HST vs. Gear

/ HST vs. Gear #91  
Dargo Quote: "Sorry, I can honestly say that I've simply just lost interest in this discussion when it becomes this ridiculous. I'm going to step outside and watch the cows jump over the moon. Hopefully I won't catch my skirt on the fence on my way out." )</font>

Dargo nailed it on this one. Somone please put this one into the "all time best" category.

/ HST vs. Gear #92  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( C'mon now Chris. You know good and well that I'm not picking on a gear transmission )</font>

I know.. I forgot to add the smiley /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif sorry.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( one arrogant guy. I can give you tons and tons of instances where someone has been stuck by an unscrupulous dealer on a repair of a standard transmission. I've had several dozen apart. I assure you that clutch discs, pressure plates, throw out bearings, synchronizers, incorrectly cast gears, thrust bearings etc. etc. can and do wear out. That's not to mention the sand from cheap castings that I've found in some of the cheap imports )</font>

I a;so agree.. a shelled out gear tranny is still going to be an expensive rebuild... I have a feeling it will be slightly less expensive than a hydro. I also get the feeling after looking at a parts manual.. that if I had 2 tractors with bad trannies.. and one was a hydro.. I'd send the hydro to the dealer... I feel confident in pulling the gear trans apart way more than I would trust myself inthe hydro tranny. Similarly.. many of our local tractor repair shpos usually refer you to the OE dealer for hydro trans repairs... though i do know that one local guy will work on dual power setups and the like.. etc..

Soundguy

/ HST vs. Gear #93  
DaTeacha,

I would keep the little bota to have a second tractor for the small jobs a larger tractor is not best suited for.
And if you decide on HST tranny you can always get your gear fix with the bota.

/ HST vs. Gear #94  
Everybody has an opinion. It shows a “higher lever of conciousness” when a person is able to respect someone else’s opinions & beliefs, especially when those opinions are different from their own. When people are unable to respect others opinions because they don’t understand or agree with them it leads to fights and even wars.

A gradual consensus seems to have evolved at the TBN site leading to an understanding that it is the owner, rather than the tractor type, that determines what is best for each particular person

/ HST vs. Gear #95  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Am I the only guy here who uses turning brakes? To me the ability to lock a rear wheel and pivot on it when needed, as I have several times in recent weeks, makes the gear the tranny of choice. I have yet to see a hydro that allows you to lock one rear wheel when needed for tight quarters maneuvering. If you know of one in the sub 30 hp range, please share your knowledge. And, yes, I've driven a Deere with the pedals on both sides - a 3120. )</font>

I have a JD 4200 HST (26 Hp) and I use the brakes for turning frequently. I can lock one wheel and turn this machine on a dime. I back drag the driveway and use the brakes to steer the tractor.
Anyway that is my 2 cents worth
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #96  
Just to keep the thread current.. here is a link to a message on this board, just posted, about another fellow with a potential 6500$ HST headache /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Not bad.. 2 in 2 weeks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though... Seems like these bad boys are a tad difficult to troubleshoot... guess you can't just pop the top cover and roll the input shaft over and look for missing teeth huh /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soundguy

/ HST vs. Gear #97  
Whoops, looks like you neglected to post the link? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sounds like we will all have to wait at least another 50 years or so for HST technology to catch up to Gear technology! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've only got 20 years on our HST so far so probably won't be able to discover whether or not it is reliable during this lifetime, maybe the Grandson can report on the HST situation in 2075 or so..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #98  
   / HST vs. Gear #99  
That is simple to adjust with the adjustment bolt in about two minutes, sounds like a good stealer dealer to me.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #100  
At least one of the dealers doesn't have a clue what they are doing. But which one?