model isn't or I would of bought it for the more hp

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #38  
Just under 400 hours on my WM55 now. Last year, we had the block heater installed and even during the 6 weeks where we never got above freezing (most nights in the single digits or below 0), it started perfectly every time and ran like a champ. The only thing we've run into is, occasionally the fuel gauge and the tach won't budge off 0 when the tractor starts. Over time, as it heats up, they'll register again. I suspect loose contact behind the instrument cluster, but it's so intermittent, I haven't got into it to check. When it gets warmer, I'll open that up and have a look.

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #39  
I noticed it was mentioned that the Farmall tractors and the Boomers were made by LS? Does anyone know anything about that? Is LS a good reliable tractor?

/ how well built are Workmaster 55 #40  
I noticed it was mentioned that the Farmall tractors and the Boomers were made by LS? Does anyone know anything about that? Is LS a good reliable tractor?

Depends on the Boomer. The Boomers and small Workmasters are LS. The larger Workmasters are not LS products (WM45, 55, 65 and 75).