How would you compare two HST transmissions?

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #21  
The only reason that is needed is because the engine isn't torquey (is that a word?) enough to push into the pile in high range. One way to skin that cat would be to give it a low gear to compensate, and if you go that route, then indeed being able to shift ranges in the fly is a plus. My analogy to the Mack was to point out another approach. Instead of needing a 3 speed transaxle like the freighliner, Mack built an engine that had such torque rise that it kept pulling down at 800 rpm. If your tractor could push in the pile in high, you wouldn't care if it was easy to shift into low.

There are surely downsides to that approach, but from an operator's standpoint having to shift bless often is better in my opinion.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #22  
Yes the tractors are unable to push into a pile of dirt in high and sometimes medium. I can also drive on the road in HH and shift into HL to pull a hill.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #23  
I can drive into a pile in medium, just the same as my buddies L5240 ... I only have 3 ranges, he has 6. Our torque numbers are nearly identical (mine has a bigger engine but he has a turbo). Maybe my 3 range HST is stronger than Kubota 6 spd (LOL jk)

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #24  
My Kioti just has a regular old garden variety 3-range HST. I would pay more for HST+, but I wouldn't exclude all other brands from consideration because of it.

It would certainly be a factor in the decision, but there are other things that I consider to be important on a tractor than the HST+ transmission.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #25  
I have the 3 range ehydro in my 4520 which works well but would prefer the high/low option the HST+ has. That is a feature the Kubota has that is an improvement over Deere and other brands imo.

Pulling a box blade in L then being able to back up in H would a time saver for me. When you consider that the range gears on a hydro set up are not synchronized, then shifting all day long can be irritating.

I have not read any complaints from owners of the HST+ transmissions either. To Kubota's credit it is a good design and works very well.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #26  
In all fairness, HST+ isn't the only reason I'm mostly only looking at Kubota to replace my Kubota L3200 with a premium cabbed machine.

I'll probably be looking at Kioti again as the Kubota's I'm now looking at match up size wise with their smallest premium cabbed machines. Kubota quality & HST+ will be hard to beat though.

It's annoying to have to shift between L & M when digging stuff out of a pile, then transporting it a ways. My L3200 doesn't have the torque to pull it off in M regularly, especially if the pile has settled a bit. The L3800 which is the same machine with 6 more HP might, but I duno. If we had unlimited torque, we'd need no gears at all.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #27  
I can drive into a pile in medium, just the same as my buddies L5240 ... I only have 3 ranges, he has 6. Our torque numbers are nearly identical (mine has a bigger engine but he has a turbo). Maybe my 3 range HST is stronger than Kubota 6 spd (LOL jk)

Hook 'em draw bar to draw bar and see what will pull more.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #28  
Well, that's interesting. The HSTs can't spin the wheels in M range. I don't feel so bad about having an old gear tractor now. :laughing:

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #29  
That would be interesting... I think we will

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #30  
Well, that's interesting. The HSTs can't spin the wheels in M range. I don't feel so bad about having an old gear tractor now. :laughing:

Mine will. Sure won't spin them in Hi though.