HST vs. Gear

/ HST vs. Gear #101  
I think its been said several times.

HST will likely cost a LITTLE more for regular maintenance, but not worth factoring into your decision.

If you are considering which to buy from a reliabilty standpoint, you can't go wrong with either.

Buy based on what you want to do with the tractor not how much it might cost if it breaks. There are some things that one is often better than the other. Ask you dealer to demo both. Get what YOU like and need based on YOUR intended use. An experienced operator will get the job done on either one. Its a personal preference, much like the color of the ride.

/ HST vs. Gear #102  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Buy based on what you want to do with the tractor not how much it might cost if it breaks )</font>

Hmm.. for those of us that are not rich.. we DO have to figure in repair/replacement cost if it brakes.. when we purchase.

Realistically.. if machine A and machine B will both do the same work.. and machine A will cost.. 2500 for a shelled tranny.. and machine B will cost 5000 for a shelled tranny.. then yes... that is a factor when buying. It is not the only factor.. nor is it the most important... but it is a concern.

Kind of like printers and ink cartridges. do you get the printer that takes the 20$ cartridges.. or the one that takes the 34$ cartridges? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soundguy

/ HST vs. Gear #103  
Yes, but the key word is IF it breaks. I personally would not make a decesion based on something that might never happen, when the choice would affect your everyday use. My point was that most of the modern trannies are very reliable and a selection based on use makes more sense than how much it would cost to replace after catastrophic failure if one ever occurs.

Printers. I get the one that is faster... forget the price. But I do hate to change cartridges... so maybe the one that lasts longer. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Lets start a new thread ink vs laser. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #104  
I'd be more interested in hearing the make/model/condition of that 25hp gas tractor you have thrown around in your comparisons. So far.. this will be my 3rd time asking.

If you won't reveal the details of the source of the data.. how do you expect to cite it as evidence? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Soundguy

/ HST vs. Gear #105  
I think you have me confused with someone else on that one. BTW - I never stated my choice on gear vs HST.

/ HST vs. Gear #106  
Soundguy, why don't you mention the clutches on your gear tractors. If the clutch goes once a year (which is not far-fetched), than the HST becomes more reasonable. If your going to throw around variables and if's than don't be biased towards HST.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Without any solid evidence or track record of maintence cost, how can make such accusations ?

Why buy a printer with a $20 cartridge, when you can buy one that doesn't need replacement at all ? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #107  
<font color="blue"> If the clutch goes once a year (which is not far-fetched) </font>
Once a year. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
How funny.

/ HST vs. Gear #108  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Kind of like printers and ink cartridges. do you get the printer that takes the 20$ cartridges.. or the one that takes the 34$ cartridges? )</font>

Hah! That is about as loaded a question as I have ever heard. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You buy the cartridge based on color and volume of ink, thus factoring price.

Then you must carefully hope the vendor has not slipped some EOL chip into the cartridge, which will make your purchase irrelevant if you can only use it based on time to live.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #109  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think you have me confused with someone else on that one. BTW - I never stated my choice on gear vs HST. )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Sorry.. my bad.. that reply wasn't even meant for this thread /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif guess I shouldn't try to read email while working!!!

Sorry about that.

Soundguy

/ HST vs. Gear #110  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Soundguy, why don't you mention the clutches on your gear tractors. If the clutch goes once a year (which is not far-fetched), )</font>

First.. I've gotta ask.. is this meant as a joke? I've got tractors from the 50's with original clutches. I helped my stepfather change the pto clutch on his 1979 jd 2240 after a worker of his damaged the pto shaft.. the drivetrain clutch looked almost new... didn't touch it...

How about this.. "I once knew a guy that had to change a clutch..." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Soundguy